DPF info

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Re: DPF info

Postby creaky on Wed, 14 Mar 2018 2:58 +0000

Saw the Sci Fleet Toyota hilux driving up the road today .... plume of white smoke all the way !
creaky

Postby Allords on Wed, 14 Mar 2018 3:19 +0000

Not to detract from the OP's question.
But i think theres more to it with the DPF issue.

What we see is a result, the end cause of a problem.
Manufacturers understand materials to use, they know what 304 stainless steel is, and how it works. They've been using it in exhaust systems now for ages.
Burn a car to the ground, and generally the only thing left will be the exhaust system and some steel threads that use to be in the tyres.

I think its more complex, theres a lot of plumbing going into these things, and they tend to be driven by sensors etc.
So what if you have a faulty sensor, that says everything is ok, when in fact its burning its head off.
Or, the opposite........Don't need a burn, its ok.
A tiny leak downstream of the MAF sensor, which results in over fuelling the car.

Im not a mechanic, so i don't know........All i know is that at the present, the quick fix ( and it maybe for commercial reasons) seems to be pull it and replace only to have the same thing happen again within 20,000Kms.

Sure, there can be manufacturing defects in the unit. But they would be limited to 1 in every 100.
We've all read about the guy who's gone through 3 DPF's inside of 50,000kms.......either he's just unlucky, or there's something else
Allords

Postby tropicrows on Wed, 14 Mar 2018 4:23 +0000

Allords wrote:Not to detract from the OP's question.
But i think theres more to it with the DPF issue.

What we see is a result, the end cause of a problem.
Manufacturers understand materials to use, they know what 304 stainless steel is, and how it works. They've been using it in exhaust systems now for ages.
Burn a car to the ground, and generally the only thing left will be the exhaust system and some steel threads that use to be in the tyres.

I think its more complex, theres a lot of plumbing going into these things, and they tend to be driven by sensors etc.
So what if you have a faulty sensor, that says everything is ok, when in fact its burning its head off.
Or, the opposite........Don't need a burn, its ok.
A tiny leak downstream of the MAF sensor, which results in over fuelling the car.

Im not a mechanic, so i don't know........All i know is that at the present, the quick fix ( and it maybe for commercial reasons) seems to be pull it and replace only to have the same thing happen again within 20,000Kms.

Sure, there can be manufacturing defects in the unit. But they would be limited to 1 in every 100.
We've all read about the guy who's gone through 3 DPF's inside of 50,000kms.......either he's just unlucky, or there's something else
2017 Toyota Hilux.
My DPF was replaced at approximately 50k but i first noticed the problem at around 30k. It took me that long to convince toyota there was a problem. When the DPF was replaced the burn schedule was changed from 80% clogged to 20%. I have now done over 80k and not had a problem.
Interesting side note, the Toyota hilux in W.A. are having the most issues with there DPF, that's according to the service manager I was taking to in QLD.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
tropicrows

Postby Allords on Wed, 14 Mar 2018 10:47 +0000

Hi tropic.

I dont dispute what you are saying. After all, its what you've been told by Toyo.
But heres my problem........The car comes off the production line not knowing where in AU its going to go.
Yes, i think the oil that they use is just plain crazy for our climate. Its as if we are using something that is suitable for the antarctic.

Only the guys that are mechanics, and have shops can deliberate on that further.
But like you, my car is under Toyota warranty, ill allow them to service it how they wish, knowing that I'm covered.
Allords

Postby squireocallaghan on Mon, 19 Mar 2018 5:51 +0000

Well I picked the car up from Toyota, they say they cleaned out the effected parts.
1 tank of fuel later and the smoke has returned!!!!!!
squireocallaghan

Postby rob09 on Wed, 21 Mar 2018 8:47 +0000

rob09 wrote:Year:2017

Kms:32,000

Auto/Manual:Auto

Serviced at Toyota/other:At dealer, every 10,000km

Oil used (if known):Dealer supplied

DPF issues Y/N:Y, now I know what it is.

Km DPF issues occurred: Started about 25,000

Have been meaning to call dealer, then got so bad on he weekend that I called and demanded it get fixed.

Was told it was a two week wait to get looked at, but they changed their tune pretty quick and went in Tuesday.

DPF is being replaced and was told cat also.

Have just been advised it's ready for pick up, will see what paperwork says.

I asked the service manager on the phone yesterday, how they were going to avoid it happening again, got a mumble and that was it.
rob09

Postby heavymental on Wed, 21 Mar 2018 9:45 +0000

i'm also getting a whole new dpf system next week after 38,000km. Told them that cops threatened to slap me with a yellow sticker given how much white smoke i was emitting at the traffic lights.

at the same time they'll be replacing the canopy window brackets which have started rusting...

the next battle will be the high pitched noise coming from the dashboard when the fan or air con is on. it's driving me nuts.
heavymental

Postby Fisherbear on Wed, 21 Mar 2018 5:02 +0000

Year 2016
Klms 52000
Auto
Oil :Not noticed
DFF issues - no issues until late Dec when just started blowing
Smoke but quickly stopped. Called Dealer who said they could
Not look at it before Xmas but I pushed them yo accept responsibility
On any issue - they saw it 2 days later and gave i a forced clean

All fixed but started 4 weeks ago the day before a service was booked
Stopped blowing smoke but new filter ordered under warranty
Now waiting for me to book in

Serviced Toyota as service book
Fisherbear

Postby dontoo on Thu, 22 Mar 2018 5:16 +0000

Husa-Lux wrote:As everyone’s well aware that many Hilux’s are having issues with their DPF’s, I thought it would be interesting to collect some information to see how many are affected and if there is a trend in any problems occurring.

If people could respond with the following.

Year:

Kms:

Auto/Manual:

Serviced at Toyota/other:

Oil used (if known):

DPF issues Y/N:

Km DPF issues occurred:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Year: 2016

Kms: 55,000

Auto/Manual:Auto

Serviced at Toyota/other: Toyota

Oil used (if known): Toyota supplied

DPF issues Y/N: Y

Km DPF issues occurred: 7,000k

Note: On my 3rd DPF. Has been looked at multiple times by dealer.

Most of my driving is highway i.e at least 3 times a week. Dealer has been great. Toyota not so good. Doubt I'll be getting another Hilux.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk
dontoo

Postby wildthing on Thu, 22 Mar 2018 8:00 +0000

I've had no problems with my dpf on a Hilux purchased in October last year and now around 6,000km on the clock.
But for those of you who have reported problems, what are the typical symptoms?
Is it excessive smoke, noticeable deterioration in engine performance, increased fuel consumption, etc?
I note the recall for Rangers and BT50s because of the fire risk, which seems to be less of an issue with the positioning of the Hilux dpf.
But is there also a Hilux recall for some re-programming of the unit?
Cheers
wildthing

Postby Micky1 on Thu, 22 Mar 2018 10:48 +0000

heavymental wrote:i'm also getting a whole new dpf system next week after 38,000km. Told them that cops threatened to slap me with a yellow sticker given how much white smoke i was emitting at the traffic lights.

at the same time they'll be replacing the canopy window brackets which have started rusting...

the next battle will be the high pitched noise coming from the dashboard when the fan or air con is on. it's driving me nuts.

Please let me know how you go with the air-con noise it drives me nuts as well :evil:
Micky1

Postby ktm300 on Fri, 23 Mar 2018 3:55 +0000

Micky1 wrote:
heavymental wrote:i'm also getting a whole new dpf system next week after 38,000km. Told them that cops threatened to slap me with a yellow sticker given how much white smoke i was emitting at the traffic lights.

Please let me know how you go with the air-con noise it drives me nuts as well :evil:

Soon you will have toyota in town so you can hopefully go direct to them for any isuues you have ..
ktm300

Postby rob09 on Fri, 23 Mar 2018 4:33 +0000

wildthing wrote:I've had no problems with my dpf on a Hilux purchased in October last year and now around 6,000km on the clock.
But for those of you who have reported problems, what are the typical symptoms?
Is it excessive smoke, noticeable deterioration in engine performance, increased fuel consumption, etc?
I note the recall for Rangers and BT50s because of the fire risk, which seems to be less of an issue with the positioning of the Hilux dpf.
But is there also a Hilux recall for some re-programming of the unit?
Cheers

In my case, from about 25,000km I started seeing the occasional smoke cloud. I think I blew it off as coming from another car at the start. Then it was every now and the, a decent plume of white smoke, at the same spot from home on regular occasions. This finally ended up being about 10 mins into every drive, bucket loads of white smoke billowing out the back as well as a very loud clicking from underneath when I stopped. Think of the noise a car makes when it's cooling down after being driven hard, but a lot louder.

Was easy to miss when it started (for me), but quickly got to the point that it was undrivable due to smoke.

I didn't notice a loss in power (on an increase after replacement) or fuel increase.
rob09

Postby barryswanson on Sun, 25 Mar 2018 10:00 +0000

No doubt just a coincidence but I didn’t have a problem with my DPF until the day I filled up at a BP instead of a caltex
barryswanson

Postby Allords on Mon, 26 Mar 2018 1:54 +0000

barryswanson wrote:No doubt just a coincidence but I didn’t have a problem with my DPF until the day I filled up at a BP instead of a caltex

Probably just a coincidence.
Ive only used BP ultimate ( for the velocity points). No problems yet, but i haven't reached "the magical" 35000km mark.
So stay tuned
Allords

Postby blackpak on Tue, 27 Mar 2018 5:24 +0000

Year: 2017

Kms: 51000

Auto/Manual: Manual

Serviced at Toyota/other: Toyota

Oil used (if known): ?

DPF issues Y/N: N
blackpak

Postby green allycan on Wed, 28 Mar 2018 11:13 +0000

Driving around Melb, I have seen upto 3 in one day with while plumes of smoke coming out the exhaust and dare say many hilux owners don't even know the have an issue with there dpf.

Year: 2016

Kms: 40,000

Auto/Manual: auto

Serviced at Toyota/other: Toyota only

Oil used (if known): standard Toyota (0/30 low ash, I think?)

DPF issues Y/N: Y

Km DPF issues occurred: New DPF installed at 34K.

Note: First noticed longer burn times after update after 20K service, just before 30K service noticed burn to take 2hrs plus and starting to give off white smoke (I noticed tis to happen more on hot days), reported at 30K service and new DPF took 6wks to arrive.
Since have got OBD2 reader and torque pro app and I am monitoring dpf burn temps,
*noticed higher burn temps when using light throttle applications at highway speed.
*Temp drops about 100deg if you put your foot to the floor during burn. (I assume due to extra soot collecting in dpf dampens the heat or burn)
*Temp drops quickly if you apply brake.
*highest temp I have seen is 730 deg C, only gets this high when burn is 90-95% complete
green allycan

Postby crustie on Fri, 13 Apr 2018 4:27 +0000

A little bit of topic
I wonder if the 2.4 Diesel used on the 2wd models and also in the Uk and Europe are having DPF issues
Does anyone know?

Regards Chris
crustie

Postby iller on Sun, 15 Apr 2018 1:57 +0000

crustie wrote:A little bit of topic
I wonder if the 2.4 Diesel used on the 2wd models and also in the Uk and Europe are having DPF issues
Does anyone know?

Regards Chris

Nobody heard of it here in sweden to my knowledge.
iller

Postby HK1837 on Sun, 15 Apr 2018 2:31 +0000

This seems crazy that you would have to change a DPF at 35,000km! I know most of you are still covered by warranty but what happens when your warranty runs out? Surely no-one in their right mind would buy a used one of these out of warranty? Unless DPF’s become as cheap as air filters! I have no idea what i’ll do to replace my 2011 SR5 once it becomes unreliable, there is no way i’d be buying anything with a DPF. I know my brother in law’s 2011-ish auto D40 snotted it’s DPF and it was many $1000’s and a long wait.
HK1837

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion