Arb long range fuel tank (Frontier tank)

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Re: Arb long range fuel tank (Frontier tank)

Postby martynvella on Thu, 25 Feb 2021 12:37 +0000

yep, now I understand why, had to set the cruise control cause it is just impossible to keep the speed down to that manually, but that time of night even with decent lights it be risking damage, just too many roos.
it was very quiet out there so wasn't posing any problems, the truckies could see for miles past us on straight roads, most of them did however enquire by CB if everything ok and passed on their knowledge of the road and just enjoyed a chat for a few minutes.
martynvella

Postby Gipsy on Sun, 07 Mar 2021 8:08 +0000

Hi Martyn, for what it's worth, I tow a 2.5tonne caravan and I have noticed a distinct different fuel consumption depending on cruise control or manual speed control. Almost invariably travelling the same route in similar conditions at the same speed I find cruise control gives significantly better fuel consumption. Possibly the cruise control meters the fuel at smaller increments than your foot can. I instinctively increase the throttle when approaching a hill but the cruise control can't see a hill until the load comes on. Maybe this is why?
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby martynvella on Sun, 07 Mar 2021 9:25 +0000

Could have helped but i think the main difference was a more economic speed, that country is dead flat. It was mid winter also so the lower night temperature might have played a part too.
martynvella

Postby Gipsy on Tue, 09 Mar 2021 5:06 +0000

Ok but my observation was at different speeds over different terrain and speeds between 80-100kph. Cooler temps make a big difference because diesels make more power at cooler/more humid conditions. ;)
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Previous

Return to General Discussion