Anyone done a speaker upgrade?

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Re: Anyone done a speaker upgrade?

Postby akroehn on Wed, 16 Nov 2016 4:39 +0000

Thanks guys, i pulled the trigger and bought them, installed all in about an hour.. and yes a massive difference! The original speakers just couldn't go loud without the bass distorting, although i thought they sounded ok at low volume and with acoustic style music (ie not much low bass) - these Focals can really crank, and fill out the sound nicely :)

I couldn't believe how light weight the stock speakers were, plastic basket and a tiny magnet, no wonder they couldn't push out much sound!

So not a cheap upgrade, but if you like listening to music, i'd say this is a pretty worthwhile upgrade.
Just waiting to see if my wife notices the sound difference now (im betting no) ;)
akroehn

Postby ThePursuit on Thu, 17 Nov 2016 4:46 +0000

telliscope wrote:Ended up fitting the focal integration ibus 2.1 amp /sub also. Plug and play with an ISO adapter harness from the head unit. Front speakers run off the amp, and the sub fills the bottom end nicely. fits perfect under the passenger front seat.

Tell me more about this ISO adapter harness.

Have a 2014 SR for work and I am trying to keep original head unit but do miss having a sub, I have only recently started looking into upgrades now the originals are sounding worse with every day. Those focals look the goods.....
ThePursuit

Postby telliscope on Thu, 17 Nov 2016 7:42 +0000

The focal ibus 2.1 amp uses a iso harness for the speaker inputs, just need two iso adapters (one standard and one reverse type), one from the headunit to the amp harness and one from the amp harness to the factory harness. No rca's or cutting harnesses. Ibus 2.1 will power the sub and power front speakers.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-ISO-W ... SwiONYK822

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/F-Reverse-IS ... Sw4GVYK-kK

http://66.147.244.245/~focalaus/wp-cont ... sheet2.pdf
REDHEAD AND STOCKTON BEACH TRIP - Youtube https://youtu.be/WbNIu4Zx-eA

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfnkVp ... Heu1_Xd34w
telliscope

Postby mpk200 on Wed, 30 Nov 2016 9:16 +0000

Hi

My focal speakers have just been delivered.Im hoping to install tomorrow.

I don't suppose anyone has a ' how to remove the door panels' on my 2016 sr5?

I'm sure it's straight forward I just don't want jump in breaking clips etc if there is a set procedure.

Cheers

Mike
mpk200

Postby sugaris on Wed, 30 Nov 2016 11:42 +0000

Tip for young players... when taking the door skin off there is a hidden screw behind the door opening latch. There is a plastic plate that you can remove and that exposes the screw. Other than that, the rest is clips and you pull the skin away from the door. Be careful of the wires that connected the power window switches and the like.
sugaris

Postby akroehn on Wed, 30 Nov 2016 12:20 +0000

mpk200 wrote:I don't suppose anyone has a ' how to remove the door panels' on my 2016 sr5?

Yes there is a screw behind the door handle - little cover that pops off, exposing the screw.

But on my SR (SR5 probably the same..?) - you also have to pull off the fabric arm rest - get your fingers in underneath one end and pull up. It's held in with plastic clips. Behind there are 2 more screws.

Then the rest is all plastic clips around the perimeter - get your fingers in behind the lower corner and pull. I managed to get all mine off by hand, no tools needed, although they are pretty stiff...

Once the panel is loose, you have to poke the door handle through, and disconnect the plug for the power windows.

Then drill out the rivets for the stock speakers, unplug the speaker cable, rivet the new ones in and reconnect the stock cable plug. Job done!

:-)
akroehn

Postby mpk200 on Wed, 30 Nov 2016 2:36 +0000

Thanks for your help.

Mike
mpk200

Postby beediddit on Thu, 09 Feb 2017 5:27 +0000

Hello All,

I just pulled the trigger on a '17 SR5 RHD, Auto, DC on special order and am looking to do a speaker upgrade. My problem is that it's not here yet (4 more weeks) and I want to plan my sound system while it is in transit. Also, other goodies are on the table and I need to decide how far down this rabbit hole I want to go. Maybe I just need to pass the time but hey when did a little planning ever hurt an install?

Some background: I'm in Jamaica (the truck is on it's way from Thailand) and since we are so small we tend not to have everything here locally; or at a ridiculous markup. So I'd like to pickup anything I might need when I travel to the US later this month, if necessary. Also, my understanding is that the Thai Hilux's main differences will come in the suspension not the cabin.

