LR tank monitoring remaining fuel

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

LR tank monitoring remaining fuel

Postby Markdavo on Sat, 11 Aug 2018 8:15 +0000

I had an ARB 140lt Frontier poly fuel tank fitted yesterday ($1013, ARB Perth) and confirmed, as expected, that the fuel gauge doesn't show actual fuel remaining.

What is your experience monitoring remaining fuel particularly in the first few months after having the LR tank installed? I have a few ideas but would like to hear your's.

Cheers, Mark
Markdavo

Re: LR tank monitoring remaining fuel

Postby CHUTCH on Sat, 11 Aug 2018 11:51 +0000

With mine I just filled the whole tank and then pretty much drove it to empty, got around 1250km. I had 10L left over! I just monitor the km’s now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CHUTCH

Postby Myralga on Sat, 11 Aug 2018 5:13 +0000

CHUTCH wrote:With mine I just filled the whole tank and then pretty much drove it to empty, got around 1250km. I had 10L left over! I just monitor the km’s now

X2 monitor KM
Costs me basically $200 to fill up every time

Myralga

Postby Markdavo on Sat, 11 Aug 2018 5:24 +0000

CHUTCH wrote:With mine I just filled the whole tank and then pretty much drove it to empty, got around 1250km. I had 10L left over! I just monitor the km’s now

What size tank do you have?

Cheers, Mark
Markdavo

Postby CHUTCH on Sat, 11 Aug 2018 5:26 +0000

Markdavo wrote:

What size tank do you have?

Cheers, Mark

140L arb frontier,very happy with it.

CHUTCH

Postby Bushwalker8 on Sat, 11 Aug 2018 7:28 +0000

It's not just the remaining fuel you may want to consider. The tank shapes are naturally different and particularly the extra protrusions on the frontier, so the relative volumes vary disproportionally across fuel heights. The gauge increments F, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 etc are calibrated to the standard tank and vary quite a bit with the frontier and are non-linear on the way down. And so are the other derived parameters displayed such as distance to empty etc.

Over the last 18 months of creative filling, the remaining litres for my gauge increments for the frontier come out consistently thus:

Neck - 146 (totally maxed)
F ----- 103
3/4 ---- 91
1/2 ---- 66
1/4 ---- 40
Light -- 28
E ------- 22

I've kept these stuck on the visor to assist decision making.

I recently picked up a scan gauge 2 and it can be calibrated to any size tank and fuel flow and should calculate distance to empty more accurately independent of the gauge sender but haven't had it long enough to validate this.

Very happy with the frontier though.

John
Bushwalker8

Postby Markdavo on Sat, 11 Aug 2018 7:40 +0000

Bushwalker8 wrote:It's not just the remaining fuel you may want to consider. The tank shapes are naturally different and particularly the extra protrusions on the frontier, so the relative volumes vary disproportionally across fuel heights. The gauge increments F, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 etc are calibrated to the standard tank and vary quite a bit with the frontier and are non-linear on the way down. And so are the other derived parameters displayed such as distance to empty etc.

Over the last 18 months of creative filling, the remaining litres for my gauge increments for the frontier come out consistently thus:

Neck - 146
F ----- 103
3/4 ---- 91
1/2 ---- 66
1/4 ---- 40
Light -- 28
E ------- 22

I recently picked up a scan gauge 2 and it can be calibrated to any size tank and fuel flow and should calculate distance to empty more accurately independent of the gauge sender but haven't had it long enough to validate this.

John

Thanks John, that is very informative and hopefully useful. I'll stick the same on my visor when I fill up tomorrow and monitor.

There may be a number of answers to this but what kms would you typically get from a tank?

Cheers, Mark
Markdavo

Postby Bushwalker8 on Sat, 11 Aug 2018 8:12 +0000

It's an auto and I can get up to 1,400km with just the vehicle & travelling easy. But mostly it's fully laden and towing a Jayco Eagle with plenty of back roads and bush tracks thrown in so typically we are seeing something like around 1,000 -1,200km mixed use. Worst I can recall was something like 850km in mostly steep terrain.

Fuel consumption starts rising considerably over 80 to 90 km/h, but carefully torqueing along bush tracks at low revs remains very frugal.

Cheers,
John
Bushwalker8

Postby Markdavo on Sun, 12 Aug 2018 9:09 +0000

Bushwalker8 wrote:It's an auto and I can get up to 1,400km with just the vehicle & travelling easy. But mostly it's fully laden and towing a Jayco Eagle with plenty of back roads and bush tracks thrown in so typically we are seeing something like around 1,000 -1,200km mixed use. Worst I can recall was something like 850km in mostly steep terrain.

Fuel consumption starts rising considerably over 80 to 90 km/h, but carefully torqueing along bush tracks at low revs remains very frugal.

