Snorkel brands. Help!

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Re: Snorkel brands. Help!

Postby HK1837 on Tue, 20 Mar 2018 6:06 +0000

That's not quite true. A properly calibrated chassis dyno gives you real world power and torque figures, and whilst power and torque does not equate to 1/4 mile times, there is a direct correlation between power and trap speed, and also power and 0-100mph times (for the same car of course). But I get your point. You'd imagine similar road speeds apparent air pressure applies under the bonnet and guards too as air is forced in by the same vehicle speed but through the radiator opening and under the headlamps.
I do understand the real reason for snorkels, ie dust and water crossings and cold air. However I'd almost bet that if you put the under-bonnet stuff in and sucked the air from under the guard rather than attaching the snorkel (like TRD do for their airboxes for Tacoma and FJ Cruiser) that you'd get better power, torque and economy than you do with the snorkel added on top of it. I do know that the best dyno results for a V6 come with a TRD air box. Adding a snorkel adds a restriction and rear wheel power losses.
The other similar thing I can remember the LX A9X's cold air bonnet scoop works far better than a forward facing scoop for two reasons: high pressure air in front of the screen and lack of a big "sail" (for want of a better word) sticking up in the high velocity air flow over the bonnet. A lot of the old racers in the USA used to put a big duct from Camaro etc air cleaners to the cowl in front of the screen for the same reason. Not much use for water crossings though!
HK1837

Postby Allords on Tue, 20 Mar 2018 3:05 +0000

Myralga wrote:Agreed but I’d like to see real road tests. Dynos are a great starting point. But it’s like any muscle Car, dyno results never replicate to real world results.
I installed my ARMAX yes there are bends but they do everything possible to streamline the air path. Where some have multiple almost 90 degree bends. Safari thought about it and made it as close a possible to straight.
Couple pics below of my ARMAX going on last year.

Great Job!
Best colour too :D
Allords

Postby William_Foster on Tue, 20 Mar 2018 8:12 +0000

HK1837 wrote:Not much use for water crossings though!

:lol:
2013 Toyota Hilux SR5
4x4 Manual Diesel
William_Foster

Postby Myralga on Wed, 21 Mar 2018 5:17 +0000

At the end of the day. Safari state anything up to 4% increase in power from snorkel install alone.
To be honest. You don’t notice any improvement. And if I noticed a reduction I would have complained like buggery.
In the end I didn’t but it for power. I bought it for cleaner and cooler air intake and water crossing capabilities.
And at the end of the day that’s the number one reason for a snorkel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Postby HK1837 on Wed, 21 Mar 2018 11:04 +0000

Agree. I don't believe their 4% though, that will probably come from the mods under the bonnet.
HK1837

Postby Myralga on Thu, 22 Mar 2018 11:18 +0000

One day I might get a chip and KnN filter in this one. But I won’t make that investment till someone works out the whole DPF exhaust restriction issue.
I know a lot of people delete them but sure it’s technically illegal. Don’t wanna go down that route just yet.

Myralga

Postby iller on Fri, 23 Mar 2018 7:39 +0000

Myralga wrote:One day I might get a chip and KnN filter in this one. But I won’t make that investment till someone works out the whole DPF exhaust restriction issue.
I know a lot of people delete them but sure it’s technically illegal. Don’t wanna go down that route just yet.

It's apparently not that much of a problem, Ronny Dahl discusses it with his mechanics on one of his latest videos.
iller

Postby HK1837 on Sat, 24 Mar 2018 5:57 +0000

Myralga wrote:One day I might get a chip and KnN filter in this one. But I won’t make that investment till someone works out the whole DPF exhaust restriction issue.

People put oversized tyres on too which creates a braking safety issue and don't worry about it! I know what you mean though, certain Govt departments don't like mods that increase emissions.
HK1837

Postby Myusername on Sat, 24 Mar 2018 8:31 +0000

HK1837 wrote:
Joegas wrote:Unichip say you lose 10% of power with a snorkel (proven by dyno), they say the arb snorkel has the least restriction/loss

Chiptorque told me the same thing, they dynoed a V6 Hilux standard and then with a snorkel. It lost significant kW and torque (at the rear wheels of course). It was around 7kW from memory, which would be 10kW at the engine. I guess it makes total sense - try breathing through a straw! Might have less effect on a blown engine than a NA too. Not sure what use a snorkel is on a petrol engine either.

Do you actually get any significant Ram effect in front of such a small intake as a snorkel? I thought apart from the negative of the engine bay heat the area under the bonnet would be at similar air pressure? The best place that I am aware of to get col air Ram effect is in front of the windscreen, this is why LX A9X had a rear facing scoop and cars like VL GroupA SS sucked air from the cowl area where the wipers sit.
A couple of thoughts on the subject.
1. The dynamic air pressure at 100 km/hr is around 1psi. There would be frictional losses from the internal surface of the snorkel and the bends in the airflow. Aerodynamic drag increases at the square of the speed increase- 2x speed = 4x drag. Most snorkels cross sectional area increases in size as you get away from the head, which reduces air velocity thereby greatly reducing drag and minimising losses. So you should get a neutral to slightly positive affect on the air pressure reaching the airbox at highway speeds. High revs at low forward speed will definitely lead to a slightly negative affect on the air pressure reaching the airbox.

2. On a modern (computerised) turbocharged engine like our diesels, the turbo is controlled by the ecu which gets info from various sensors such as MAF / MAP. This is should overcome any potential snorkel inefficiencies by simply winding up the turbo some more.
Naturally aspirated engines on the other hand will suffer from any induction inefficiencies.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Myusername

Postby Toeknee2 on Sun, 25 Mar 2018 12:24 +0000

Does anyone know if the Toyota warranty covers an aftermarket snorkel?
Toeknee2

Postby Myralga on Sun, 25 Mar 2018 9:33 +0000

My understanding of warranties is that the warranty is only void for the part in question.this does get a little vague though. As the snorkelis your engine air intake so they could say it’s your engine.
But let’s be serious. As long as common sense prevails the only part a snorkel should void is issues with the guard itself (rust paint etc) airbox if modified. And Vibration noises from that side.
But in saying that as Long is the snorkel is supplied and installed by a reputable dealer then you are covered by their warranty rather then Toyota’s.
This goes for any part bullbar suspension electrical etc.

Myralga

Postby Silverfox1111 on Mon, 26 Mar 2018 5:02 +0000

As long as the factory air filter is in place, surely the snorkel couldn't be considered as a factor in an engine warranty claim.
Silverfox
Silverfox1111

Postby HK1837 on Mon, 26 Mar 2018 7:23 +0000

It is the first thing a dealer will try though!
HK1837

Postby Myralga on Wed, 28 Mar 2018 1:27 +0000

And then you ask for them to supply written proof of how it has caused the fault so you can make the claim against the snorkel manufacturer. If they cannot provide that then it’s up to them to fix it under their warranty.
The law is on the Aftermarket manufactures side when it comes to warranty

Myralga

Postby Toeknee2 on Mon, 30 Apr 2018 3:47 +0000

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a snorkel.
Does anyone know if there is any real performance difference between the Safari V-tech ($416) and the safari Armax ($550)?
This is what I'm looking at ($430 delivered) https://www.sparesbox.com.au/part/safar ... es-ss124hf
Toeknee2

Postby Stiff1 on Mon, 29 Apr 2019 10:26 +0000

Has anybody on here combined the Armax snorkel with the Armax ECU upgrade?
Keen to hear if its worth the $$$, if so, now is the time for me to get it done. Some pretty impressive power gains and (apparently) 1 - 1.5L/100km fuel saving in the meantime? Planning to do around 140,000kms over 4 years, so if the power/savings are legit, def seems worth it. Anybody done this yet?
Stiff1

Postby Stiff1 on Mon, 29 Apr 2019 12:11 +0000

Never mind.... Toyota informs me, the ECU upgrade voids the warranty.. :roll:
Stiff1

Postby Myralga on Mon, 29 Apr 2019 4:27 +0000

Stiff1 wrote:Never mind.... Toyota informs me, the ECU upgrade voids the warranty.. :roll:

If you have a new car then you will be swapping warranties. safari warrant the drivetrain up to 100,000 (so if you already have say 30,000 they will provide 70,000 km warranty). I can’t remember how long in years though.
They stand by their product 100% and if you get it in writing I have been told they will fight it. So honestly if you want to pull the trigger I would only go with safari they have protection built in and warrant their product. I would not go down any other line.

And not only that let’s say there is a issue that toyota are blaming the unit on you can pull it out of circuit in a matter of seconds with a bypass connector. That’s something I really like.

Myralga

Postby rjo89 on Mon, 29 Apr 2019 4:50 +0000

Just a thought for those who are thinking about installing an ARMAX snorkel.

If you want to install scrub bars over the front guards then the ARMAX snorkel might impact on the snorkel. I only have the standard Safari snorkel and my Ironman scrub bars come very close to the body of the snorkel (about an inch clearance). I haven't seen ARB scrub bars and their clearance on either the stock or the ARMAX snorkel, but just something to consider. I doubt the ARMAX would fit with my the Ironman scrub bars.
rjo89

Postby TOYZX on Mon, 29 Apr 2019 5:15 +0000

X2 on what Myralga said. I haven't installed a hilux one yet but have done a couple of rangers and they show decent results.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
TOYZX

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion