2018 Hilux small tub dents from dealer fitting tub liner.

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

2018 Hilux small tub dents from dealer fitting tub liner.

Postby Diceman on Tue, 19 Mar 2019 2:59 +0000

I'm hoping some of you might be able to advise me as to where I can go from here
with an issue I'm having with Toyota?

I purchased a brand new 2018 model Hilux SR5 last year in April.
And as many of us do, I got the factory tow bar, tub liner, and tonneau cover fitted to it by the
dealer prior to delivery.
All was good with the vehicle until one day in October last year.
After washing the vehicle, I was standing just back from the right hand rear taillight having a quiet
beer when suddenly I as I looked straight along the side of the top section of the tub, I noticed a couple
of small dents. I checked the left side of the tub by looking along it, and it also in one dent in that side.
The dents were pushing outward slightly from the inside of the tub.
So I removed the tonnaeu cover to have a look at how these dents have appeared there.
Straight away I could see that where the rivets are that go through the folded over section of the tub to
hold the tub liner in place, the dents were directly in line with those rivets.
Obviously the person that had fitted the tub liner had been pushing that hard on the drill when he was doing the holes, that as he went through with the drill he was hitting the outer section of the tub causing the small dents to protrude outwards.
I have contacted the dealer a few times regarding the matter, they have inspected my vehicle, and they are not disputing what has happened which is one positive.
The negative is, they are offering to get their scratch and dent men in to fix it for me.
I said to them, I purchased a brand new vehicle that was not supposed to come with dents, so I would
like it fixed in a brand new manner in the form of a new white tub fitted, as I didn't want my new vehicle to have panel work done on it, no matter how minor it was.
I have seen these sorts of stress type dents patched up before on vehicles, only to have them crack up with crows feet in the paint a few years down the track.
After the dealer refused to replace the tub, I contacted Toyota directly to discuss the issue, and the answer from Toyota is something every new vehicle purchaser should be aware of, but that don't tell you about.
Toyota said to me that any accessories, including genuine accessories fitted by the dealer when you purchase a new vehicle is not the responsibility of Toyota, and Toyota are not obligated to fix any issues, it is up to the dealer to attend to it as they see fit.
Toyota said they would speak to the dealer to see if anything else could be done, but when they got back to me, I got the same story, it's the dealers responsibility, and they reserve the right to fix it as they see fit.
I thought that with the amount of white tubs that Toyota dealers remove from vehicles to fit trade trays, boxes etc, it wouldn't be to be an ask to have a tub put on it so I have a brand new vehicle again.

Can anyone offer some advice on this issue?
Surely my vehicle isn't the only one this has happened to with Toyota?
Where can I go from here to take the issue further?
Or am I being unreasonable?

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.
Diceman

Re: 2018 Hilux small tub dents from dealer fitting tub liner

Postby hylux on Tue, 19 Mar 2019 3:58 +0000

Cant see a new tub happening. But if you car was insured before the damage was done you should talk to your insurer. They could take care of evrrything and at no cost to you and although it would be a paintless dent repair, the work should be covered for life you own it. The insurer may use their own repaired and claim against the dealer.
I love hybrid cars - means more fuel for me
hylux

Postby Diceman on Tue, 19 Mar 2019 4:07 +0000

Thanks for the reply Hilux,
My car wasn't insured before the damage was done because it was a brand new vehicle from the dealership, and the extras were put on there before I took delivery of it.
Diceman

Postby hylux on Tue, 19 Mar 2019 4:44 +0000

Give them a call anyway - you never know. Otherwise you with the dealer doing the repair or pay for it youself via a panel beater who gives lifetime repairs warranty.

I had a few paintless repairs over the years never had issues years later
I love hybrid cars - means more fuel for me
hylux

Postby berniecam on Tue, 19 Mar 2019 6:03 +0000

Diceman wrote:I'm hoping some of you might be able to advise me as to where I can go from here
with an issue I'm having with Toyota?

