Hard lid new Hilux

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Re: Hard lid new Hilux

Postby 2468bidw on Tue, 21 Feb 2017 3:21 +0000

G'day all, are there any hard lids that can be loaded with gear & still drop the tailgate to get into the main tub area to slide out a fridge or get to gear? Thinking of having a hard lid possibly with an RTT or mountain bikes on it but still want to get to the fridge & gear.... the Ute Master ones look good jimO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2468bidw

Postby joeshilux on Wed, 22 Feb 2017 1:13 +0000

2468bidw wrote:G'day all, are there any hard lids that can be loaded with gear & still drop the tailgate to get into the main tub area to slide out a fridge or get to gear? Thinking of having a hard lid possibly with an RTT or mountain bikes on it but still want to get to the fridge & gear.... the Ute Master ones look good jimO

Im new to all this but the Toyota one lips over stopping the tailgate being opened, which I think is a good thing considering the tailgate has no lock. I would presume that all makes would lip over for the same reason or what's the point of having a locking lid.
joeshilux

Postby 2468bidw on Wed, 22 Feb 2017 7:30 +0000

True, your logic is strong. Just trade offs I guess. I have a canvas canopy on my N70 tub at the moment. Anyone can get in. I use bike cables & padlocks on tiedown points to keep the fridge & trunks in but that's still relying on faith. If I could have my bikes or RTT on the lid & easily access the fridge or gear then I'd make the security compromise/trade off

2468bidw

Postby 2468bidw on Tue, 28 Feb 2017 6:03 +0000

Thinking my solution will be a roller top like the one in the top of this photo.

2468bidw

Postby Hutch on Tue, 28 Feb 2017 7:20 +0000

Yes I wish I went the roller, took the hard tip off on Sunday not a easy job..

Hutch- 2016 Toyota Hilux D4D Auto Dual Cab - Red, it goes faster...
Hutch- 2016 SR5 Dual Cab D4D Auto.....Red as it goes faster..
Hutch

Postby RedLux16 on Tue, 07 Mar 2017 12:01 +0000

Hi Guys,

The only issue I have with the hard lid is that water gets in when it rains. Is there anything you can do for that?
RedLux16

Postby Hutch on Tue, 07 Mar 2017 7:00 +0000

Where is it coming in, I only get a tiny bit of water in the car wash with high powered spray. I have sealed my tailgate though.

Hutch

Postby RedLux16 on Wed, 08 Mar 2017 5:27 +0000

Seems to be coming in where the sports bar goes through the side. If it rains hard I get quite a bit of water in there.
RedLux16

Postby Hutch on Wed, 08 Mar 2017 7:55 +0000

Should be able to deal around that, TJM installed mine obviously did a good job at sealing it.

Hutch

Postby Bob1289 on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 11:27 +0000

with the hard lid installation they have power in the tub for the central locking and light. I want to install a fridge for when I go on long trips. Is there any way of getting power from this to install a cigarette lighter? or do I need to run wires from the battery again?
Bob1289

Postby Hutch on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 6:17 +0000

I would run some decent at least 6mm cable to run a fridge, run directly from battery.

Hutch

Postby dhegvold on Mon, 29 May 2017 7:51 +0000

I have had endless issues with the locking mechanism on my hard cover since we bought the car last year. After the initial fault, Toyota put a revised actuator in which worked well for a while however started to fail. Its now up to its 3rd replacement locking mechanism and getting problems with it as well, namely not unlocking after being left for an extended period such as overnight. I have to use the key initially and then the remote only operates very ad-hoc.

Today I have gotten the following message from the dealer, hopefully they have sorted it out - "Just wanted to touch base with you and let you know that my foreman has informed me that Toyota Australia has released a new bulletin as of today, in regards revised fix for miss-operation of lock assy. The new procedure is to replace the latch, handle, pull rods and mounts, all of which have been revised from previous fitted parts. I have ordered you this, so when it arrives we can get you back in and carry this out"
dhegvold

Postby joeshilux on Wed, 31 May 2017 2:26 +0000

dhegvold wrote:I have had endless issues with the locking mechanism on my hard cover since we bought the car last year. After the initial fault, Toyota put a revised actuator in which worked well for a while however started to fail. Its now up to its 3rd replacement locking mechanism and getting problems with it as well, namely not unlocking after being left for an extended period such as overnight. I have to use the key initially and then the remote only operates very ad-hoc.

