Are you happy with your gen8 Hilux ???

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Postby stevebison2000 on Sat, 04 Aug 2018 7:41 +0000

Hi guys,
Just want to see if you guys are happy with your gen 8 purchase.
I currently have a 2007 v6 sr5
I’m wanting to upgrade to either a low low kms gen 7 diesel
Or for roughly the same price get the new gen8 diesel
I’m aware of the issues of the dpf , maf sensor on gen 8, and hopefully they are sorted with the manual dpf burn button.
We do trips into the Bush and I don’t want reliability problems.
if you had your time again would u buy your gen 8 ?
Many thanks
Last edited by stevebison2000 on Mon, 06 Aug 2018 5:47 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
stevebison2000

Re: Are you happen with your gen8 Hilux ???

Postby mully man on Sat, 04 Aug 2018 8:45 +0000

Hi mate- super happy with my gen 8, bought brand new at start of this year & now has 16k on the clock- auto SR5. No problems so far with mine but am aware of the DPF issues some are having. Upgraded from a 2014 SR5 manual & had a 2005 SR manal before that- i reckon the gen 8 is light years ahead in terms of noise/drivability, in the older model you knew you were driving a commercial vehicle the gen 8 feels much more car like in terms of road noise etc. Power feels similar but it does pull my boat with less effort than the older ones i had- take one for a test drive & see what you think.
In terms of DPF issues etc, i remember when i first bought my 2005 SR & was condtantly worried that the injectors were going to crap themselves like i read everywhere online- i traded that car in with 240k on the clock and hadnt touched the injectors, it still ran as good as the day i bought it & the fuel economy never changed over the years i had it. Whatever you do, i think theyre both great cars.
mully man

Postby Tony2 on Sat, 04 Aug 2018 12:18 +0000

Hey Steven. Yeah very happy mate, (2017 SR, 23k) no issues to date.
The car seems to get better as it gets older.
Don't get spooked by the unfortunate minority who post problems. All of the 4x4 utes have problems, Toyota have the least.
Tony2

Postby gjn on Sat, 04 Aug 2018 1:09 +0000

Currently have a 2016 SCC SR 4WD manual - replaced 2006 V6 SCC 2WD. The two are chalk and cheese with regard to ride, interior fit out, equipment levels.

We've done around 25k so far, a mixture of suburban driving and trips interstate and haven't regretted the change for a moment.
gjn

Postby stevebison2000 on Sat, 04 Aug 2018 3:30 +0000

Good to hear you guys are happy, hopefully is it is a small amount that are having the dpf issues.
And hope it has been fixed now.
Thanks for the replys
stevebison2000

Postby gjn on Sat, 04 Aug 2018 4:17 +0000

It needs to be put in perspective, Toyota have been selling over 40,000 Hilux variants every year, it's the top selling vehicle of all types over and over again. It has been the top selling commercial for the last 20 consecutive years. So while some are having problems with DPFs it's obviously not affecting all the 120,000 plus Gen 8 vehicles sold so far.
gjn

Re: Are you happy with your gen8 Hilux ???

Postby Myralga on Mon, 06 Aug 2018 3:56 +0000

I have had a 07 (for 80k), a 13 (for 40k) and now onto a 17 (24k on clock).
All were/are manual, diesel and SR5 owned from new.
The 07 I loved every minute I owned it and kicked myself for selling it (moved overseas) only drama I ever had with it was it did the water pump as I pulled up at toyota for my 40k service (who says they never breakdown in the shed [emoji12]) fixed same day.

The 13 was a lemon [emoji522] and I know I had a bad run with this one. As a manual the trans came out twice rebuilt twice due to a roaring noise while cold and I was off the road 1 month each time (I hated the carolla loan Car more I must admit). I also didn’t like the “upgraded” traction control in the facelift which derated as soon as it thought it was going to loose traction on the dirt. Mud driving I had to turn it off as it was going to get me stuck.

As for now I bought this one with the intention of traveling to Darwin and back which I did earlier this year (from Sydney)
So far I love it. Does everything I want it to.
Short city driving the DPF needs to do its burns. I find if I notice it wanting to burn and I can’t leave it then the following Day I’ll drive to work a gear or two lower then normal forcing a higher RPM. So far no problems.
Only issue I have had So far 1 was service error (sump bung left loose on first service and as a mech I did my S#!T to put it politely) only issue has been when I got back from Darwin both front brake disc shields had cracked. Must admit I have never heard of this happening and they were replaced under warranty.
Two things I’m ignoring at the moment is the keyless entry is crap ever since I installed the dual battery. (Help if anyone has an answer) and the under dash rattle. It’s easier for me to turn the radio up. I know its likely an A/C line from posts on here but I have not been bothered to fix it yet.

Either way you will be happy. It’s a toyota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Postby CB23 on Mon, 06 Aug 2018 5:47 +0000

Myralga wrote:Two things I’m ignoring at the moment is the keyless entry is crap ever since I installed the dual battery. (Help if anyone has an answer) and the under dash rattle. It’s easier for me to turn the radio up. I know its likely an A/C line from posts on here but I have not been bothered to fix it yet.

Love my 2017 SR 4x4, so much better than the 2013 SR 4x4 I drive at work.

P.s. the under dash rattle, mine had this also (heater pipes they told me) and went to dealer twice to replace some grommet then another clip... but didn't fix it. Luckily after the second time at dealer I had to drive in cold snowy weather which was not normal for me (Wollongong local) so I cranked the heater for a few days and when I returned home rattle was gone! So maybe try the heater trick Myralga.
CB23

Postby Myralga on Mon, 06 Aug 2018 7:24 +0000

CB23 wrote:
Myralga wrote:Two things I’m ignoring at the moment is the keyless entry is crap ever since I installed the dual battery. (Help if anyone has an answer) and the under dash rattle. It’s easier for me to turn the radio up. I know its likely an A/C line from posts on here but I have not been bothered to fix it yet.

Love my 2017 SR 4x4, so much better than the 2013 SR 4x4 I drive at work.

P.s. the under dash rattle, mine had this also (heater pipes they told me) and went to dealer twice to replace some grommet then another clip... but didn't fix it. Luckily after the second time at dealer I had to drive in cold snowy weather which was not normal for me (Wollongong local) so I cranked the heater for a few days and when I returned home rattle was gone! So maybe try the heater trick Myralga.

Will have to try it. (I never use the heater. It makes me sleepy.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Myralga on Mon, 06 Aug 2018 8:12 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Myralga

Postby wildthing on Mon, 06 Aug 2018 7:42 +0000

Very happy with mine, purchased new in October 17 and now done around 18,000km without a problem.
Of that more than 10,000km has been for the past few months towing a hybrid camper of around 2.2 tonne across the Gary Junction road to the west coast and then back across the Gulf to Queensland - more than half of it on gravel and rough tracks.
No probems at all apart from knocking out some trailer wiring due to stone damage.
Cheers
wildthing

Postby hayst on Thu, 09 Aug 2018 1:00 +0000

Am generally happy but would gladly drive an axe through the forehead of the arsehole that mandated the constant DRLs.
hayst

Postby grunf on Thu, 09 Aug 2018 6:52 +0000

+1 on that one mate
how hard is it to have off switch!
18 SR auto, Bullbar, winch, Snorkel, Towbar, TowPro, Stedi LED’s, Dobinsons GVM upgrade, Steel tray, Aluminium Canopy, ARB on-board air compressor, Diff breathers, BFG MT KM3 265/70-R17, Uneek4x4 rocksliders, Frontier LR fuel tank etc
grunf

Postby James_k on Mon, 13 Aug 2018 5:35 +0000

For the same price, Definately gen8. They’re chalk and cheese In terms of NVH, ride quality, flex, rear locker, and the new auto/diesel combo is just awesome in every way.
Yes they have their niggles with 6th gear lockup, DPF and MAF/dust, but in the 170,000+ Prado/Hilux/fortuna’s with this motor/box combo, the actual ones with issues are very few and far between in the scheme of things. All new models have niggles, as did gen7 Hilux with injectors for a few years as did 200s with oil consumption, both terminal issues, but either way overall didn’t hurt the reputation of these iconic vehicles as it got sorted.
Easy fixes to the niggles-
AUTO- Drive in S5 unless going over 110kmh. Fuel economy is great and looks after the overdrive gears.
DPF- get Toyota to clean 5th injector/housing every service then do it yourself as per awesome forum write up after warranty/service cap ends.
MAF/DUST- routine maintenance picks this up easily at home, and if you’re super worried then $25 on a Unifter snorkel sock which filters to 4microns.

21,000kms on mine now, and I love it. 8.1-8.5/100 consistently daily driven at 2.55tonne. Trayback with alloy canopy so not as aero as the pickups and/or fibreglass canopy. Loaded to 3t GVM, gets 9/100 on the freeway @100, and 11.5-12/100 combined overall for a Vic highcountry trip with plenty of low range.
Last edited by James_k on Mon, 13 Aug 2018 4:38 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
James_k

Postby stevebison2000 on Mon, 13 Aug 2018 6:00 +0000

Thanks for your reply’s , seems everyone Is happy with there gen 8
My mate receives his sr extracab in two weeks , il be checking it out and hopefully
Placing an order
Some very good deals on Hilux at the moment
stevebison2000

Postby Markdavo on Mon, 13 Aug 2018 5:31 +0000

James_k wrote:For the same price, Definately gen8. They’re chalk and cheese In terms of NVH, ride quality, flex, rear locker, and the new auto/diesel combo is just awesome in every way.
Yes they have their niggles with 6th gear lockup, DPF and MAF/dust, but in the 170,000+ Prado/Hilux/fortuna’s with this motor/box combo, the actual ones with issues are very few and far between in the scheme of things. All new models have niggles, as did gen7 Hilux with injectors for a few years as did 200s with oil consumption, both terminal issues, but either way overall didn’t hurt the reputation of these iconic vehicles as it got sorted.
AUTO- Drive in S5 unless going over 110kmh. Fuel economy is great and looks after the overdrive gears.
DPF- get Toyota to clean 5th injector/housing every service then do it yourself as per awesome forum write up after warranty/service cap ends.
MAF/DUST- routine maintenance picks this up easily at home, and if you’re super worried then $25 on a Unifter snorkel sock which filters to 4microns.

21,000kms on mine now, and I love it. 8.1-8.5/100 consistently daily driven at 2.55tonne. Trayback with alloy canopy so not as aero as the pickups and/or fibreglass canopy. Loaded to 3t GVM, gets 9/100 on the freeway @100, and 11.5-12/100 combined overall for a Vic highcountry trip with plenty of low range.

Great to read your experience and good advice.

What do you mean by 6th gear lockup?

Cheers, Mark
Markdavo

Postby James_k on Mon, 13 Aug 2018 7:34 +0000

Markdavo wrote:
James_k wrote:For the same price, Definately gen8. They’re chalk and cheese In terms of NVH, ride quality, flex, rear locker, and the new auto/diesel combo is just awesome in every way.

Great to read your experience and good advice.

What do you mean by 6th gear lockup?

Cheers, Mark

Here you are Mark- viewtopic.php?f=123&t=27547
Last edited by James_k on Mon, 13 Aug 2018 7:54 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
James_k

Postby James_k on Mon, 13 Aug 2018 7:49 +0000

-
James_k

Postby Ozwaz on Tue, 14 Aug 2018 5:08 +0000

I have one of the first gen 8s, 12/15 and it's been great. No dramas with PDF, but I drive mostly fast dirt and highway. I reckon it is getting better with age, 65k now.
Ozwaz

Postby Merkin on Wed, 15 Aug 2018 3:33 +0000

Overall, I’m happy with my 2016 manual SR5. Couple of annoyances- no way to turn the lights off totally, DAB aerial in drivers view on windscreen ( may have been fixed in later models), headunit is clunky and outdated-Toyota really need to consider AppleCar play or android auto, lots of beeps- key in ignition etc-some can be disabled though. Dpf as has been mentioned..
Merkin

Postby Allords on Fri, 17 Aug 2018 6:03 +0000

I certainly have a greater appreciation.

Just back from Perth to Brisbane via roads. Then Brisbane back to Perth through the guts.
The trip took me out to Birdsville, over big red, along the QAA line. French line, WAA Line, and rig Road.

Only failures were aftermarket parts:
Rhino Rack, Stedi Lightbar and a Canopy lock. When i say we bashed the hell outta them, you can believe it.
Then the normal (to be expected stuff) such as a busted headlight guard ( saved the light), stone chip in windscreen

All sorts of conditions were encountered. Deep sand, mild sand, gravel, rocky shitty roads near Finke and dirt etc.

Upon reading of this airbox issue i took precautions.
TJM snorkel went through 3 pre filters, car used 2x OEM air filters. Whilst a very light dusting was evident in the air box, the top part of both filter and airbox were incredibly clean.

Carrying Maxtracks and recovery equipment was a complete and utter waste of time, but you know the story, the moment you don't have them is when you will need them.

Nitto Terra Grappler tyres were fabulous. measured the tread depth before leaving at 10mm. Upon return they are at 7mm. So i guess 30% usage??. Don't know if thats good or bad, but what a great tyre. No chips/tears/or broken blocks. Quiet on the road and did it all.

Took out the biggest damn rock in some beat up, busted arse track, with the ARB 140lt frontier poly tank, and it only left a scratch.

Hit a bulldust hole just before Dalhousie springs , and thought " what have i just ripped out from the bottom of the car
OEM Bash plate has been sand blasted back to its original and unpainted state.
Washed the car with CT18, gave the driveline a grease, cleaned the glass......and the thing looks like new again.
Minus some pitting from stones in the windscreen, and one chip in the passengers door.
On leaving Perth dash read an average of 10.4l/100kms, upon return to Perth was reading 11.2l/100kms
Allords

Next

Return to General Discussion