Losing power question answered

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Losing power question answered

Postby Toeknee2 on Sat, 04 Nov 2017 8:43 +0000

Hi guys.
When I younger I used to race a go-cart and I developed a 'racing' habit with my feet. Any of you who have done a racing course will know what I mean when I say the most aggressive form of driving has you sometimes pressing the accelerator and the break peddle at the same time. I know that sounds strange to those who have never raced but that's what you do to build up revs so you can accelerate out of a corner (or whatever) with more power.

This brings me to a problem I have when driving my hilux. My beauty is an auto and when I break and accelerate at the same time (for only a fraction of a second) the traction control steps in and cuts my power to the accelerator making the car feel dead for a second or two. This is an unnerving feeling when your in the middle of a busy intersection and you really want that power straight away.

The moral to this story is I need to change my driving habits.
Anyone else experienced this?
Toeknee2

Re: Losing power question answered

Postby darren278 on Mon, 13 Nov 2017 5:43 +0000

I think you'll struggle to find many people driving a ute with this style of driving. Why would you even bother?
darren278

Postby david2017 on Tue, 14 Nov 2017 10:39 +0000

I left foot brake in my auto as well. When I jump in a manual I right foot brake unless I want more grip on the front of the car in a corner. I don’t even think about it, my feet just dance around to balance the car how I want it. I spent way too many days at advanced driver training courses and racing karts when I was young.

The Hilux ECU knows if you press both pedals together and throws a message up on the dash and cuts all power. I’ve only had it cut twice when pulling out of my driveway. You can’t wind the torque up in the drivetrain like most auto cars or a kart. Keep your foot off the brake if you’re accelerating and vice versa is the only way around it.
david2017

Postby Toeknee2 on Sat, 18 Nov 2017 3:49 +0000

Yeah sometimes the old racing habits just instinctively kick in for me too. 99% of the time I use my left for breaking.
Toeknee2

Postby Allords on Wed, 22 Nov 2017 2:07 +0000

I think i remember reading something like this in the manual.
If you hit both brake and accelerator at the same time "something" happens

Given that you have raced go karts, you should know how to "choke" the engine??

Come into a corner, cover the air intake with your hand whilst still on the gas and when you come out release your hand from the intake to get that extra punch.

Your'e just changing your air fuel mixture manually. getting more fuel into the cylinder, then BAM...But....you'll need longer arms for the hilux
Allords

Postby trd2000 on Wed, 22 Nov 2017 7:40 +0000

I'm not sure it's just the auto... I get the same traction control bogging down thing in the manual. This is the first hilux ive had with TRC/ESC and to be honest, i liked it better when the ass would slide and the revs would go up...
trd2000

Postby Hiluxtorv on Sat, 02 Dec 2017 8:42 +0000

trd2000 wrote:I'm not sure it's just the auto... I get the same traction control bogging down thing in the manual. This is the first hilux ive had with TRC/ESC and to be honest, i liked it better when the ass would slide and the revs would go up...
Hold the traction control button down for more than 5 seconds when stopped at the lights

Sent from my CPH1715 using Tapatalk
Hiluxtorv

Return to General Discussion