Anyone done a speaker upgrade?

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Re: Anyone done a speaker upgrade?

Postby Deuscartel on Sun, 25 Jun 2017 5:50 +0000

So I managed to install the focal splits in the front and the 2ways in the rear. (Focal sub & amp to come) What an improvement! Wow, honestly the standard speakers are pretty lightweight compared to these focals, the box the focals came in was heavier that the stock speakers. With the front tweeters, I dabbed some automotive silicone on the 3 claws that hole them in, as the focals were a little thicker than the stock tweeters, and the clips weren't fully engaging.

Well worth the cash, really looking forward to getting the sub in. Thanks for the guys who posted about this previously... like any of us need help spending money on these mistress' of ours!

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deuscartel

Postby Deuscartel on Mon, 26 Jun 2017 11:55 +0000

telliscope wrote:The focal ibus 2.1 amp uses a iso harness for the speaker inputs, just need two iso adapters (one standard and one reverse type), one from the headunit to the amp harness and one from the amp harness to the factory harness. No rca's or cutting harnesses. Ibus 2.1 will power the sub and power front speakers.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-ISO-W ... SwiONYK822

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/F-Reverse-IS ... Sw4GVYK-kK

http://66.147.244.245/~focalaus/wp-cont ... sheet2.pdf

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think the top link to the eBay item is the wrong harness I got the APP0140 Toyota IOS harness, but it doesn't fit, I have just ordered the APP0141 Toyota IOS harness, hopefully that fits. The linked reverse harness fits fine. I am connecting the same Focal Ibus 2.1 sub and amp.
Deuscartel

Postby Deuscartel on Sun, 02 Jul 2017 9:01 +0000

I can confirm that the harnesses required are the APP0141 Toyota harnesses. I completed the focal door speakers and Focal ibus 2.1 sub and amp upgrade. Sound is awesome, sub really fills out the bass. I just used the two APP0141 harnesses (one reversed) and it was all plug and play. The ibus 2.1 is powered through the head unit, I didn't run seperate power to the battery. With the sub remote dial it works well when listening to different media ie more of less bass, but also makes listening to music at a lower volume level more enjoyable.

Once again that's to the previous posters for all your help/input.
Deuscartel

Postby RustyCat on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 2:33 +0000

My Kicker Hideaway sub, compact Pioneer amp, and Pioneer front splits sound great up to about vol 40 but when cranked was making the headliner plastic centre panel rattle and buzz. Super annoying. And it took me a while to find it. At first I though I had missed a clip when putting the dash back together.

So I pulled the headliner off and installed a couple of leftover squares of DS18 sound deadener to the internal roof metal iver driver and pssenger seats. Not full coverage but just to add mass to it. I also applied a couple of thin strips to the top of the overhead centre console assembly.

Problem solved and buzz is gone. and it now sounds even better at lower volumes too.

When removing headliner be very gentle. Remove all grab handles, visors, panel plugs, light assemblies, and cargo hooks before beginning to pull the headliner off. Because it may fold and crease if you pull then front down then realise you have to remove the rear parts to get it off enough to access the front part of the cab roof. Thats what I got wrong. There are a couple of good youtube vids in removing the headliner on a Tacoma which will point you in right direction. Took me about 90 minutes.
I also now have a good understanding of what wiring is up there. I'm going to hardwire a dashcam
RustyCat

Postby maguba on Fri, 08 Sep 2017 1:17 +0000

Deuscartel wrote:So I managed to install the focal splits in the front and the 2ways in the rear. (Focal sub & amp to come) What an improvement! Wow, honestly the standard speakers are pretty lightweight compared to these focals, the box the focals came in was heavier that the stock speakers. With the front tweeters, I dabbed some automotive silicone on the 3 claws that hole them in, as the focals were a little thicker than the stock tweeters, and the clips weren't fully engaging.

Well worth the cash, really looking forward to getting the sub in. Thanks for the guys who posted about this previously... like any of us need help spending money on these mistress' of ours!

Deuscartel

Did you install is165toy (front) and ic165toy (rear)?
maguba

Postby HiluxPRO on Mon, 11 Sep 2017 3:17 +0000

Along with the install of these focal speakers have any of you gone to the extent of installing sound deadening? I enquired about a setup which included focal speakers but the next level up from the focal integration speakers for which I was quoted to need pods to fit them in and also other things I wanted amp and sub to drive the door speakers better. I was also told sound deadening would be a good investment. So seeing if any of you guys have installed this?

HiluxPRO

Postby telliscope on Mon, 11 Sep 2017 6:38 +0000

I have dynamatted the doors after installing the focal speakers. Would recommend it, more mid range through the speakers and cuts a bit of road noise out also
REDHEAD AND STOCKTON BEACH TRIP - Youtube https://youtu.be/WbNIu4Zx-eA

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfnkVp ... Heu1_Xd34w
telliscope

Postby HiluxPRO on Mon, 11 Sep 2017 7:57 +0000

telliscope wrote:I have dynamatted the doors after installing the focal speakers. Would recommend it, more mid range through the speakers and cuts a bit of road noise out also

The dynamat is that as easy as measure and cut and stick to inside of door? Did you install the IS165TOY and IC165TOY? Any sub or amp? And did you do it yourself?

