UHF mount location

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

UHF mount location

Postby DWWood on Thu, 02 Feb 2017 4:41 +0000

Hi guys, finally picked up my new SR5 dual cab. I have an old 40 channel which I had mounted on the passenger side of the transmission tunnel on my old Prado however I'm looking at buying a new 80 channel for the HiLux and am wondering if anyone's mounted them anywhere different?

Also with the newer handset type models are they loud enough? Couple of the truck drivers at work whinging they can't hear too well from them but I'm guessing it's either they are deaf or cab noise from the truck. ;)
DWWood

Re: UHF mount location

Postby hotbarrels on Fri, 03 Feb 2017 1:26 +0000

Just mounted the new GME XRS-370C UHF into my 2015 Vigo.

I took the center console out and found a space on the front of the cuddy box, under the console plastic, behind the hand brake, where there was enough room to mount the radio vertically. It is mounted with 4 small screws drilled through the wall of the cuddy box. Then ran a remote mic cable with a flush mount plug to the lower dash panel. Plug/cable was a "Harting Cat6 RJ45 Plug/RJ45 Socket Coupler" from Radio Spares (RS), part number 765-9088.
Powered the radio via a dash push switch and relay fed directly off the aux battery so the radio can run without the ignition on, and the one button push kills all aux outlets plus the radio.

Worked out to be a nice clean install and I am very happy with it. I was worried about the mic volume too but to date, in what is a very quiet vehicle, I am running at just over 1/2 volume via the mic speaker only. You can easily run an aux speaker as well if you run into problems.

hotbarrels

Postby martynvella on Fri, 03 Feb 2017 5:04 +0000

definatly go for the remote controlled one, I stuck mine under the dash and the cord goes through the finger hole of the fuse panel cover with the plug just inside, put the mic in the same place as the post above using stick on Velcro so no holes anywhere.
martynvella

Postby Sideshow on Fri, 03 Feb 2017 12:20 +0000

hotbarrels, thats very tidy :D i like it

I didn't like the look of mounting the unit on / in the dash anywhere, so i managed to fit mine inside the center console so it is completely out of sight. All the wiring can be run under the center plastics and up through a hole (you have to drill one) into the console. since the center console has an inner casing the screws don;t come through to the cab. so nice and tidy :D

when in use the hand piece can reach the mount and the lid still locks closed without pressure on the wires.
Sideshow

Postby adamkberger on Fri, 03 Feb 2017 2:07 +0000

2015 SR5 2.8 Dual Cab Hilux
adamkberger

Return to General Discussion