Check people's work

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Check people's work

Postby Decxan on Tue, 18 Apr 2017 6:50 +0000

Hi Guys,

I thought I would share a recent experience I have had. This could have been very bad.

Before you ask I wont name and shame who did this, its not about that. Its about your safety.

I had a lot of extras put on my 2016 prior to delivery and one of these was BP-51 suspension, which is great.

Fast forward 10000km and i was fitting a transmission cooler to my car and i noticed the bolt in bottom of strut was hanging out.

I popped the rim to have a look and found this.

There was no nut put on the bolt on the other side either but it was still in place.

The car went back to Toyota for the 1000km service where the invoice said the checked and tightened all steering and suspension components!

At the 1000km service it also went to the 4wd place to have a ARB Canopy fitted that wasn't ready at delivery. So both parties had the opportunity to check it.

The car has since been repaired with a new bolt, LCA and strut bushing by the 4wd place.

So guys don't trust people you pay to work on your cars. They don't always do what they are paid to do.
Decxan

Re: Check people's work

Postby flip9 on Tue, 18 Apr 2017 8:28 +0000

So lucky they held on for 10,000kms, thats a tragedy waiting to happen. I would bring this up with who ever fitted it.

Probably the work of underpaid overworked apprentice...

When i got my suspensions done, i had a quick look around to make sure its all good. Plus the shop required me to return after 1000kms so they can do a checkup and tighten it all up.
flip9

Postby Decxan on Tue, 18 Apr 2017 8:42 +0000

I know I was lucky.

The shop that fitted it did repair it.

The car did get returned at 1000km. I thought they would have tightened it then.

I guessed i shouldnt have assumed. Better of not trusting people.
Decxan

Postby cooganstein on Tue, 18 Apr 2017 5:11 +0000

Wow!!! That's very poor. I hope you got a hefty discount on your canopy. I had a new alternator fitted over Chrissy period and about a month later my battery light would flicker occasionally. Did a pre Easter check and found the cable from the alty wasn't even finger tight.
cooganstein

Postby Decxan on Tue, 18 Apr 2017 5:26 +0000

Got SFA. I was lucky to have it fixed before Easter.
Decxan

Postby TOYZX on Tue, 18 Apr 2017 5:57 +0000

I'd nearly bet the lower bearing caps and bearing had seized and work the bolt loose. Becoming a problem with the bp51s if not fitted properly! That spherical bearing has extremely tight tolerance and if over torqued it will bind the bolt!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby oggy on Tue, 18 Apr 2017 7:16 +0000

Hoping he didn't have it done in Griffith Luke ;) :lol: :lol:
Occupational health and safety officers..Stop messin with Darwin's theory of natural selection... Stupid hippies.

Oggy's build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=19033
oggy

Postby joombie on Sun, 14 May 2017 9:36 +0000

That is shocking stuff
Hilux Sr5 2010 Dual Cab
joombie

Postby Andyfive on Sun, 14 May 2017 11:10 +0000

Agree, I once had some work done, Drove down the street and a wheel fell off. Always check your wheel nuts...
Andyfive

Postby glifnard on Sun, 14 May 2017 11:36 +0000

This also makes me wonder what they "really" do when it comes to servicing too. Just last week I had my 20 000km service with Toyota dealer. I specifically asked if they will be doing a wheel rotation as I had forked out nearly 2k in BFG K02's and rotation every 10k is a good thing right? Attendant assured me yes. On pickup, the manager not only said they did a rotation but did a wheel balance on the front 2 aswell. Very nice I thought.

Got home and checked and lo n behold - NO rotation or wheel balance had been performed. I know this as I marked the wheels last service at 10k and noticed it wasn't done then either. I let it slide that time as the tyres were only about 2k old at that point.

Rang the dealer, got some lass on the phone who checked the job card and said they didn't do it as the tread still looked great ... I said well you told me that you guys did ... poor save guys.

It's going to be done when I take it in for warranty claim to fix peeling steering wheel - not happy jan. Wonder what else is just not being done because the average joe doesn't know or is aware how to check ...
glifnard

Postby Godzilla73 on Sun, 17 Nov 2019 6:56 +0000

G'day all,

Thought I'd throw this in here instead of starting a new thread.

I had my '18 Hilux serviced Wednesday last week at Toyota and have done about 100ks since, last night driving home it didn't sound like it usually did got home popped the bonnet to find the oil filler cap off.

Nice coating of oil on the plastic cover and a little blown about by the fan, with the cover off only a dribble on top of the motor. Oil level is still fine, but would this have caused any other problems?

I have only done about 10ks since I noticed the difference in engine noise, it certainly wasn't a I'm about to throw a rod noise just a different note. Probably when the cap popped out, as I didn't notice it like that when I checked the oil level when I got home Wednesday right after the service.

Ironic that I'd just been chatting to my brother about the service price as it was a $240 capped price but the parts and supplies alone were well over that.

I'll definitely be mentioning it to the dealer, should I ask for anything else to be done?

Also any tips for giving the engine bay a wash, is it okay to mix up up a degreasing solution and wash it down?

Thanks for reading.Image
Godzilla73

Postby Ozwaz on Sun, 17 Nov 2019 8:29 +0000

Make them wsh it!
Ozwaz

Postby SurferSR5 on Sun, 17 Nov 2019 9:28 +0000

Godzilla73 wrote:G'day all,

Thought I'd throw this in here instead of starting a new thread.

I had my '18 Hilux serviced Wednesday last week at Toyota and have done about 100ks since, last night driving home it didn't sound like it usually did got home popped the bonnet to find the oil filler cap off.

Nice coating of oil on the plastic cover and a little blown about by the fan, with the cover off only a dribble on top of the motor. Oil level is still fine, but would this have caused any other problems?

I have only done about 10ks since I noticed the difference in engine noise, it certainly wasn't a I'm about to throw a rod noise just a different note. Probably when the cap popped out, as I didn't notice it like that when I checked the oil level when I got home Wednesday right after the service.

Ironic that I'd just been chatting to my brother about the service price as it was a $240 capped price but the parts and supplies alone were well over that.

I'll definitely be mentioning it to the dealer, should I ask for anything else to be done?

Also any tips for giving the engine bay a wash, is it okay to mix up up a degreasing solution and wash it down?

Thanks for reading.Image
If it was me, I wouldn't be washing it. I'd take a LOT of photos and check oil level is ok, then take it into the dealer and speak to the service manager.

Don't waste your time talking to workshop foreman or front desk people. Just ask to urgently speak to the service manager.

Let him sort it out from there.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk
SurferSR5

Postby dave g on Sun, 17 Nov 2019 2:47 +0000

100% Back to them make them clean up and yes straight to manager and let them know that you are not happy
dave g

Return to General Discussion