Cheers,
John

Thanks John,

With the needle on 1/2 tank today I put in 88lts with the fuel coming right up the filling pipe (theoretically 154lts according to your experience) after some country running. Will monitor.

Cheers,
Mark
Markdavo

Postby Bushwalker8 on Tue, 14 Aug 2018 11:11 +0000

Interesting variation, quite likely an 8l offset between our gauge/sender calibrations as the tank and filler neck are more likely to be consistent volumes (or the pump was badly out and you got ripped off!)

Cheers
Bushwalker8

Postby Markdavo on Mon, 20 Aug 2018 8:20 +0000

Bushwalker8 wrote:Interesting variation, quite likely an 8l offset between our gauge/sender calibrations as the tank and filler neck are more likely to be consistent volumes (or the pump was badly out and you got ripped off!)

Cheers
Thanks John, I guess anything is possible. My wife has finally shown an interest in the Hilux and we're off down south for the weekend. Her comments will be interesting particularly the difference in ride vs her Honda HRV.

Cheers
Markdavo

Postby Dirtfix on Thu, 20 Sep 2018 10:49 +0000

Bushwalker8 wrote:It's not just the remaining fuel you may want to consider. The tank shapes are naturally different and particularly the extra protrusions on the frontier, so the relative volumes vary disproportionally across fuel heights. The gauge increments F, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 etc are calibrated to the standard tank and vary quite a bit with the frontier and are non-linear on the way down. And so are the other derived parameters displayed such as distance to empty etc.

Neck - 146 (totally maxed)
F ----- 103
3/4 ---- 91
1/2 ---- 66
1/4 ---- 40
Light -- 28
E ------- 22

John

Great info, mine is being fitted as I type. Very interested to hear your progress with the scan gauge mate.
Dirtfix

Postby Bushwalker8 on Wed, 26 Sep 2018 6:21 +0000

All good. It took a few fills before the calibration settled in, more than the single calibration fill they recomend, but once it is set the distance to empty is very accurate. There is minor one time process explained in the manual to get the distance to empty to show up on the "guage" screen, and you need to fill to the same full point each time but otherwise works great. Also shows 3 other guages of your choice. Overall a great solution, very happy with mine and it compliments the tank well.
Bushwalker8

Postby Markdavo on Thu, 27 Sep 2018 7:15 +0000

Bushwalker8 wrote:All good. It took a few fills before the calibration settled in, more than the single calibration fill they recomend, but once it is set the distance to empty is very accurate. There is minor one time process explained in the manual to get the distance to empty to show up on the "guage" screen, and you need to fill to the same full point each time but otherwise works great. Also shows 3 other guages of your choice. Overall a great solution, very happy with mine and it compliments the tank well.

John, what is the price of the Scan gauge 2? Do you think it is a worthwhile investment vs the method you used previously?
Markdavo

Postby Bushwalker8 on Fri, 28 Sep 2018 11:08 +0000

$235 delivered from fuel economy solutions on ebay.

I'm using both, it's good have a reading of km to empty on a long constant run and also good to know the absolute litres at a glance when you are considering jumping off to the side somewhere or a refuel option arises.

Scangauge2 is great regardless, there's a wide range of fields to choose from and you can display 4 constantly without having to press any buttons. It also gives the ability to scan and clear fault codes, and also program in custom commands. For example it gives me the ability press a button to initiate a manual DPF burn if the need ever arises when I'm off grid and unable access a dealer (same as the DPF button in newer Hilux builds)

Its also simple to unplug and move to another vehicle so not a lost cost.

So for me definitely worth the money
Bushwalker8

Postby Markdavo on Fri, 28 Sep 2018 7:05 +0000

Thanks, how easy/difficult is it to install?

Cheers, Mark
Markdavo

Postby Bushwalker8 on Sat, 29 Sep 2018 6:16 +0000

Physical is simply plugging its cable into the existing obd2 port under the console and attaching self adhesive velcro mounts. Configuring could take minutes to hours if you have to search online for and set up model specific custom fields and commands you want that are not included as standard.
Bushwalker8

Postby Micky1 on Thu, 04 Oct 2018 5:24 +0000

Bushwalker8 wrote:All good. It took a few fills before the calibration settled in, more than the single calibration fill they recomend, but once it is set the distance to empty is very accurate. There is minor one time process explained in the manual to get the distance to empty to show up on the "guage" screen, and you need to fill to the same full point each time but otherwise works great. Also shows 3 other guages of your choice. Overall a great solution, very happy with mine and it compliments the tank well.

Thanks Bushwalker8 thought I done something wrong on the first calibration, was still reading low on fuel usage but after a second calibration it's starting to get close :D
Micky1

Return to General Discussion