Today I have gotten the following message from the dealer, hopefully they have sorted it out - "Just wanted to touch base with you and let you know that my foreman has informed me that Toyota Australia has released a new bulletin as of today, in regards revised fix for miss-operation of lock assy. The new procedure is to replace the latch, handle, pull rods and mounts, all of which have been revised from previous fitted parts. I have ordered you this, so when it arrives we can get you back in and carry this out"

Hope you get it sorted, Ive been to Toyota 3 times now, every time seems to have been fixed then in less than a week its back to using the key again. I contacted my local dealer again yesterday and just waiting for a reply, I said to them if I wanted to be coming back 3 or 4 times in 6 months for them not to fix it I would have bought a Ranger, I've cracked it now and said if they cannot sort it out take the thing off my car and give me my money back. I'm also thinking maybe disable the central locking and just leaving it unlocked, locking only when I have stuff worth stealing in it.
joeshilux

Postby dhegvold on Tue, 13 Jun 2017 8:30 +0000

dhegvold wrote:I have had endless issues with the locking mechanism on my hard cover since we bought the car last year. After the initial fault, Toyota put a revised actuator in which worked well for a while however started to fail. Its now up to its 3rd replacement locking mechanism and getting problems with it as well, namely not unlocking after being left for an extended period such as overnight. I have to use the key initially and then the remote only operates very ad-hoc.

An update on my previous message - ute went in to have all the new revised parts fitted for the hard cover. They kept it in over night so they could test in the morning and gave me a loan car. Not to my surprise, they phoned in the morning and said they couldn't get it to unlock with all the new parts fitted. They apparently now have four others from my town complaining with the same issue. The dealer has said they will go back to head office and see what the next action might be. STILL NOT FIXED!!!!!
dhegvold

Postby joeshilux on Tue, 13 Jun 2017 11:25 +0000

I don't think they have a fix, mine was supposed to go in last week for the fourth time unfortunately I was sick so I couldn't get it in, Just rang the dealer now to re book it in again, they said they will get back to me because they replaced everything last time round so it should have been good. I'll be asking for a refund after this.
joeshilux

Postby Zilia123 on Tue, 13 Jun 2017 12:45 +0000

MIne's going in also to be replaced as it is stuffed and in locked position.

You can still access the tub though.

Lift the lid slightly and pull the tailgate open it slides past the locked lid.

Then pull the green tab attached to the lid, this then unlocks it manually.

Been doing this for months waiting for replacement parts from Toyota.

Really crap!!!!
Zilia123

Postby Wal4x4 on Thu, 06 Jul 2017 5:48 +0000

I have the same issue with the lock it won't lock with the remote unless you thump the lock with your hand. I had the whole mechanism replaced the dealer tested for 2 days on and off and the issue still exists. The Toyota hard lid and locking mechanism are made in Queensland and is not a Toyota made item it appears there must be a faulty batch of lock solenoids, the dealer said there are heaps of people having this issue, with the factory ordered hard lid. The replacement batch of locks all have the same issue. Dealer is annoyed and so am I.
Wal4x4

Postby darren278 on Fri, 07 Jul 2017 8:00 +0000

Yep, I have exactly the same issue as wal4x4. Toyota have my lux all day today to replace central lock motor and also replace PDF as it's partially blocked and blowing smoke when PDF first kicks in.
Apart from these two issues I can't knock the new lux.
darren278

Postby Wal4x4 on Fri, 07 Jul 2017 7:18 +0000

I had a call from my dealer this afternoon they say Toyota head office says a new solenoid is required (already replaced once this week) if it is still faulty after the next replacement, they will replace the entire hard lid.
Wal4x4

Postby Wal4x4 on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 6:36 +0000

My dealer replaced the lid actuator today so far so good.
Wal4x4

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion