DPF info

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Re: DPF info

Postby crustie on Sun, 15 Apr 2018 3:07 +0000

HK1837 wrote:This seems crazy that you would have to change a DPF at 35,000km! I know most of you are still covered by warranty but what happens when your warranty runs out? Surely no-one in their right mind would buy a used one of these out of warranty? Unless DPF’s become as cheap as air filters! I have no idea what i’ll do to replace my 2011 SR5 once it becomes unreliable, there is no way i’d be buying anything with a DPF. I know my brother in law’s 2011-ish auto D40 snotted it’s DPF and it was many $1000’s and a long wait.

We have a 2016 and had the DPF filter changes in November 2017. She has started to blow white grey smoke again in mid March, Toyota service want it back for a couple days to inspect and possibly replace again
Im sure they will eventually fix the issues but in the meantime its bloody nuisance.
Chris
crustie

Postby Allords on Sun, 15 Apr 2018 8:09 +0000

HK1837 wrote:This seems crazy that you would have to change a DPF at 35,000km! I know most of you are still covered by warranty but what happens when your warranty runs out? Surely no-one in their right mind would buy a used one of these out of warranty? Unless DPF’s become as cheap as air filters!

Yep. I'm picking up what you're putting down :D

But there is a little thing in consumer law that states reasonable life expectation. or something to that effect.
So its not unreasonable to expect an exhaust system to have 10 yrs + of life.
I don't think its the actual unit that fails, its the damn sensors attached to it and that 5th injector.
Allords

Postby tropicrows on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 7:48 +0000

I'm on my second DPF the car has done 83000 km approx the first one was replaced at approx 50000 km. At the last service I told them its starting to play up again. They did a manual burn and said it was 90% full. The service tech said an update to the CPU is coming and will solve all these issues.
They updated the CPU when they changed the DPF the first time and said then it would solve these issues..... apparently it has not.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
tropicrows

Postby heavymental on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 2:53 +0000

I'm going in for a dpf system change early next month. I'm wondering what the warranty is on the second system if my car is out of warranty at the end of the year...
heavymental

Postby darren278 on Sun, 22 Apr 2018 11:07 +0000

I’ve noticed quite a few people coming to there own conclusions as to why the dpf is having issues and stating them as if they’re bang on the money.

Fact is, no one knows why.
I’m on my 3rd dpf at 68000km. I travel approx 750km per week at least 400kms of that on freeway at 100kmh
I’m also towing a trailer Monday to Friday that weighs anywhere from 750kg empty to 2000kg loaded.

So you clearly don’t have to be just city driving or not letting the engine get up to temp, to be having dpf issues.

To be honest I’m pissed off with it and am considering a Pre dpf lc76. I wish I’d bought the 4.0 v6 lux
darren278

Postby rudyy on Sun, 22 Apr 2018 1:35 +0000

Not coming to any conclusions and definitely not saying it's bang on the money but our friend from Sweden stated earlier that he'd never heard of DPF issues over there and my service manager told me there had not been one DPF issue in Japan. His reasoning.....Australia has one of the worst quality diesels in the world and fuel is to blame for DPF issues here.
If other people could verify that other countries were NOT having DPF issues as well then you'd have to think twice that the fuel is a big factor in the problem.
You'd also have to ask if that's the case then why aren't other diesel vehicle manufacturers having DPF issues in Australia?
Haven't had any DPF issues and I'm not stressing over it happening because like people have said repeatedly........they'll fix it eventually!
rudyy

Postby darren278 on Sun, 22 Apr 2018 5:53 +0000

They may fix it eventually, but at who’s cost? Will Toyota continue to replace dpfs when we’re out of warranty?
The guy on the desk at my local dealership says they will, but talk is cheap and I reckon Toyota will do maybe one out of warranty and then start splitting the cost etc.. which would probably mean, they break even and we pick up the rest of the cost.

I find it hard to believe we have inferior fuel compared to the rest of the world. Maybe there are a lot of dirty servos out in the bush but I’m sure when the fuel is delivered it’s as good as anywhere else in the world. I’ve only ever put BP fuel in mine and pretty much from the same garage that’s only been open for 2 years so I would imagine their storage tanks are pretty good.
darren278

Postby darren278 on Sun, 22 Apr 2018 5:58 +0000

Ok, so I just searched Toyota uk dpf problems on google. First result is a guy called honest John who runs a driving school. He’s getting dog problems in the uk, so don’t believe the hype when they tell you it’s because of our fuel.
darren278

Postby darren278 on Sun, 22 Apr 2018 5:59 +0000

Hahaha, dog problems. He might be, but he should be more worried about his dpf. Damn predictive text.
darren278

Postby iller on Mon, 23 Apr 2018 4:03 +0000

darren278 wrote:They may fix it eventually, but at who’s cost? Will Toyota continue to replace dpfs when we’re out of warranty?
The guy on the desk at my local dealership says they will, but talk is cheap and I reckon Toyota will do maybe one out of warranty and then start splitting the cost etc.. which would probably mean, they break even and we pick up the rest of the cost.

I find it hard to believe we have inferior fuel compared to the rest of the world. Maybe there are a lot of dirty servos out in the bush but I’m sure when the fuel is delivered it’s as good as anywhere else in the world. I’ve only ever put BP fuel in mine and pretty much from the same garage that’s only been open for 2 years so I would imagine their storage tanks are pretty good.

Totally true that here in sweden we haven't heard a thing about dpf issues, and they sell a lot of hiluxe's here in sweden also, sure not as many as in Australia but the mines use hiluxes. However we do not have the 2.8 but the 2.4 so that could be the difference.

I also heard that one of the issues is that the extra injector that is used to heat up the dpf when it's doing a burn get's clogged up so it doesn't clean properly when doing a burn.
iller

Postby Statler1958 on Tue, 01 May 2018 6:28 +0000

Hi

I am new here and have been searching for information regarding the DPF’s

I have an early N80 SR5 Dual Cab Auto Hilux with about 125K on the clock and it looks like I am heading for the 5th replacement DPF as the truck is blowing excessive smoke again. I am not trying to set records but 5 should be gold medal territory.

On Monday a work colleague followed me for about 10 minutes and the Hilux was smoking the whole time. The nature of the smoke has changed since the 1st DPF and with the 1st the smoke was white and now it is a lighter blueish white smoke.

For about the last 1000ks the fuel economy increased to about 11l/100k -normally low to mid 8’s and after a couple of days of rougher running, high idle, higher diesel chatter and smoke it clears and back to OK. Eg on current tank the economy was an indicated 11.5l/100k for about 300k’s – in the last 200k’s the average economy of the whole tank has dropped back to 10.4l/100k. Go figure

It has all the ECU updates etc. My driving is about 15 minutes of freeway at 110 k/h and with about 10 minutes of 80 k/h each way to and from work. No stop start traffic or heavy traffic work.

I was speaking to the service manager today and he said another service bulletin came in yesterday for the DPF’s and I am waiting to see what the outcome is. I am not sure what a PDF costs but no profit in this Hilux for Toyota.

Cheers
Statler
Statler1958

Postby Allords on Wed, 02 May 2018 1:24 +0000

I think darren278 has nailed it

No one, not even Toyo knows why.

There are vehicles on mine sites that don't get over 40kms per hour and blow, and some don't.
Vehicles that do high mileage long distance at speed, Again some do, some don't.

Its not the DPF unit, its that f$@#&% 5th injector, or sensors.

Maybe fuel, maybe blow by. But if that fifth injector is blocked, or fouled with gunk, cant fire, or wont fire. The DPF wont work.

Rumor has it that its the angle or placement of the fifth injector that is causing the problem. But how knows.
Allords

Postby Husa-Lux on Wed, 02 May 2018 4:51 +0000

I cleaned the 5th injector / housing on the weekend. This is what it looked like after 25,000 kms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Husa-Lux

Postby iller on Wed, 02 May 2018 4:08 +0000

Husa-Lux wrote:I cleaned the 5th injector / housing on the weekend. This is what it looked like after 25,000 kms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdZACWO ... e=youtu.be

How to clean it :D
iller

Postby dervdave on Wed, 02 May 2018 6:38 +0000

rudyy wrote:Not coming to any conclusions and definitely not saying it's bang on the money but our friend from Sweden stated earlier that he'd never heard of DPF issues over there and my service manager told me there had not been one DPF issue in Japan. His reasoning.....Australia has one of the worst quality diesels in the world and fuel is to blame for DPF issues here.
If other people could verify that other countries were NOT having DPF issues as well then you'd have to think twice that the fuel is a big factor in the problem.
You'd also have to ask if that's the case then why aren't other diesel vehicle manufacturers having DPF issues in Australia?

