Secondary fuel filter

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Secondary fuel filter

Postby Lagnew on Mon, 06 Feb 2017 7:39 +0000

Hey
Wondering if anyone has put a secondary fuel filter on if so where did you put it. Also about the micron they range from 30 right down to 2 would 2 micron restrict fuel at all.
Cheers
Lagnew

Re: Secondary fuel filter

Postby apSlain on Mon, 06 Feb 2017 8:26 +0000

Lagnew wrote:Hey
Wondering if anyone has put a secondary fuel filter on if so where did you put it. Also about the micron they range from 30 right down to 2 would 2 micron restrict fuel at all.
Cheers

Haven't got a '16, but it looks like it's similar to the pre-'16s - a bracket that replaces the original bracket for the factory filter. See here for reference, with a potential in-action shot here.

On restricting flow - I believe most of the trusted brands tout that they accept above the required flow. However, there has been a bit of a back-and-forth as of late regarding secondary versus pre filters e.g. impact on sensors.
Check out Slain's Overlander, a perpetual work-in-progress.
apSlain

Postby numberplate on Tue, 07 Feb 2017 5:57 +0000

I fitted the Western Filters kit , from Ebay , around $300 for the 30micron including a spare 30micron element. comes with all brackets and new hose etc. very straightforward to fit as well. Can be fitted pre or post i ended up fitting as a prefilter to give me some early warning in case of bad fuel.

as for the sensor issue - the factory filter is 10micron , and the filter assembly was flashing up a "replace filter" message so Tojo replaced my whole housing under warranty.

i have been told that the filter built into the commonrail manifold is 2 micron , but its main purpose is to catch swarf in case the injection pump fails.
numberplate

Postby Allords on Sat, 14 Oct 2017 2:26 +0000

Ive fitted one
Whilst it adds a certain additional layer of protection, id do without if i had my time again.

My reasons area s follows.

Visual viewing of the (fuel manager) bowl is next to impossible.
Getting to the bleed screws on either the factory or fuel manager filter to drain is impossible

Basically its a complete pain in the arse, and turns a 30 sec visual job into an hour and a half, as you need to remove one of the filters to inspect, or be able to drain via bleed valves.

Don't start me on trying to change the fuel manager filter whilst mounted.

Great idea............but such a dumbass position where its mounted

( this is for an N80 setup)
Allords

Postby numberplate on Sun, 15 Oct 2017 5:21 +0000

Allords wrote:I
Visual viewing of the (fuel manager) bowl is next to impossible.
Getting to the bleed screws on either the factory or fuel manager filter to drain is impossible

Basically its a complete pain in the arse, and turns a 30 sec visual job into an hour and a half, as you need to remove one of the filters to inspect, or be able to drain via bleed valves.

Don't start me on trying to change the fuel manager filter whilst mounted.

I agree with what you are saying , hen first installed i thought the same , but since then i have found some workarounds -

the Western Filters bracket was bent in a Z shape ( to allow for fitment of a DCDC ) , so i just bent it straight , took out the Z bit ) which immediately makes it a bit easier to access. My DCDC is mounted in front of the battery.

the factory filter head just slides up and sideways when you want to access either filter bowl , so no problem there.

again on the western filters bracket , I converted the 2 bolt holes to slots , so if i ever need to remove the unit its just a matter of loosening the bolts and sliding the whole assembly up and out. there is plenty of hose spare for this to happen.
numberplate

Postby Allords on Sun, 15 Oct 2017 12:05 +0000

If your mod doesn't have a patent, i might give it a go.
Being able to just lift the factory filter up and out of the way, will make life easier.
Currently the connection on the side of factory filter fouls on the "Z" fold.
Allords

Postby numberplate on Sun, 15 Oct 2017 5:59 +0000

give it a go , it worked for me.

both the factory and aftermarket brackets allow for slide up removal of the factory filter.
numberplate

Postby Allords on Wed, 18 Oct 2017 4:55 +0000

You're a genius!!

