Shower heat exchanger

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Shower heat exchanger

Postby Golbs on Sun, 05 May 2019 7:17 +0000

Hi, fitting a Heat exchanger for my shower unit to my 2017 2.8l diesel. I thought it would be simple like my old 2005 however it does t work.
I fitted into the pipe coming up from the water pump area that goes directly into the firewall. When I did this I found the cabin heater not getting hot either. The Glind heat exchanger has directional arrows on it so I plumbed it that way. I then disconnected the pipes to check the flow and nothing comes out. I released the fill bottle cap and you get some flow from the water pump pipe. I have return the system to normal and found cabin heater still not working. I had to rev engine to 3500 rpm and then it was ok after that. Does anyone know what’s happening here please?
Golbs

Re: Shower heat exchanger

Postby Allords on Sun, 05 May 2019 9:07 +0000

Just a guess.
But if you plumbed it correctly, maybe the thermostat hadn't opened and therefore no water running the full circuit.....Into the heater box etc and back to the radiator.

Let us know if you get it working, and an install procedure
Allords

Postby Golbs on Sun, 05 May 2019 12:07 +0000

I have found the problem. I mounted the heat exchanger to the engine as the firewall is very busy. It was easy to just bypass the pipe from the water pump to the heater connection on the firewall however there is a tiny bypass from the supply pipe to the return. This wasn’t allowing the cooling system to pressurise. I was amazed it didn’t just pour out coolant. When i reved the engine I just noticed a tiny tiny dribble cooking out of the disconnected pipe. I thought it was just residue inthere. Anyhow I have re-plumbed using the original pipe and all ok now. If I could find how to post a pic here I would.
Thanks
Paul
Golbs

Postby Muzza64 on Sun, 29 Sep 2019 1:55 +0000

Golbs wrote:I have found the problem. I mounted the heat exchanger to the engine as the firewall is very busy. It was easy to just bypass the pipe from the water pump to the heater connection on the firewall however there is a tiny bypass from the supply pipe to the return. This wasn’t allowing the cooling system to pressurise. I was amazed it didn’t just pour out coolant. When i reved the engine I just noticed a tiny tiny dribble cooking out of the disconnected pipe. I thought it was just residue inthere. Anyhow I have re-plumbed using the original pipe and all ok now. If I could find how to post a pic here I would.
Thanks
Paul
Paul, don’t suppose you worked out how to post photographs? I’ve nearly completed my heat exchanger install but just need to find which pipe to use from the cooling system. If I private messaged an email address would you mind sending the photographs to there? Thanks in advance. Muzz
Muzza64

Postby Jezzabronte on Sat, 18 Jul 2020 6:17 +0000

Golbs wrote:I have found the problem. I mounted the heat exchanger to the engine as the firewall is very busy. It was easy to just bypass the pipe from the water pump to the heater connection on the firewall however there is a tiny bypass from the supply pipe to the return. This wasn’t allowing the cooling system to pressurise. I was amazed it didn’t just pour out coolant. When i reved the engine I just noticed a tiny tiny dribble cooking out of the disconnected pipe. I thought it was just residue inthere. Anyhow I have re-plumbed using the original pipe and all ok now. If I could find how to post a pic here I would.
Thanks
Paul

Hi mate ,

Can you please send me some photos of your installation ill pm my phone number thanks
Jezzabronte

Postby Muzza64 on Sun, 19 Jul 2020 3:16 +0000

Jezzabronte wrote:
Thanks
Paul

Hi mate ,

Can you please send me some photos of your installation ill pm my phone number thanks
Evening Jezzabronte, I think I still have the photographs. PM me your phone number and I will try and send them. I am in Longreach tonight with poor signal, but will try! Cheers Muzza.
Muzza64

Postby Brett2807 on Sun, 27 Dec 2020 12:04 +0000

Hi Golbs, I've come in late on this post, but wondering if I could also look at the pics of your shower install? I have a 2020 2.8 Lux and want to install one as I had them in my previous 4wd. Cheers Brett.
Brett2807

Postby Muzza64 on Thu, 31 Dec 2020 6:16 +0000

HI Brett, did you get those photographs? Just got back from a trip in the Vic high country (Lake Dartmouth) where the shower came in very handy. I can dig up photographs of the install to my 2017 Hilux if you don't already have them. PM me your email address if you need them. Cheers, Murray.
Muzza64

Postby Brett2807 on Thu, 31 Dec 2020 3:06 +0000

Hey Muzza64, nah I didn't mate. I'll shoot you a PM. Thanks mate.
Brett2807

Postby Richieh1969 on Sun, 19 Dec 2021 10:35 +0000

Hey guys.
Can anyone tell me which is the flow on the coolant system of my 2.8D?
I think I know but want to confirm so I get the right shower flow.
I have a photo but can’t add it.
Thanks
Richie.
Richieh1969

Postby willy66 on Fri, 24 Nov 2023 7:21 +0000

Golbs wrote:Hi, fitting a Heat exchanger for my shower unit to my 2017 2.8l diesel. I thought it would be simple like my old 2005 however it does t work.
I fitted into the pipe coming up from the water pump area that goes directly into the firewall. When I did this I found the cabin heater not getting hot either. The Glind heat exchanger has directional arrows on it so I plumbed it that way. I then disconnected the pipes to check the flow and nothing comes out. I released the fill bottle cap and you get some flow from the water pump pipe. I have return the system to normal and found cabin heater still not working. I had to rev engine to 3500 rpm and then it was ok after that. Does anyone know what’s happening here please?Btw, do you also use durags when you ride to protect your hair, especially for the long-haired riders out there? Saw some beautiful durags from open this.

Hey there! It sounds like you're dealing with a bit of a puzzle with your heat exchanger installation. I'm not an expert, but a few things come to mind.

Firstly, did you double-check the directional arrows on the Glind heat exchanger to ensure it's plumbed the right way? Sometimes, even a small misalignment can affect the entire system.

Regarding the lack of flow and the cabin heater issue, it might be worth checking if there are any airlocks in the system. Sometimes, a trapped air bubble can cause flow issues. Bleeding the system or ensuring all the air is out might help.

Additionally, the need to rev the engine to 3500 rpm before things normalize is interesting. It could suggest a potential issue with the water pump or circulation at lower RPMs. Have you checked the water pump for any signs of malfunction or blockage?

These are just a few thoughts to consider. I hope you get it sorted out soon! If not, a visit to a mechanic or the manufacturer's support might be a good next step. Good luck!
willy66

Return to General Discussion