Upgrading the front lights and DRLs on the SR hilux

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Upgrading the front lights and DRLs on the SR hilux

Postby Toeknee2 on Sun, 26 Feb 2017 1:47 +0000

Hi guys, as some of you know I have a 2017 SR and i love it to bits.
Yesterday I upgraded my DRLs (driving lights) and main head lights and I'm very happy with the results. Changing them was pretty easy as I didn't have to remove anything to get to them in.

First I upgraded the DRLs to LEDs and they look great. That white LED look is much better than that yellow halogen look.
The bulbs are T20 wedges at 5W/21W, I bought cree but I don't know if that was necessary. If you want to upgrade them yourself buy canbus types (ebay worked for me) and spend about $15-$30. Installing them is easy, just pull the plug off, unscrew the bulb a quarter turn and there you are.
Remember the filaments can only go one way so replace them one at a time. If (when) the dash lights in the car start flickering (telling you the wattage is too low) just turn the bulb around. Mine are both in and working perfectly.
I should say at this point that I am not a Auto electrician but I did it under instruction from one.

Next I did the main lights, just standard H4 globes. I think Aussie law states you can't go whiter than 4000k so watch what you buy. I bought a good brand of the whitest legal and they also look great.
If you want to do this yourself I'll tell you how I did it. First I carefully pulled the plug out (straight back), then the rubber seal via the rubber tabs (I used pliers to get in there). Then I pushed the pin in at the bottom and moved it across (it does not completely remove so just lift it in a position that's out of your way). I was careful to look at the pattern (position) of the pins before I took the globes out. Remember, don't touch the glass!
Then I just put the new globes in with the pins in the same positions and put it all back together.
The whole job (all 4 lights) took me about 10mins but take your time if your not confident.
Cheers,
Tony
Toeknee2

Re: Upgrading the front lights and DRLs on the SR hilux

Postby akroehn on Mon, 27 Feb 2017 4:54 +0000

Hi tony,
Where'd you get your t20 drl's? Am having trouble finding some...
I have a 2016 SR and have upgraded my headlights already (philips nightvision) but the yellowish DRL's don't match anymore ;)
akroehn

Postby Toeknee2 on Wed, 01 Mar 2017 2:38 +0000

These look ok, worth the punt:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-7440-7443 ... SwjVVV4BxV

Remember they only go in one way so follow my instructions.
Cheers,
Tony
Toeknee2

Postby akroehn on Fri, 03 Mar 2017 5:50 +0000

Thanks, wasnt sure about finding dual wattage version - have pulled the trigger on these, will let you know how they go :)
akroehn

Postby ccstiteuf on Sun, 05 Mar 2017 2:06 +0000

led for DRL to Hilux SR

http://www.vleds.com/products/v3-triton ... l?___SID=U

triton 6k adaptater 7443

very good

best regards
ccstiteuf

Postby Toeknee2 on Sun, 05 Mar 2017 11:26 +0000

I don't think you should by them ccstiteuf. For starters they won't be ADR approved because they are over 4000k.

As far as I know you can replace a W5/21W bulb with a W5/21W bulb of a higher kelvin brightness but you can't exceed 4000k of brightness. You can even go a bluish white colour but not straight out blue. Blue bulbs/globes are reserved for emergency vehicles only.
Also, I know you definitely can't add those wires etc that are in your link, that could get you a defective notice and void your car warranty.
As for the main headlights similar rules apply, you don't have to replace the exact same bulbs, just ADR approved ones. The beauty of the hilux is that headlight adjuster down to your right. If your lights are deemed too bright for other motorists by a police officer you can just apologize and lower your beam away from other motorist's eyes.
Toeknee2

Postby roilyn on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 6:54 +0000

Will the compete headlight assembly from a 2016 sr5 fit into a 2016 sr hilux?
roilyn

Postby Toeknee2 on Sat, 18 Mar 2017 8:36 +0000

As far as I know it will fit but I'm not sure about the harnesses/wiring/relays side of things.

The following story might be of interest to you in regards to how Toyota will deal with you if you ask them, you see they want to preserve the difference between the SR5 and the SR for obvious reasons.

I got a great deal on a genuine alloy bull bar because it had some light scratches ($1375 plus $500 fitting). When toyota fitted it they said that the bull bar was an SR5 model which was different to the SR version of the same bull bar. According to them this meant the LED driving lights (DRLs) would not be able to work with my SR electronics. So I got it fitted anyway and decided I would take it down to my local auto electrician for a look later.
When I took it to the auto elec he looked at it, started laughing reached down and put a plug into a socket. The bull bar DRLs started working straight away and have worked perfectly ever since. Basically the LED DRLs on the bull bar are just parkers with their own relay, just like your current parkers (DRLs). Both sets of parkers (DRLs) are working at the same time with no issue.
It's funny how the dealership didn't mention the bull bar indicators as being an issue, they managed to plug them in no worries (must be a legal thing). They also work at the same time as my car blinkers.

As a side note my bull bar DRLs and LED parker bulbs are the same brightness and colour which makes it all look balanced and right. I have a unique car that looks great.

