bullbar pricing

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Re: bullbar pricing

Postby Toeknee2 on Fri, 16 Jun 2017 3:04 +0000

I would consider genuine.
Far more money is spent on research by Toyota. They practically guarantee if you hit a roo you will be able to drive home. And because it's a genuine part its automatically covered as part of your car by insurance companies (having said that you can list an after market bar on your policy and pay a bit extra).
Toyota also don't give their crash test data (for the air bags etc) to any other company which means they are the only ones that can do the proper test simulation with the cars.
Toeknee2

Postby NZMarkb on Fri, 16 Jun 2017 4:45 +0000

Toeknee2 wrote:I would consider genuine.
Far more money is spent on research by Toyota. They practically guarantee if you hit a roo you will be able to drive home. And because it's a genuine part its automatically covered as part of your car by insurance companies (having said that you can list an after market bar on your policy and pay a bit extra).
Toyota also don't give their crash test data (for the air bags etc) to any other company which means they are the only ones that can do the proper test simulation with the cars.

If that's the case why do even bother modifying them at all
Toyota do such a great job with there testing they'll go anywhere and do anything
The fact is we try and make them better for what we want them to do and the buffoons in the factory wouldn't even consider what we do let alone attempt What we do with them
Not unlike the engineers that designed the R22 :lol: :lol:
If your not prepared to stand behind our Troops
Then try standing in front of them
NZMarkb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Toeknee2 on Thu, 22 Jun 2017 5:01 +0000

True Mark.
There is also the "less is more" factor. That is if you make a bar too strong it will transfer too much impact through to your chassis.
The bar needs to crumple before it bends the chassis.
remember if you hit a Roo your insurance company will be replacing your bar (but not if it's non genuine and not listed).
Toeknee2

Postby redders on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 1:47 +0000

I went with the AFN bar with the hoops, think it was $2600 from wolf 4x4 in brissie, in my humble opinion its the best looking bar for the new hilux
redders

Postby TheGruffulo on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 7:06 +0000

I have a genuine Toyota bullbar on my 2016 SR5 and I hit a bird with it. The duck ended up inside the bar itself. Neck broken. Didn't discover it was neatly tucked away until I was cleaning later in the afternoon. Not a scrach on the bar! TOYZX is always putting down genuine bars but they are fine.
TheGruffulo

Postby TOYZX on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 8:11 +0000

Thats because where I work is also a smash repairer so I see plenty of broken s@#t! Got a ranger in there at the moment with an ecb bar on it, I'd be very surprised if they don't write it off from the damage the bar did!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby corym on Tue, 01 Aug 2017 10:54 +0000

Haha of course there shouldn't be a scratch on it after hitting a duck, but I've seen two hilux's heading out of Dargo with a genuine bar half way up the bonnet from hitting deer.

It's all personal preference for most on how they look but if you drive country roads, you do soon learn what to put on your own cars.
corym

Postby Ozwaz on Tue, 01 Aug 2017 5:36 +0000

Would having side rails on make a difference?
Ozwaz

Postby corym on Tue, 01 Aug 2017 6:18 +0000

Side rails, depending on where from will certainly strengthen the wings of a bullbar but I can't see them helping prevent the centre of the bar collapsing back into the bonnet.
corym

Postby cjh111 on Wed, 02 Aug 2017 4:00 +0000

Gatti wrote:I've got a TJM Outback bar on mine and I'm very happy with it.

I paid $2,329.55 fitted and they had a deal on at the time where I got free brush bars and a bash plate.

I went with TJM over ARB as the bar is made using larger tubing which suits the car better IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cjh111

Postby cjh111 on Wed, 02 Aug 2017 4:09 +0000

I ended up deciding on TJM also.. good value, strength, recovery points incl an doesn't hang out the front too far ..ticks the most boxes. Thanks for your advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cjh111

Postby Toeknee2 on Wed, 02 Aug 2017 5:05 +0000

Nice work cjh, hope you enjoy it. I love looking out over a bull bar.
Just remember to tell your insurance company you now have an after market bulbar on your car. When you've done that can you share with us what they say? This forum is a good information dock.
Cheers, Tony.
Toeknee2

Postby Allords on Thu, 03 Aug 2017 8:31 +0000

corym wrote:Haha of course there shouldn't be a scratch on it after hitting a duck, but I've seen two hilux's heading out of Dargo with a genuine bar half way up the bonnet from hitting deer.

It's all personal preference for most on how they look but if you drive country roads, you do soon learn what to put on your own cars.

Well then the bull bar has done its job right?

The only benefit i see of a bullbar other than another place to hang shit off ( winches/lights/ariels etc), is to allow you to continue your journey after hitting wildlife, without bleeding coolant or pushing a fan through your radiator.
That is, hit a roo or less with any bar and you'll get to the next town.
Regardless of your brand of bar, you'll both spend the same amount of time filling out an insurance claim, because there will be some damage.

Hit a brahman bull and again regardless of your choice of bar, you'll both be stranded on the side of the road.

If you're a station owner mustering and pushing bulls around in the country, and don't mind the look of a bent/warped/crusty looking rusted bar that no longer "quite" fits on the front of your 1970 land cruiser, by almeans, an over engineered heavy duty bar may suit you
Allords

Previous

Return to General Discussion