Hilux or Colorado

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Hilux or Colorado

Postby gorganl2000 on Mon, 08 Jul 2019 11:26 +0000

hi all, i'm hoping to draw on some of your real world experience with these vehicles. I currently own an automatic 2014 dual cab SR5 Hilux pickup, but it seems i may be selling it soon. If so, I’ll upgrade to a newer vehicle and the choices are as outlined above. The Chevrolet/Holden Colorado LTZ is relatively new to our market and though they are growing in popularity, i'd say Toyota hilux, Mitsubishi L200/Triton and Isuzu D-max have been more popular here given a much longer history. We no longer get the Mitsubishi L200/triton, so that’s out of the equation. The Isuzu D-max has proven to be a workhorse, but it does seem to lack the everyday amenities and comforts of the other pickups, making it rather “basic” in comparison. I’d prefer to keep away from the Ford Ranger and Mazda BT50 for various reasons.
That leave’s the Colorado LTZ Dual Cab and the Hilux Sr5 Dual cab. From this site, I’ve seen the Hilux can have DPF issues, but I don’t think this applies to my market, as I’ve seen no DPF with all the sensors and injector system on the Thailand imports. As well, on the Colorado LTZ, there is no DPF on our model. Making them equal there.

Now, I’ve read of Colorado having oil and blowby issues on some of the Australian/NZ forums, is there any truth in this? And some problems with the automatic windows? Are there any noted issues that you may have heard of or come across from personal use or via friends with the newer 2016/2019 Colorado LTZ?

Are there any other major issues to look out for with the newer 2016/2019 Hilux? How is the manual 6 speed transmission versus the automatic 6 speed transmission? I prefer manuals, but is the Hilux clutch/pressure plate strong enough to last a long time with basic everyday use and traffic (no towing at all) ?

the Colorado is cheaper to buy new by about US$7,500 under the Hilux. I like to own my vehicles for 5 to 10 years so I’m trying to make a good investment and would appreciate any insights as to avoid unnecessary troubles/expenses in the future.
Regards.
gorganl2000

Re: Hilux or Colorado

Postby jabiru18 on Tue, 09 Jul 2019 11:24 +0000

We have a fleet of Colorados 2019 models, lots of small issues.

The earlier models kept blowing out windows when people shut the door, so now when you open or close the door the Windows all go down an inch to de pressurise the cabin. We have had them back to repair several times as they dont go back up. Not real pleasant when it very cold & raining and you cant get the windows to go up.

I would definitely test drive each one. I have driven the Colorados and they feel like a tractor compared to my Hilux which feels like a car to drive.
jabiru18

Postby Bushwalker8 on Tue, 09 Jul 2019 1:54 +0000

A trusted friend was a development Engineer with GMH prior to the local shutdown and had an extremely poor opinion of the Colorado at the time due to the ongoing quality and build issues that they struggled to resolve. He quietly & strongly recommended Hilux then, and here I am happy. Could well be different now.
Bushwalker8

Postby Phrancis on Tue, 09 Jul 2019 2:51 +0000

Opens can of worms.

RAM 1500 EXPRESS
4X4 QUAD CAB

Wish I bought one.
New SR5 manual is so gutless, no engine breaking goin down hills always on the brakes. If your gonna use it for work (Tradie), once you put a tray on and tools it's all over.
Plus DPF issues and timing chain rattle when cold (28,000k)
I still might get the old Troopy out of moth balls yet. 355,000k still going strong.

Hilux heaps more comfy though.
Phrancis

Postby HK1837 on Tue, 09 Jul 2019 4:57 +0000

He's in the Caribbean though, or I would have suggested the Ram1500 Express too. BUT you have to be careful as there is two GCM's depending upon diff ratio, one can tow 2811kg the other 3787kg at the full 800kg payload.
HK1837

Postby Tony2 on Tue, 09 Jul 2019 5:30 +0000

The people down at ‘Pedders’ tell me the Colorado has a very hard ride that many people want to ‘fix’ but I have no first hand experience.
I wouldn’t worry about the manufacturing compounds going to cheaper countries, all the big brands do that now, even Mercedes.
I think you could expect things to work better and for longer in the Toyota but if you want a faster Ute with fancy trim go the Colarado.
Oh and I think it’s quite clear from the 4x4 experts that the Toyota is better off road (if that’s your thing).
Tony2

Postby gorganl2000 on Wed, 10 Jul 2019 12:24 +0000

jabiru18 wrote:We have a fleet of Colorados 2019 models, lots of small issues.

The earlier models kept blowing out windows when people shut the door, so now when you open or close the door the Windows all go down an inch to de pressurise the cabin. We have had them back to repair several times as they dont go back up. Not real pleasant when it very cold & raining and you cant get the windows to go up.