I purchased a brand new 2018 model Hilux SR5 last year in April.
And as many of us do, I got the factory tow bar, tub liner, and tonneau cover fitted to it by the
dealer prior to delivery.
All was good with the vehicle until one day in October last year.
After washing the vehicle, I was standing just back from the right hand rear taillight having a quiet
beer when suddenly I as I looked straight along the side of the top section of the tub, I noticed a couple
of small dents. I checked the left side of the tub by looking along it, and it also in one dent in that side.
The dents were pushing outward slightly from the inside of the tub.
So I removed the tonnaeu cover to have a look at how these dents have appeared there.
Straight away I could see that where the rivets are that go through the folded over section of the tub to
hold the tub liner in place, the dents were directly in line with those rivets.
Obviously the person that had fitted the tub liner had been pushing that hard on the drill when he was doing the holes, that as he went through with the drill he was hitting the outer section of the tub causing the small dents to protrude outwards.
I have contacted the dealer a few times regarding the matter, they have inspected my vehicle, and they are not disputing what has happened which is one positive.
The negative is, they are offering to get their scratch and dent men in to fix it for me.
I said to them, I purchased a brand new vehicle that was not supposed to come with dents, so I would
like it fixed in a brand new manner in the form of a new white tub fitted, as I didn't want my new vehicle to have panel work done on it, no matter how minor it was.
I have seen these sorts of stress type dents patched up before on vehicles, only to have them crack up with crows feet in the paint a few years down the track.
After the dealer refused to replace the tub, I contacted Toyota directly to discuss the issue, and the answer from Toyota is something every new vehicle purchaser should be aware of, but that don't tell you about.
Toyota said to me that any accessories, including genuine accessories fitted by the dealer when you purchase a new vehicle is not the responsibility of Toyota, and Toyota are not obligated to fix any issues, it is up to the dealer to attend to it as they see fit.
Toyota said they would speak to the dealer to see if anything else could be done, but when they got back to me, I got the same story, it's the dealers responsibility, and they reserve the right to fix it as they see fit.
I thought that with the amount of white tubs that Toyota dealers remove from vehicles to fit trade trays, boxes etc, it wouldn't be to be an ask to have a tub put on it so I have a brand new vehicle again.

Can anyone offer some advice on this issue?
Surely my vehicle isn't the only one this has happened to with Toyota?
Where can I go from here to take the issue further?
Or am I being unreasonable?

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

Hi Diceman Yep bloody dealers :evil: they just do not take enough care when fitting anything to our vehicles probably got an apprentice to do it. As for the tubs that are removed when fitting trays, you would be very lucky to get one that has no dents or scratches already in them, they do not store them under cover when they remove them I have seen quite a few just out the back of the dealers shed pushed up against the wall till they decide what to do with them when they get too many just become landfill if they cannot get a scrap dealer to take them, I have seen some even stacked one on top of the other just imagine what that does for the body work. Another point is a lot of people that have removed the liner say it has caused a lot of rust underneath, bet that was caused in the first place by the drill chips falling down when they drilled holes for the pop rivets, would be too much trouble for them to put all the rivets in to locate the holes without fastening the rivets till all holes are drilled remove the liner vacuum up all chips fit liner and squeeze up the rivets. If you drill it yourself put a piece of MDF scrap behind where you are drilling, or use a drill stop on the drill bit to stop it going in too far, Personally & where possible I always do as much of fitting that I can myself after having 10 hiluxes over thirty five years & from a mechanical back ground experience was a good teacher but age is starting to catch up with me as I am now over 70 but would not swap my Hilux for anything.
Cheers :D
berniecam

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 20 Mar 2019 5:39 +0000

Hey Bernie great to hear I'm not the only'mature' Hilux owner and yes I fit all my bits myself. ;)
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Diceman on Mon, 15 Apr 2019 1:46 +0000

I'm surprised nobody else has had similar problems with getting tub liners fitted.
So does anyone know where I stand option wise getting this problem fixed?
Am I entitled to get a new tub fitted due to it being a brand new vehicle, or do I have no choice but to let the dealer get their scratch and dent guy to do some mild panel work on my new Hilux?
Diceman

Return to General Discussion