HiluxPRO

Postby telliscope on Mon, 11 Sep 2017 8:17 +0000

HiluxPRO wrote:
telliscope wrote:I have dynamatted the doors after installing the focal speakers. Would recommend it, more mid range through the speakers and cuts a bit of road noise out also

The dynamat is that as easy as measure and cut and stick to inside of door? Did you install the IS165TOY and IC165TOY? Any sub or amp? And did you do it yourself?

Yeah all done myself, easy to do just time consuming. I did buy the roller also which does make it easier to apply. I have the focal is and ic166toy and the focal ibus 2.1 sub/amp
REDHEAD AND STOCKTON BEACH TRIP - Youtube https://youtu.be/WbNIu4Zx-eA

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfnkVp ... Heu1_Xd34w
telliscope

Postby Deuscartel on Mon, 11 Sep 2017 9:26 +0000

I had installed the IC & IS focals with focal ibus sub and no dynamatt. My opinion is they are 100 times better than stock, I assume the dynamatt would make them better again.
Deuscartel

Postby HiluxPRO on Tue, 12 Sep 2017 5:11 +0000

Nice you guys have both done sub and sub and amp. I don't feel too confident on installing the amp and sub is that difficult or more time consuming? And the sub is that underseat? Attached to MDF and glued under the seat? So no drilling into the floor. I'm asking as I got quoted $230 for the whole shebang but it's the next speakers up which require pods and some speaker soundskin rings so the door card doesn't cause vibration and dynamat so it is a quality install but the labour charge of $560 is something I could save on.

HiluxPRO

Postby Critter350 on Tue, 12 Sep 2017 7:53 +0000

The dynamatting is something you can do yourself. I bought a door kit and then my brother gave me a full car kit he bought a couple of years ago. I'd recommend using it fresh though, the matting doesn't go off but the paper backing starts to break down and leaves paper stuck to the butyl. All up took me 1.5 hrs to strip the cab out, another hour to clean it up and several more hours to install. I've done inner and outer skin on the doors, don't know if it's a good idea because I didn't try the new speakers without it.
ImageImage
BTW, I've used Polk 6502 speakers, Pioneer D8604 amp & borrowed a slim underseat powered subwoofer at the moment. Still tuning but sounds great.
Considering pair of JL audio 6.5" subs for the rear factory placements, reckon I can pretty much seal the plastics with dynamat, but is less than ideal because the plastic will flex. Still, hoping it will be ok for the 6.5's, do need a bit more bottom end than the Polks will deliver.

Cheers
Crit
Critter350

Postby HiluxPRO on Wed, 13 Sep 2017 5:12 +0000

Nice work Crit, certainly takes a while to do the whole shebang but I bet it's worth it in the end!

HiluxPRO

Postby SilverSP on Sun, 19 Nov 2017 6:47 +0000

Well I think it's my turn to go the focal upgrade. The stock speakers bottom out easily when playing bass heavy music at not what I consider loud volume with the stock unit. The bass control is set at "flat"

At first I thought it was the kicker slimline sub I installed behind the back seat but turning that down didn't change anything with the bottoming out. So unless something better has come along and just as easy to install I'll go with the Focals from lifestyle Parra as I'll likely be at Seven Hills sometime this week.
SilverSP

Postby Allords on Wed, 22 Nov 2017 12:24 +0000

I followed the consensus and installed focal front and rear.
Thank you for the "heads up"..........so much better
Allords

Postby SilverSP on Thu, 23 Nov 2017 3:23 +0000

Allords wrote:I followed the consensus and installed focal front and rear.
Thank you for the "heads up"..........so much better

Same here, I went to Lifestyle and brought the Focals front and rear as well as Dynamat for the doors and rear.
Haven't done the rear yet but the rest has been completed and the difference is night and day.

Sound itself has been cleaned up with more depth in the mids and treble isn't as harsh and also surprising how deep in the bass these go.
I have a kicker underseat sub which I've retuned for the bottom end only as the mid bass is already in abundance.

Also found as a bonus that using Dynamat both on the outer and inner door panels has also reduced the engine noise.
It feels like a completely different vehicle now.
The speakers are also slightly more efficient then the factory ones as another bonus.

Speakers themselves were straightforward to install as too removing the door panels.

Very happy overall. Thanks all!
SilverSP

Postby SilverSP on Fri, 24 Nov 2017 6:17 +0000

Did the rear yesterday as I noticed that the road noise now comes from the rear. See how it goes today when I go out later on.
SilverSP

Postby Critter350 on Sun, 31 Dec 2017 8:13 +0000

If you’re wondering what to do with your old speakers - my brother got a Bluetooth and mini amp from Jaycar for $15, built a box with his son and now has a portable Bluetooth speaker. Good project for ya kids.

Critter350

Postby jabiru18 on Sun, 25 Mar 2018 4:29 +0000

telliscope wrote:Fronts - IS 165TOY

Rears - IC 165TOY

IC 165TOY can also be used in front position, they just dont have the tweeters.

After much deliberation with the wife I just ordered some IC 165TOY + Kenwood DDX917WS Head Unit. Total $1100.

I think that's a good price for what I am getting. Probably Dynamat the doors at the same time.
jabiru18

Postby Scoobalimalima on Sun, 25 Mar 2018 7:02 +0000

I've had the DDX917WS in my ute for a month now, great unit! I love that it integrates seamlessly with my iPhone using the apple CarPlay.

SLL
Scoobalimalima

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion