What Canopy Have You Got?

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Re: What Canopy Have You Got?

Postby Merkin on Mon, 23 Apr 2018 10:49 +0000

just bumping an old thread.
for those with the arb ascent, how are they going?
no issues with central locking?
how is the dust and water proof-ness of these??
Ive got the arb tango hardlid, and the central locking has died, the touch pad to unlock the lid has stopped working, and it sucks dust like no tomorrow (thats with the dust defence kit installed). they should have used a locking point in each corner, rather than one lock point in the middle of the tailgate, as it flexes badly on dirt roads......
its only been on the ute for 7 months, so im negotiating with arb at the moment. Im thinking about going down the ascent path.....
cheers.
Merkin

Postby Hazy64 on Mon, 23 Apr 2018 12:19 +0000

ive got a Spartan canopy with roof bars, central locking and demister on rear window,tilt up side windows,interior lined and light $2500 fitted and very happy.
Hazy64

Postby fitchy on Sat, 28 Apr 2018 4:54 +0000

Merkin wrote:just bumping an old thread.
for those with the arb ascent, how are they going?
Ive got the arb tango hardlid, and the central locking has died, the touch pad to unlock the lid has stopped working, and it sucks dust like no tomorrow (thats with the dust defence kit installed). they should have used a locking point in each corner, rather than one lock point in the middle of the tailgate, as it flexes badly on dirt roads......
its only been on the ute for 7 months, so im negotiating with arb at the moment. Im thinking about going down the ascent path.....
cheers.

Hi mate, I ended up getting the ascent canopy recently when at the Brisbane 4wd show. I havn’t had it long enough yet to comment on the central locking. I gave it a good hose around the windows and where it joins the tub and the only water that seemed to come in was around the tailgate(no seal). Im pretty happy with it, seems decent quality and Imo they’re prob one of the best looking canopies getting around. I had a Razorback one on my previous lux, I liked that too but had some quality issues that they ignored and weren’t going to fix...therefore I never considered them this time.
Shane
fitchy

Postby CB23 on Sat, 28 Apr 2018 5:07 +0000

Merkin wrote:for those with the arb ascent, how are they going?

I've had my Ascent for 6 months now, everything still operates perfectly.
Plenty of 4wd trips and dust seal is pretty good, the main dust vent is the (ute) rear tailgate but once fixed it is perfect.
CB23

Postby farmer127 on Sat, 28 Apr 2018 6:11 +0000

Ive got an ARB tango sport lid fitted to my hilux, and like you I experienced all of those problems you faced. luckily i was able to replace it under warranty. In terms of the dust, having no weight on the lid i found that i had a lot of dust get in, but with a bit of weight on top like a swag and recovery boards, only a minimal amount got in due to the seal being pushed onto the lid.
farmer127

Postby j rayner on Tue, 03 Jul 2018 12:29 +0000

i went with the rsi top,,,s/steel....they look very robust
j rayner

Postby Rusty1972 on Tue, 07 Aug 2018 5:58 +0000

I got a aeroklas canopy from the local dealer in Newcastle. I have been not impressed with after sales service had it back 3 times and as far as I am concerned problem not fixed. Had it back as it leaked took it back and they tightened it up noticed then noticed that the back window dose not sit flat on the tailgate leaving a gap between the rubber seal and tailgate. TJM have stayed that the tub is not sitting square on the car now they are saying that the tailgate is not square. Seems to they don’t know what they are doing or give a shit once they took my $$$. Are canopies meant to be water tight?
Rusty1972

Postby grunf on Tue, 07 Aug 2018 6:14 +0000

no standard canopy is 100% water tight mate
actually I will correct myself, canopy's are water tight but tubs are not. You will get small amount of water in through the area where tailgate joins with the tub
Last edited by grunf on Wed, 26 Sep 2018 4:43 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
18 SR auto, Bullbar, winch, Snorkel, Towbar, TowPro, Stedi LED’s, Dobinsons GVM upgrade, Steel tray, Aluminium Canopy, ARB on-board air compressor, Diff breathers, BFG MT KM3 265/70-R17, Uneek4x4 rocksliders, Frontier LR fuel tank etc
grunf

What Canopy Have You Got?

Postby Myralga on Tue, 07 Aug 2018 7:54 +0000

grunf wrote:no standard canopy is 100% water tight mate
actually I will correct myself, canopy's are water tight but tubs are not. You will get small amount of water in through the area where tailgate shits with tub

Smack on.
The canopy should be water tight to the tub but the tub is impossible to get water tight.

Rusty1972 wrote:I got a aeroklas canopy from the local dealer in Newcastle. I have been not impressed with after sales service had it back 3 times and as far as I am concerned problem not fixed. Had it back as it leaked took it back and they tightened it up noticed then noticed that the back window dose not sit flat on the tailgate leaving a gap between the rubber seal and tailgate. TJM have stayed that the tub is not sitting square on the car now they are saying that the tailgate is not square. Seems to they don’t know what they are doing or give a shit once they took my $$$. Are canopies meant to be water tight?

As for the whole square to tub cab BS.
I always mount the tub and compare it to the body of the ute. But all final measurements are done to the Tub. So the canopy and tub should always end up in harmony. Providing I have ample clearance to the cab.
Do this and it’s ultra rare to have one come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Postby Rusty1972 on Tue, 07 Aug 2018 9:37 +0000

Here is my problem I feel you pay enough for it you should get a better service

https://imghostr.net/image/JHTKw

https://imghostr.net/image/JHOfM
https://imghostr.net/image/JHYW2
Rusty1972

Postby Myralga on Wed, 08 Aug 2018 4:26 +0000

Rusty1972 wrote:Here is my problem I feel you pay enough for it you should get a better service

https://imghostr.net/image/JHTKw

https://imghostr.net/image/JHOfM
https://imghostr.net/image/JHYW2

Rusty I have never seen so much water in a tub. My recommendation.
Get inside the canopy and get the missus/kids/mate to wet down the canopy all over all joins seals etc with the garden hose. Try to mimic rain at the rear of the vehicle. But sides too and front blast everything.
If we have a few drops inside the canopy it’s a warranty at my old shop. You have a darn pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Postby Canyoner on Wed, 26 Sep 2018 12:07 +0000

After extensive research the best canopy is one from SMM Canopies https://smmcanopies.com.au/canopies/smm-v2/ All the best features, central locking, totally water and dust proof (after padding out the tailgate), Roof rack rated at 80kg, Brake lights, demister, Inside is lined and looks great.
Canyoner

Postby Markdavo on Fri, 19 Oct 2018 6:26 +0000

Canyoner wrote:After extensive research the best canopy is one from SMM Canopies https://smmcanopies.com.au/canopies/smm-v2/ All the best features, central locking, totally water and dust proof (after padding out the tailgate), Roof rack rated at 80kg, Brake lights, demister, Inside is lined and looks great.

Do you have one of the SMM Canopies fitted or have you just researched it? I'm very interested in this steel canopy.

Cheers, Mark
Markdavo

Postby Markdavo on Sun, 21 Oct 2018 4:21 +0000

Zac1990 wrote:I priced all around darwin and found the ARB ascent canopy to be by far the best value for money. The flexisport, toyota, aeroklas and caddy canopies all ended up at least 300 more and i would of got less. Not to mention before i actually went into the shops i called up to get a rough price and Arb were the only ones who knew their price and didnt greatly under quote me. Overall ARB were really good and looking forward to getting my ascent.

Zac, you must have had the canopy on for a few months now.

What did you pay?

Any problems?

Cheers, Mark
Markdavo

Postby Sartor on Wed, 25 Mar 2020 8:09 +0000

Any of you can share some insight on the Rhinocab canopies? They were made by The Bush Company and now they have stopped importing them to AUS, however I've seen some people were using them. I am in the EU and there is a local dealer here for them - seems better build than RSI. Prefer a metal / aluminium canopy to replace the checker plate / aluminium hard lid.
Sartor

Postby specwarop on Tue, 07 Jul 2020 4:44 +0000

Anyone with the SMM canopy able to post a side-on photo and also an interior photo please?
specwarop

Postby Allords on Wed, 08 Jul 2020 3:07 +0000

If they were importing them, they weren't made by them.
Probably another Alu Cab, Sth African ute canopy kinda thing.
I dont have one. I have a canopy thats sold by caddy storage Alpha or whatever its called. Its great, its cheaper than the ARB canopy. Is it better.....I dot know, but it hasn't failed me at all.
I'd go an aluminium/steel canopy if i wanted to put a roof top tent on it.

Most canopies state a loading weight. Its generally a static weight for bragging rights.But here's the rub.
A static weight of 100KGS soon turns into a dynamic weight of 300kgs real fast.
STATIC weight is car stopped on flat ground, not moving.
DYAMIC is car being flogged over corrugations.......Sooo in those conditions 30kgs would basically be the manufucktures recommendations.
Think of it as the same BS as towing capacity........You can pull 3.5t.....but make sure theres no one else in the car, the tank is half full, and of course no luggage.

Above all , consult your vehicle roof weight.
Id go an Alu cab, Rhino cab, if doing it again, just for the fudge factor
Allords

Postby specwarop on Mon, 31 Aug 2020 9:47 +0000

Does anyone with the current EGR canopy have issues with the rear door closing and latching? Almost need to slam the hell out of it to close properly.
specwarop

Postby Justo351 on Thu, 25 Mar 2021 6:02 +0000

I went for the full aluminum service body approach. Hole thing was similar in weight to the original steel tray and was dust and water tight:

www.lockandloadutebodies.com.au
Justo351

Postby Goldy714 on Sun, 23 May 2021 10:48 +0000

Justo351 wrote:I went for the full aluminum service body approach. Hole thing was similar in weight to the original steel tray and was dust and water tight:

http://www.lockandloadutebodies.com.au

Hey Justo351 - what was the price like?
'Heidi' the Hilux
2016 GGN125R V6 4.0L
Goldy714

Previous

Return to General Discussion