We have had DPF equipped Hiluxes since 2012 which have been relatively trouble free and the problems in the UK usually come down to incorrect use ie short journeys.
Shite dirty diesel will really affect the DPFs clogging up, I use very clean burning Shell V-Power and never had a problem with any vehicle I`ve had other than a Jaguar 2.7d which had a duff pressure sensor.
2013 3.0d Invincible
dervdave

Postby Toeknee2 on Sat, 05 May 2018 3:29 +0000

Allords wrote:Hi tropic.

I dont dispute what you are saying. After all, its what you've been told by Toyo.
But heres my problem........The car comes off the production line not knowing where in AU its going to go.
Yes, i think the oil that they use is just plain crazy for our climate. Its as if we are using something that is suitable for the antarctic.

Only the guys that are mechanics, and have shops can deliberate on that further.
But like you, my car is under Toyota warranty, ill allow them to service it how they wish, knowing that I'm covered.

Just for the record Allords I live in Vic and take my hilux on snowboarding trips. The ute starts in the mornings and runs smoothly when the outside temp is deep into the minuses. It wouldn't do that if the oil and coolant weren't up to the task. I for one am very glad they go overboard.
Toeknee2

Postby Silverfox1111 on Sat, 05 May 2018 6:26 +0000

So like toeknee, i go into the snow in winter where the standard oil is probably a good choice, but i also do camping trips in summer towing the camper where i think a 5w-40 oil is more appropriate.
If your doing 2 oil changes a year (i do 4 @500k each) its probably appropriate to chose the oil based on the season or expected car usage.
5w-40 can be had in a dpf suitable oil.
Silverfox
Silverfox1111

Postby Statler1958 on Tue, 08 May 2018 5:36 +0000

hi all

just a short update

the car was looked at today and the dealer did another ECU update that Toyota said needed to be done - it had previously been done the last time the DPF was replaced. They cleaned the 5th injector again - it was apparently chocked which would explain the diesel smell in the cabin so trip not wasted. The 5th injector was cleaned 20k ago when the last replacement DPF was installed.

Service manager said that in the last week another bulletin was received from Toyota concerning the PDF's. The bulliten is some 16 pages long and apparently refers to an interim fix. I am sure Toyota are working on a permanent sucessful fix - the reputational damge to do otherwise would be incalcuable for a Company that markets dependability and reliability

I am waiting on the service managers call in the next day or 2

Cheers
Statler
Statler1958

Postby justacouch on Wed, 09 May 2018 1:16 +0000

Mine's been blowing white smoke on and off. I drive 160km each weekday, 90% highway, 5% fast city and 5% dirt road. I was surprised when this issue came up because Toyota say it's usually associated with short trips. The Toyota service tech recommended the DPF be replaced but after a couple of weeks they're now saying that there is a new procedure that involves cleaning the DPF instead of replacing. I asked if the 5th injector was cleaned as part of that and they couldn't tell me. It's booked in for a couple of week's time.

Year: September 2015
Kms: 80,000
Auto/Manual: Manual
Serviced at Toyota/other: Toyota
Oil used (if known): Toyota genuine
DPF issues Y/N: Y
Km DPF issues occurred: 60,000
justacouch

Postby Statler1958 on Wed, 09 May 2018 6:06 +0000

I got the call from the service manager and the apparent temporary fix is a can of Wurth's PDF cleaner.

interesting to say the least
Thanks

Year: October 2015
Kms: 125,000
Auto/Manual: Auto
Serviced at Toyota/other: Toyota and non Toyota
Oil used (if known): Toyota genuine and Valvoline
DPF issues Y/N: Y
Km DPF issues occurred: 45k, 65k, 85k, 105k, & 125k
Statler1958

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion