Light Bar

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Light Bar

Postby camobrissy on Sat, 27 Oct 2018 12:32 +0000

Hey All,

I am wanting to put a light bar on my Rhino pioneer tray. I've been told I would get reflection off my bonnet (Pearl White Hilux). Just a question as to where everyone has mounted their light bars (I don't have a bull bar)? If on the roof tray, is it positioned behind the top of the windscreen or in front and how much reflection do you get?

Thanks in advance.

Camo
camobrissy

Re: Light Bar

Postby Critter350 on Tue, 30 Oct 2018 3:40 +0000

Set the light back enough you won’t get too much reflection off your bonnet. Light travels more or less straight, so run a string line or straight edge from the top of the light to the front of the bonnet. If it doesn’t hit the roof first, you will get glare. Move the light back until the string hits the roof first, then give it a little more for clearance.
Or some people paint their bonnet black. Still get glare, just not as bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Critter350

Postby Kris NT on Wed, 07 Nov 2018 12:53 +0000

I put a light bar top of my windscreen using aftermarket brackets , I have a tinted strip bottom of windscreen about 160mm thick from bottom of screen up which helps block out the little glare you do get , it lightens up the dash and so forth but it doesn’t bother me.
The only issue I have is my uhf Ariel is a thick and white about 1200mm long so it lights up like a glow stick ,I’m yet to get a short stumpy style or whip style.
If it has tits or wheels ....it'll cost ya money
Kris NT

Postby Myralga on Wed, 07 Nov 2018 2:54 +0000

Kris I had the same issue on a previous ute.

Simply and quick fix just get a piece of black heat shrink and put that over the aerial.
Doesn’t effect the performance and is a whole lot cheaper then buying another aerial

Myralga

Postby Kris NT on Thu, 08 Nov 2018 7:31 +0000

Myralga wrote:Kris I had the same issue on a previous ute.

Simply and quick fix just get a piece of black heat shrink and put that over the aerial.
Doesn’t effect the performance and is a whole lot cheaper then buying another aerial

Myralga that’s a great idea never thought of that , at the moment I have black electrical tape on it looks dodgy but it helps.
I’ll go get the heat shrink tomorrow Thanks
If it has tits or wheels ....it'll cost ya money
Kris NT

Postby Myralga on Fri, 09 Nov 2018 5:48 +0000

[/quote]
Myralga that’s a great idea never thought of that , at the moment I have black electrical tape on it looks dodgy but it helps.
I’ll go get the heat shrink tomorrow Thanks[/quote]

Happy to help. I did it for two reasons.
It was a old aerial and the outer white coating had started to crack and fall off (too many kangaroos and birds.) heat shrunk it to make it look nice again and cut the light glare off the 4 XGT’s on the roof.

Definitely neater then electrical tape.
And heat shrink has almost a matte finish which is what you want in that situation. Most tapes are semi glossy.

Myralga

Return to General Discussion