Gen 8 Towing performance

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Re: Gen 8 Towing performance

Postby Ryan1kd on Tue, 11 May 2021 1:12 +0000

I agree

Out of the lot, id have a 1GD or a 4JJ1.
Ryan1kd

Postby Gipsy on Tue, 11 May 2021 1:38 +0000

HK1837 wrote:I still say if you want to regularly tow 2000kg and above for distances, especially in challenging conditions (like country roads, hilly journeys etc, basically anything but flat highways) forget any Hilux sized vehicle. You want something that weighs over 2500kg and has around 5.0L or more. If you just tow a boat to and from the ramp, or a smaller van within 100km from home will be fine. Or a sub 1500kg camper trailer. Otherwise you just end up being a moving roadblock and flog the hell out of your vehicle.

Geez mate that's a bit harsh... I tow 2.5tonne at 100kph (sometimes 110) and I'm sure I'm not a "moving roadblock". I have no problems overtaking semi's and bdoubles uphill and I don't hold anyone up on the straight and narrow :? It all depends on how fast you want to go, but we have speed limits to cover that. I just climbed the Clyde mountain with the van on last week and there were very few drivers stuck behind me.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Ryan1kd on Tue, 11 May 2021 2:22 +0000

I tow a tandem tipper with my digger on the back which is 2800kg...regularly...Grossing out at 5.64t. I dont flog it....and it still keeps up with normal traffic. I don't understand why people are so adamant that their tow vehicle needs to also be a sportscar. Let it work through the motions and it will do what you want it to do.
Ryan1kd

Postby HK1837 on Wed, 12 May 2021 9:58 +0000

Gipsy wrote:
HK1837 wrote:I still say if you want to regularly tow 2000kg and above for distances, especially in challenging conditions (like country roads, hilly journeys etc, basically anything but flat highways) forget any Hilux sized vehicle. You want something that weighs over 2500kg and has around 5.0L or more. If you just tow a boat to and from the ramp, or a smaller van within 100km from home will be fine. Or a sub 1500kg camper trailer. Otherwise you just end up being a moving roadblock and flog the hell out of your vehicle.

Geez mate that's a bit harsh... I tow 2.5tonne at 100kph (sometimes 110) and I'm sure I'm not a "moving roadblock". I have no problems overtaking semi's and bdoubles uphill and I don't hold anyone up on the straight and narrow :? It all depends on how fast you want to go, but we have speed limits to cover that. I just climbed the Clyde mountain with the van on last week and there were very few drivers stuck behind me.

Might be harsh but I think its fair. Every time I travel NSW country roads guess what is at the front of the conga line holding up everything including b-doubles? Vehicles towing something they are really too small to tow. I drove out to Parkes on Good Friday via the Golden Highway. Km after km of the slugs doing 70 in 100 zones, they can't overtake each other as the overtaking lanes are all uphill and all very short, and worse still they do not leave gaps in between each other so even when you have an overtaking opportunity on a straight road with dashed lines and no-one coming it is dangerous as there is nowhere to pull in if you have to. Part of the problem is the engines are too small to accelerate uphill quickly, the other part is the big 2500kg sail behind them that pushes the far lighter tow car around so it isn't comfortable or even safe to do the speed limit. I notice with my Hilux, it has a significant amount of power and torque, more than enough to accelerate from crawl to 120+ up a hill towing over 2000kg if it has to (think the hill coming out of Murrundi or out of Wallabadah), however it still does get pushed around by a decent load on the back, you really know its there when you have a 1500kg Holden on a 750kg trailer even with 4 wheel electric brakes and well balanced, so I do get people being worried to go much over 70kmh on country roads. I'm not singling out Hilux here, any of them: ZD30 Patrol, Landcruiser 120/150, Mitubishi Triton, Dmax, Ranger, BT-50 etc. Even small stuff not necessarily diesels towing something they may legally be allowed to tow but not really suited for, like Captiva or Subaru Outback or even Commodore/Falcon with their arses dragging. Ranger champions are another problem, they always seem to think they can overtake whatever is in front of them and crawl past meaning anyone behind them gets stuck - this happened to me coming out of Sandy Hollow on Good Friday. XLT Ranger loaded up towing a camper trailer decided he could get past the Amarok with a whale behind it. Half way up the 100kmh overtaking lane on the hill he was back to 50 and the Amarok was pulling ahead of him, so he pulls in behind, meanwhile everyone behind is hung out to dry. Just a few days ago going up and back the New England Highway, semis using overtaking lanes to go past baby 4x4 towing caravans chugging up hills, frustrating as hell! I rarely, if ever see the same problem with 100-200 Series, Y62 or older 4.0L+ Patrols, Rams, F-trucks, Silverado etc. They seem quite comfortable cruising along at 100 regardless of the terrain. IMO four long distance non-highway towing well in excess of 2000kg these are the go.
As I said around town as a tradie vehicle towing a decent load, that is what they excel at.
HK1837

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 12 May 2021 2:21 +0000

After all that, what can I say? People don't always do the speed limit with or without a caravan on the back! Don't paint all caravanners here with the same brush mate. Yes I do see the dawdlers on the highway but it's not necessarily because they don't have a 7litre motherxxxer truck! Sometimes it's the driver and not the vehicle. I've seen some dodge ram trucks diddling along too!
So you've talked a lot about a dodge ram, have you bought one yet? Being a tradie you could write off the cost with the current tax benefits for business owners.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby wombat81 on Mon, 17 May 2021 10:17 +0000

I agree with you up to a point, but I think the safe, workable limit while maintaining decent performance is more than 2000kg. The van we're looking at is under 2500kg fully loaded. I reckon the gen 8 will tow it pretty well. I do think the 3500kg tow rating on vehicles that size is stupid, though. Any trailer anywhere near 3t should have a bigger vehicle towing it, IMO.
Current: 2021 SR Dual Cab Chassis 4x4 2.8TD Manual
Retired: 2010 SR Dual Cab Chassis 4x4 3.0TD Manual
My current (2021 model) build thread
My previous (2010 model) build thread
wombat81

Postby Gipsy on Tue, 18 May 2021 7:54 +0000

Wombat, the gen8 should tow your trailer easily but not on Fraser Island which is what your original post was about ;)
Also pay the extra for the Auto, you and the missus will appreciate it in the long run, especially if you don't want to fit a new clutch ;)
Gipsy

Previous

Return to General Discussion