The idea of slotted holes make for a world of difference.

So much easier and less complicated to view the bowl, or drain water from either filters now.

Get on to western filers, tell them you're idea and ask...no, demand 5% on every unit sold
Allords

Postby numberplate on Thu, 19 Oct 2017 5:49 +0000

Ive only had to drain the pre filter bowl once so far , after a trip to the Cape. There were a few large globules of water visible in the bottom of the bowl so i'm confident the 30 micron is working as intended.
numberplate

Postby Weewillyhilux on Sun, 22 Oct 2017 5:44 +0000

I fitted a Direction Plus second fuel filter (which is fitted before the original ) with bracket that fits original fuel filter as well. I have been running a 5 micron filter for 10K KMs without any issues.
Weewillyhilux

Postby Tomm081 on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 11:49 +0000

Well this is probably a dumb question however I’m going to ask anyway. Has anyone received any dealer advice re affect on warranty with a 2 micron secondary fuel filter for the Gen 8? Advice was not to fit based on potential performance issues and the fact that doing anything to the fuel system may affect warranty. Advice was to change out the genuine filter more regularly if I was concerned (planning a trip to the red centre for a couple of months so hell yeah I’m concerned.

I am torn. On one hand as has been talked about with the previous Gens, it’s a bloody great idea. On the other hand, from growing up on a farm and only filling up from farm tanks etc which are not ideal, I can honestly say I haven’t had a problem with the cruisers injector wise. All we did was change the filters out when we did 10,000 km services on the utes. I’m sort a f leaning towards the dealer’s advice at least till it’s out of warranty. I didn’t even bother broaching the subject of a catch can! Yeah, probably not worth worrying about warranty considering I’m getting a valve body and TC whacked on, but I figure there is a lot more cash tied up in the donk!

Advice would be appreciated, please don’t slap me too hard tho!

Thanks,

Tom
Tomm081

Postby Allords on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 12:26 +0000

Tomm081
This was my thinking when installing a pre filter.
Denso make the fuel rail, they also make the fuel filter. So they know what tolerance to work to.
Its my understanding that the OE fuel filter is 10micron, and they would have told Toyota...Anything over 10 micron will stuff the system.

So i went with a 30 micron pre filter to catch the big stuff, then use the OE filter to get the smaller stuff. With the added protection of both filters catching water.

Installing a 2 micron filter before your OE 10 micron filter, renders your OE filter useless as it just wont filter.
EG if 1 micron passes through the first filter, it will also pass through the second. You're OE filter will be clean always.

Another reason for going with the 30 micron pre filter was to take a load off the fuel pump.
Yes, ive seen the youtube videos, where they claim no problem. But i'll bet anything you like it was with clean fuel, and two new filters, in a controlled environment. Clean fuel doesn't really work in the real world.
Create any slight blockage in a 2 micron filter, and you immediately have a restriction that makes the pump work harder.

Now if you want to put a 2 micron after your 10 micron OE filter........Again restriction may play a role, you will have very clean fuel, but keep in mind Denso dont care if 3/4/5/6/7/8/9/ microns get through.
Allords

Postby Mulder030 on Sun, 29 Jul 2018 10:09 +0000

guys I am installing a diesel care secondary filter in the ute now and found my 2 sensors that are on the factory filter are to short to re connect.

any one had the same issues?
can anyone tell me what these sensors are?
Mulder030

Postby dave g on Sun, 29 Jul 2018 3:37 +0000

I just cut the wiring and add a piece in and soldier the joints and shrink wrap
dave g

Postby Mulder030 on Mon, 30 Jul 2018 5:09 +0000

dave g wrote:I just cut the wiring and add a piece in and soldier the joints and shrink wrap

I ended up massaging the wiring, lol. There must of been some spare length coiled up in the fuse box, so just pulled it through. All on now. :D
Mulder030

Return to General Discussion