2015+ Hilux Navigation system updates.

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

2015+ Hilux Navigation system updates.

Postby johnd@physiol on Sun, 03 Mar 2019 6:12 +0000

I joined a while ago, browsed (great stuff here) & got sidetracked (went bush ;-)

Now I'm back for a bit I thought I'd take the time to ask the experience others have had with in particular the navigation
system in the 2015+ Hilux.

My experience is that I'd been complaining that it kept telling me to turn right where it's been no right turn for >20years.
The version of the software & data preceded the date of the purchase of the Hilux by about a year (some data 2013).

I was continually told it had been updated but the problem persisted, eventually just out of warranty I'm told the Navigation system was never covered under warranty! & that it would be $195 or thereabouts to update.

In frustration I agreed intending to get a refund if it didn't work - needless to say it didn't - luckily I'd started taking photos of
the screens containing the version numbers by this time. In fact the "upgrade" had actually done nothing, all the version numbers of the various components were still the same.
The maintenance people did not believe it but eventually tried the upgrade again (another secret code at some silly cost!).
This time it worked - I had newer versions, but still over a year old & still telling me to turn right at a no right turn that had been that way for >20years & which Apple, TomTom & others all knew about.

So that's where we are now & I'm waiting for them to tell me why this happened & how I get a decent version of the NAV
system that actually works reasonably.

There also seems to be next to no documentation on it, eg. I think a "red road" means congestion, what does purple mean?
etc.
Cheers

John
johnd@physiol

Re: 2015+ Hilux Navigation system updates.

Postby johnd@physiol on Sun, 03 Mar 2019 6:18 +0000

Couple of other things - how can I change my "username" on this system?
Cheers

John
johnd@physiol

Postby ih8ubarney on Mon, 04 Mar 2019 9:23 +0000

i've read somewhere is apparently takes a few years for the map data from garmin? to be converted to suit the toyota headunit (consequently... even updated maps will already be out of date).

i did read on here (somewhere) there was talk of a new deal being done for a better mapping solution - but havent heard anything more so im not getting my hopes up.

purple might be roadworks?

the simple solution (but costly) is bin the toyota headunit and replace it with something like
[url]i've read somewhere is apparently takes a few years for the map data from garmin? to be converted to suit the toyota headunit (consequently... even updated maps will already be out of date).

i did read on here (somewhere) there was talk of a new deal being done for a better mapping solution - but haven't heard anything more so i'm not getting my hopes up.

purple might be roadworks? or toll road maybe?

the simple solution (but costly) is bin the toyota headunit and replace it with something like
https://www.alpine.com.au/shop/perfect-fit-solutions/toyota/8-navigation-x208au-4/
even then its not perfect.... *3 years of free map updates ensure your navigation system is up to date
so at some point you'll still be paying for map updates

also a side note - i happily learnt that somehow the car GPS continues to work in tunnels e.g around Brisbane... where as the phone GPS doesn't.
ih8ubarney

Postby johnd@physiol on Fri, 08 Mar 2019 7:09 +0000

Thanks ih8ubarney! Can you point me at or remember a word/phrase that might work in a search for the better mapping solution - don't really want to get a new headunit ;-)

A few years for map data isn't good, not really a "fit for purpose" system, & I'm having the thing tell me to turn right at a no right turn that's been there for >20 years!

Yes, I thought purple might be a combination of red/blue so congestion on the route, & I once saw it in the M5 tunnel - so that might be right although I thought roadworks were indicated by the roadwork sign (yellow) appearing.

In any case you'd think that the least toyota could do was have a document that actually tells you what the meaning of such things were.

Does anyone from Toyota ever respond on these forums?

Cheers

johnd
Cheers

John
johnd@physiol

Postby johndodson on Sat, 26 Jun 2021 9:46 +0000

An update - that I posted elsewhere in discussion about GPS problems... Still crap!

I had similar problems when the dealer put the "service sticker" over the GPS antenae (near the RV mirror)
once removed & cleaned it was back to normal.

However the map data is CRAP & a recent quote for new data is $195 with no guarantee at all that the data
will be accurate or even up to date (last 2019 update was 2017 data!)

I'm still encouraged to turn right at a No Right turn that's been there for >20 years! (Apple/tomtom/google know about it!)
Despite updating the map data myself at https://mapcreator.here.com on the advice of the dealer!
What a crock the nav system is!

Is there a way of getting an apple/google play app for the thing perhaps?
johndodson

Return to General Discussion