Roof lining removal

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Roof lining removal

Postby Bschotty on Fri, 25 Aug 2017 8:43 +0000

Has anybody removed the roof lining from their N80 Hilux? Big job?
I just completely stuffed my roof rail install and this is looking like the only option now...
Bschotty

Re: Roof lining removal

Postby TOYZX on Sat, 26 Aug 2017 5:25 +0000

Ya probably wont get it fully out without removing a front or rear window. Is definitely no small job in any car! If you lay your seats down you'll be albe to get plenty of access once it dropped down. What do you need to do? Male sure ya keep ya hands clean and try not to bend it as it will crease easily and believe me they are F-ing expensive to replace!!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby Bschotty on Sat, 26 Aug 2017 6:34 +0000

Thanks mate. Just need to catch the small rivets when I drill then out. I'm thinking just peeling back a corner and slipping a vacuum in there might work. Fingers crossed!
Bschotty

Postby numberplate on Sat, 26 Aug 2017 4:34 +0000

maybe just leave the rivet heads in there ?
numberplate

Postby dabbler on Sat, 26 Aug 2017 6:57 +0000

Is there enough access for a vac hose (or an adapted version) through the dome light cavity ?

Personally, I would think about ignoring them.
dabbler

Postby Bschotty on Sun, 27 Aug 2017 8:45 +0000

All sorted.
Took off the grab handles and door trim. Pulled back roof lining just enough to fish out rivets by hand. A bit awkward but did the job. A couple minor creases but not noticeable and I reckon first hot day and they'll be gone.

I drilled off the heads of each river and tapped them through with a punch and hammer. They drop right around the curtain airbags. Not an ideal projectile to leave in place. I counted as I went and was sure to get them all. Had to use an inspection camera to find one of them.

As a side note when I peeled back the roof lining there was a fair bit of swarf from drilling the holes in the roof. This seems to be unavoidable and ends up around the airbags. I was careful and used a vacuum whilst drilling but still had a fair bit fall through the holes. This mishap gave me the chance to vacuum all that out so maybe a blessing in disguise. Even though these racks are designed to be installed without removing the lining, I'm not sure I'd drill again without tucking a vacuum on the inside.

My advice to anyone else... roof rail install is a two person job. Don't try to do it yourself and f&$k it up like I did. The re-do was easy with a second pair of hands.

- Ben
Bschotty

Return to General Discussion