So the lesson to be learned hear is don't believe everything a dealership tells you, they have a vested interest and are not affraid to tell a lie. Get a second expert opinion.
Cheers,
Tony.
Toeknee2

Postby adamkberger on Sat, 18 Mar 2017 12:30 +0000

Do the DRLs on the SR dim when the headlights are on cause they do on the SR5? I have a genuine bullbar on my SR5 and the DRLs on the bullbar dim when the headlights are on and also whenever the indicators are on. This could be a legal requirement as to not dazzle other drivers.
2015 SR5 2.8 Dual Cab Hilux
adamkberger

Postby akroehn on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 10:33 +0000

adamkberger wrote:Do the DRLs on the SR dim when the headlights are on cause they do on the SR5? I have a genuine bullbar on my SR5 and the DRLs on the bullbar dim when the headlights are on and also whenever the indicators are on. This could be a legal requirement as to not dazzle other drivers.

Yes the SR DRLs dim when headlights are on. They are a dual wattage bulb - 21W (on their own) - 5W (when headlights are on).

Toeknee2 wrote:These look ok, worth the punt:

Tony

I bought these, plugged them in and they work - BUT they are too large to fit into the hole at the back of the light! Specs say 21.88mm wide, which is about what they measure. I would guess that they need to be no bigger than 18 or 19mm wide though to fit. These are close, but I can't force them in and I dont want to enlarge the hole, so money burnt ;)
akroehn

Postby Toeknee2 on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 7:14 +0000

adamkberger wrote:Do the DRLs on the SR dim when the headlights are on cause they do on the SR5? I have a genuine bullbar on my SR5 and the DRLs on the bullbar dim when the headlights are on and also whenever the indicators are on. This could be a legal requirement as to not dazzle other drivers.

Yeah the DRLs on the car and the bullbar both dim when the headlights come on.
Toeknee2

Postby Toeknee2 on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 7:19 +0000

Thats bad luck Akro, you know they hate negative feedback. Threaten them with negative feedback and I reckon they will either pay back your money or send you a set that do fit a T20 socket.
Toeknee2

Postby coshea on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 9:37 +0000

With the SR, are DRLs meant to be on ALL the time when the lights are set to auto? Or do they only come on a certain brightness/darkness? ..obviously then followed by low beam when it gets darker
coshea

Postby Toeknee2 on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 12:37 +0000

The DRLs (parkers) on the SR are always on when the car is in gear. They emit a standard 21W.
When the headlights automatically come on the DRLs instantly dim to a 5W output. The bullbar DRLs also dim.

Funnily enough I experimented today with putting the lights on manually and what happened is not what I expected. The DRLs on the car dimmed as per usual, however the DRLs on the bull bar didn't dim, they actually went off completely.
It's not an issue but it's a bit weird.

So why is the manual application different to the auto application?
Anyone?
Toeknee2

Postby coshea on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 1:22 +0000

Toeknee2 wrote:The DRLs (parkers) on the SR are always on when the car is in gear. They emit a standard 21W.
When the headlights automatically come on the DRLs instantly dim to a 5W output. The bullbar DRLs also dim.

Funnily enough I experimented today with putting the lights on manually and what happened is not what I expected. The DRLs on the car dimmed as per usual, however the DRLs on the bull bar didn't dim, they actually went off completely.
It's not an issue but it's a bit weird.

So why is the manual application different to the auto application?
Anyone?

Thanks for the reply! I suspected this was the case. I've changed to dual wattage leds for the park lights and they don't seem to come on automatically anymore(definitely not always on) Work if switched on manually. And turn on when the low beams kick in.

Also noticed if you leave the Parker's manually on it won't alarm when exiting the car.

May try fitting a canbus resistor !
coshea

Postby Toeknee2 on Tue, 28 Mar 2017 6:07 +0000

Thanks for the reply Cosh but you didn't really answer my puzzle.

Car in gear= Car parkers bright / Bull bar LEDs bright

Auto lights come on = Car parkers dim / bull bar LEDs dim

Manually turn the lights on = Car parkers dim / bull bar LEDs off
Toeknee2

Postby khromosone on Mon, 03 Jul 2017 1:53 +0000

akroehn wrote:

Yes the SR DRLs dim when headlights are on. They are a dual wattage bulb - 21W (on their own) - 5W (when headlights are on).

Toeknee2 wrote:These look ok, worth the punt:

Tony

I bought these, plugged them in and they work - BUT they are too large to fit into the hole at the back of the light! Specs say 21.88mm wide, which is about what they measure. I would guess that they need to be no bigger than 18 or 19mm wide though to fit. These are close, but I can't force them in and I dont want to enlarge the hole, so money burnt ;)

Did you end up buying another set mate?
2017 Toyota Hilux SR
khromosone

Postby akroehn on Mon, 03 Jul 2017 2:48 +0000

Yep someone else recommended these, so I bought them and they work great. Nice white light.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-X-T20-7443 ... 2749.l2649
akroehn

Postby squireocallaghan on Mon, 03 Jul 2017 4:21 +0000

ImageImage

I just fitted these. They are from the link in the previous comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
squireocallaghan

Postby khromosone on Sat, 08 Jul 2017 5:03 +0000

I also bought the LED's and they are good to go!

Now to find something for the main lights.
2017 Toyota Hilux SR
khromosone

Next

Return to General Discussion