Arb Summit bar vibration issues?

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Arb Summit bar vibration issues?

Postby Ian074 on Sun, 06 May 2018 5:34 +0000

Hi, we just purchased a new Sr5 and want to fit a front bar, we were about to get a arb Summit bar. But in our research we come up with alot of bad reviews of bad vibrations on arb bars fitted to the new hilux. Can anyone please confirm or give feedback on there experience. Thanks Ian
Ian074

Re: Arb Summit bar vibration issues?

Postby creaky on Sun, 06 May 2018 7:02 +0000

As in visible movement relative to the bodywork ?
Normal and getting more obvious / significant as body mounts are softened on vehicles to improve NVH outcomes. It is actually the body of the vehicle moving, not so much the bar, and only becomes a problem if the bar runs on the bodywork.

The bar is effectively rigidly attaches to the chassis so not much flex there unless there is a significant problem.

I don’t have an ARB bar on my Hilux but I did on my last car (FJ) and ARB has issues with the bars rubbing on the fenders as a result of body movement. They did produce a fix kit which I believe resolved the problem and they replaced any damaged fenders or came to another settlement with the owners I believe.
creaky

Postby Myralga on Sun, 06 May 2018 11:08 +0000

This was/is a very common complaint on the Prado primarily.
The body moves independently of the chassis and the Prado chassis is relatively “soft”.
Therefore from the drivers seat it looks like the bar is shaking very wildly. In actual fact the whole Car chassis is moving underneath the Car body.

This is why the Prado has some of the largest bullbar to body gaps on the market.

The Hilux does have fairly large gaps for the exact same reason chassis twist and body movement. If you look at the Hilux chassis it is a bloody long way back into the nose of the ute. Most bars are hanging about a foot off the end of the chassis to get out from the body work. Regardless of brand arb TJM ecb etc. so this makes any small movement of the body to chassis look a lot worse by the time your out to the tip of the bull bar.

And remember correct installation is critical on all bull bars regardless of manufacture. Leave something out. Miss a pinning bolt or 4. And the whole thing will move like crazy.

Funniest customer complaint I have seen in recent years along this line was on a smart bar. the client was complaining that the bar was touching the panels.
The smart bar is plastic and has a lot of flex in it. Surprise surprise the winch hook had been pulled out and connected to the chassis hook and tightened. This had flexed the bar over so it touched the panels. As soon as we released the winch hook it popped back into its original position.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Postby bardenboy on Mon, 07 May 2018 8:29 +0000

I have the ARB Sahara Summit Bar on my 2016 Hilux and no issues at all, done a 13000km trip up ot the Kimberley , GRR , Mitchell Falls , Gary Hwy no issues

ARB make a great product and I will also buy there gear

Happy Shopping
Dennis
2016 SR5 with some bits addded
bardenboy

Postby hiluxxury on Tue, 08 May 2018 6:30 +0000

Myralga wrote:This was/is a very common complaint on the Prado primarily.
The body moves independently of the chassis and the Prado chassis is relatively “soft”.
Therefore from the drivers seat it looks like the bar is shaking very wildly. In actual fact the whole Car chassis is moving underneath the Car body.

Yes this ^^^ Any 4wd that I've seen that's done any number of corrugations or country roads had evidence of barwork rubbing on panels.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby Ian074 on Tue, 08 May 2018 9:27 +0000

Thanks everyone for your reply’s, make me more comfortable to keep looking at the arb bar for my build. :D
Ian074

Postby ashears on Wed, 20 May 2020 5:23 +0000

Hi just fitted ARB Summit bar side rails and side steps, vibration through cab and steering wheel from 1800 to 2600 rpm. I’ve taken to ARB and told Toyota problem. Issue ongoing
ashears

Return to General Discussion