I would definitely test drive each one. I have driven the Colorados and they feel like a tractor compared to my Hilux which feels like a car to drive.

yeah, on one of the youtube reviews i saw the window up/down was to allow the doors to close easily due to all the insulation to keep out noise, seems they went overboard in that area if it was blowing out windows before so this feature is more of a plaster....i could imagine the frustration with a heavy rain.
the reviews actually said the Colorado drove nicer on the road than the hilux, so this is why real world experiences come in handy from those in the know like yourself...
i'll try to test drive each of them soon to see...i only did basic/physical checks thus far (engine, chassis, transmission, tray, seating, etc)

Bushwalker8 wrote:A trusted friend was a development Engineer with GMH prior to the local shutdown and had an extremely poor opinion of the Colorado at the time due to the ongoing quality and build issues that they struggled to resolve. He quietly & strongly recommended Hilux then, and here I am happy. Could well be different now.

i really need to stop and ask some local Colorado owners their views as well, but thus far i've heard nothing major on the streets, but this could be due to they being relatively new to our shores...the Hilux and isuzu are proven here

Phrancis wrote:Opens can of worms.
RAM 1500 EXPRESS
4X4 QUAD CAB
Wish I bought one.
New SR5 manual is so gutless, no engine breaking goin down hills always on the brakes. If your gonna use it for work (Tradie), once you put a tray on and tools it's all over.
Plus DPF issues and timing chain rattle when cold (28,000k)
I still might get the old Troopy out of moth balls yet. 355,000k still going strong.
Hilux heaps more comfy though.

the only chevrolet (Holden) pickup we get here is the Colorado, so no Ramm express :D ...on the hilux, there is no dpf from what i can tell, it seems to be replaced with a similar shaped section (about half the size of your DPF---looks like they used part of it as a catalytic converter, but i could be wrong).

http://toyotamarket.ru/gr/672390/009/1/1701/1/25051/

https://jp-carparts.com/toyota/partlist ... 2&fig=1701

hopefully those links can show the difference in how it looks on my end...what i see locally is in the 1st link

HK1837 wrote:He's in the Caribbean though, or I would have suggested the Ram1500 Express too. BUT you have to be careful as there is two GCM's depending upon diff ratio, one can tow 2811kg the other 3787kg at the full 800kg payload.

yeah, i'm from the Barbados to be exact, most days are about 30c...its usually sunny most of the time, except during hurricane/rain season

Tony2 wrote:The people down at ‘Pedders’ tell me the Colorado has a very hard ride that many people want to ‘fix’ but I have no first hand experience.I wouldn’t worry about the manufacturing compounds going to cheaper countries, all the big brands do that now, even Mercedes. I think you could expect things to work better and for longer in the Toyota but if you want a faster Ute with fancy trim go the Colarado. Oh and I think it’s quite clear from the 4x4 experts that the Toyota is better off road (if that’s your thing).

as said above, i'll have to test drive both and compare ride quality. Yeah, toyota has a good reputation locally, but i tend to always research to get facts/opinions, because past quality does not always equate with present quality/build and can vary for any number of reasons. i will use my pickup 99% on the road/highway. i do a fair amount of driving dealing with clients (some on farms and construction sites) but my pickup will not be used for carrying any major load/tools/etc or anything such. i've Just always preferred pickups over cars/suvs, as it gives me options on the odd occasion i head to the hardware store and comes in very handy during the hurricane season when roads are flooded.
gorganl2000

Postby gorganl2000 on Wed, 10 Jul 2019 12:24 +0000

8-) 8-) 8-) thanks for all the replies so far
gorganl2000

Postby gorganl2000 on Wed, 21 Aug 2019 2:59 +0000

just as an update...i did some more research and checked out all the vehicles in questions.
i eventually got the Colorado, it feels comfortable and i like how it drives for the most part, it better suits my daily needs. Real world calculations, thus far the Colorado (11.7km/L) seems to be better on diesel over my 2014 SR5 (average 10.5km/L). I don't like the down/up window function when opening the door, but it seldom activates for me as i drive with my windows down usually while enjoying the sunny weather.
Like all the newer pick-ups, it comes with a whole host of driver assist bells and whistles---i don't care for such, so fortunately i was able to turned most of them off :D as i personally find them annoying (lane departure, vehicle proximity alerts, etc :? )

the seating position feels slightly higher in the Colorado, so i'd say i prefer how the newer and prior Hilux felt in that regard. The Colorado's auto transmission changes smoothly and accelerates gradually, like all of the other pickups it has that automatic "steep hill decent/gradient" gear down, but its not as sharp/prominent as it was in the 2014 Hilux.

it came down to a hard choice between the Colorado and the newer Hilux at the end, but i somehow preferred the front end look of Colorado over the newer Hilux. I do think the Hilux has the edge for off roading if that's something you like doing a lot.

hope that information can be useful to any other members/readers.
again, thanks to all those who provided input early on.
gorganl2000

Return to General Discussion