Fitting breathers

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Fitting breathers

Postby Bschotty on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 2:32 +0000

G'day all. Just a quick shout out to see who's fitted breathers to their lux.
I'm planning on doing he following in a couple of weeks:

- front and rear diff
- transfer case
- transmission (auto)
- fuel tank

I did the breathers on my 120 prado so I'm assuming it'll be a similar job. I'm just going to use the ARB 4 port kit and run an extra one for he fuel tank up near the fuel filler (at least that's the plan!)

If anyone has done any of these he selves and have any tips/pointers before I get stuck in it would be much appreciated.

- Ben
Bschotty

Re: Fitting breathers

Postby Steveyb on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 2:54 +0000

NLC
Steveyb

Postby HBlaz on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 5:06 +0000

This is all the info i could get on the N80 hilux diff breathers.

I paid a workshop to extend mine, they only did the rear diff and half assed the front diff. They ignored everything else, so I decided to do it myself and not worry about poor service.

On the N80 with VSC the front diff has 2 breathers which from the factory are just under the fuel filter in the engine bay, in my opinion most people wont need to extend these, but I will anyway.

The rear diff breather definitely needs to be extended, it sits right on the diff.

The transfer case and auto box have 3 breathers that sit behind the head of the engine on top of the bell housing, I will be extending these too. Note that one of these hoses is a different diameter, so you will need some different fittings to extend them if you chose to do so .

I am not too sure where the fuel tank breather is, but I will more than likely extend that too.

So in total , there are 6 breathers for mechanical components and one breather for the fuel tank .
HBlaz

Postby Bschotty on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 4:16 +0000

HBlaz wrote:This is all the info i could get on the N80 hilux diff breathers.

I paid a workshop to extend mine, they only did the rear diff and half assed the front diff. They ignored everything else, so I decided to do it myself and not worry about poor service.

On the N80 with VSC the front diff has 2 breathers which from the factory are just under the fuel filter in the engine bay, in my opinion most people wont need to extend these, but I will anyway.

The rear diff breather definitely needs to be extended, it sits right on the diff.

The transfer case and auto box have 3 breathers that sit behind the head of the engine on top of the bell housing, I will be extending these too. Note that one of these hoses is a different diameter, so you will need some different fittings to extend them if you chose to do so .

I am not too sure where the fuel tank breather is, but I will more than likely extend that too.

So in total , there are 6 breathers for mechanical components and one breather for the fuel tank .
This is exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks!
There seems to be a lot of info on the N70 breathers but not a lot on the N80.
I will also be doing all of the above breathers in the next few weeks. I'll try to post some pics as I go!

Cheers!
- Ben
Bschotty

Postby Bschotty on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 4:54 +0000

Had the hilux car at ARB to fit th BP-51's so I ended up getting them to pop in the breathers for me.

front diff,
rear diff,
One to a solenoid on the gearbox?
3 to the transfer case (Teed together in to one).
All extended up in to the engine bay to a 4 port manifold on the firewall.
Same set up I had in my prado which worked well.

I asked about a breather to the fuel tank and they said it is already extended from factory up by the filler... so one less thing to worry about.

I have yet to see the car yet but I'll pop it up on the hoist when I get it and take a few pics for anyone that might be doing it themselves in the future.
Bschotty

Postby HBlaz on Fri, 28 Jul 2017 5:09 +0000

Bschotty wrote:Had the hilux car at ARB to fit th BP-51's so I ended up getting them to pop in the breathers for me.

front diff,
rear diff,
One to a solenoid on the gearbox?
3 to the transfer case (Teed together in to one).
All extended up in to the engine bay to a 4 port manifold on the firewall.
Same set up I had in my prado which worked well.

I asked about a breather to the fuel tank and they said it is already extended from factory up by the filler... so one less thing to worry about.

I have yet to see the car yet but I'll pop it up on the hoist when I get it and take a few pics for anyone that might be doing it themselves in the future.

Very nice!

I think ill be doing mine over the coming weekend, plus a plethora of many more mods haha.

With the solenoid breather, which one are you referring to? There is one on the front diff and one on the transfer case .

When you say "3 to the transfer case (Teed together in to one)" , does that mean you have tee'd them yourself? or that they were already tee'd?
HBlaz

Postby Bschotty on Fri, 28 Jul 2017 3:47 +0000

ARB did it so not sure. That was what they told me.
I don't get the car until next week. I'll get it up on the hoist and take a few pictures if I can get a camera up there. Always like to double check their work anyway.
Bschotty

Postby chris9888 on Tue, 13 Oct 2020 4:49 +0000

HBlaz wrote:This is all the info i could get on the N80 hilux diff breathers.

Any photos or videos to show where the 6 breathers located?
chris9888

Return to General Discussion