GVM upgrade on registered vehicle

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

GVM upgrade on registered vehicle

Postby Biggles1 on Wed, 01 Mar 2017 5:28 +0000

Hey guys have just moved interstate and was looking at getting a GVM upgrade. Everyone I have spoken too says if u get it after registration when u get the upgrade it's only for that state and have to do it again if move states.
Am I able to deregister my car instead of changing rego to the new state so that I can get a GVM upgrade and have it recognisable all over Australia and would save a bit of money in not having to get it engineered. Or once its registered does that VIN go into a register never to be changed again.
Cheers
Biggles1

Re: GVM upgrade on registered vehicle

Postby William_Foster on Wed, 01 Mar 2017 10:01 +0000

I had my GVM done in NT, this is the only State (Territory) that don't affix a new plate to your vehicle; so when I moved to Tasmania they recognised the engineering from NT but just made me pay for a plate to put on the car.

I'm not an expert but have lived in five of the states/territories now, and can honestly say that in my experience it doesn't matter what you do, every where has a different requirement for some odd thing and charge you for the pleasure of registering. I've had to do over the pit inspections for TAS, NT, NSW and VIC when moving and they always identify something. NSW was the most stringent from my experience, they have a really tough process, but it does keep the unsafe cars off the road.
2013 Toyota Hilux SR5
4x4 Manual Diesel
William_Foster

Return to General Discussion