I have been doing some research but it is difficult to get relevant information online for this specific model/issue. Spoke to some local guys but few have experience with the new model and they all seem to disagree in what direction I should go. I saw this forum, joined last night and boy am I glad I did because it is the first forum that seems to have people who can help for this specific issue and already it has helped tremendously.

Here's what I have in mind in terms of equipment:

Amp (only want 1) : JL RD900/5 , JL XD700/5 or Pioneer GM-D9605
Sub (plan for 1, open to 2) : JL 10TW3-D4 (was talked out of the 13" T5) or Pioneer TS-SW2502S4 (10") or the 12" version. All options will be accompanied by a custom box.
Speakers: Pioneer A Series or JBL GTO Series 6.5" Components x 2 in the front, Coax x 2 in the back.

I'm mostly basing this equipment list off of a local installer who just did one and that customer went all JL. He used XD700/5, TW5 13", C2/CXI 6.5" but I'm wondering if I could possibly get a similar bang for my buck if I mixed some things up a bit with Pioneer/JBL in the right places. If it all goes downhill then I can easily listen to this setup and copy it, but the cost is a little steeper than I am willing to go.

Notes:

I just learned about the Kicker Front Row DSP and am intrigued but not sold just yet.
Also I am very interested in sound deadening but I am scared to death of ripping all of the skin off my brand new truck in what should be an 'improved' cabin space.

My plan is to remove the backseat to mount the sub and amp back there then replace the existing door speakers. In a pinch I know I can fit the amp under the passenger seat but not sure if that's necessary.

My first concern is that I see the truck has 6 speakers, can someone confirm those locations for me? Are they calling the door tweeters speakers or am I missing something here?

Second concern is speaker fit. I saw earlier people talking about the Focals specifically made for Toyotas but if I got those I'd basically blow half my budget on door speakers; which I figure would be the first place I could squeeze some value by going Pioneer/JBL. Are the fit of the speakers different from the 7th Gen?

I'm not a pro by any means and any help would be much appreciated! When it comes to running the wires, adjusting the speaker fit, etc. I will be employing a professional but I am the kind of person who likes to get his hands dirty and help if I can by knowing what is being done and exactly why it's being done.

TL;DR: Sub(s), Amp, Speakers, what setup is best for DC '17 SR5?

Thanks in advance
beediddit

Postby Deuscartel on Sat, 27 May 2017 5:10 +0000

telliscope wrote:Ended up fitting the focal integration ibus 2.1 amp /sub also. Plug and play with an ISO adapter harness from the head unit. Front speakers run off the amp, and the sub fills the bottom end nicely. fits perfect under the passenger front seat.
Hi guys, I have ordered the Focal Sub, Toyota door speakers and IOS adapters. My question is with wiring. Is the sub with the IOS adaptors (including powering the front speakers) all plug and play? Is it just one set of wires that are run from under the seat to the rear of the head unit?

Thanks in advance.
Deuscartel

Postby TOYZX on Sat, 27 May 2017 5:15 +0000

No no no no. For starters, Any amplifier requires a large power supply direct from the battery.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby RustyCat on Sun, 04 Jun 2017 2:59 +0000

Toyzx, any exceptions to that rule?
I am adding a Pioneer micro amp GMD1004. 4x 45 rms. thing wants 15amps. And I have the harness adapters ( OEM head to iso, iso to amp: then amp out to iso then to oem loom. )
I was hoping not to have to cut the factory or pioneer harness. But maybe I will have to if I need power direct from battery.
I am running power direct from battey to powered Kicker hideaway sub located behind rear seat anyway. ( which fits pretty well perfectly btw)
Any advice?
RustyCat

Postby RustyCat on Sun, 04 Jun 2017 3:03 +0000

Telliscope
Does your focal ibis 2.1 take power from harness adapters or have you wired up to a seperate power source. Want power does the amp need?
RustyCat

Postby akroehn on Sun, 04 Jun 2017 3:30 +0000

RustyCat wrote:Toyzx, any exceptions to that rule?
I am adding a Pioneer micro amp GMD1004. 4x 45 rms. thing wants 15amps. And I have the harness adapters ( OEM head to iso, iso to amp: then amp out to iso then to oem loom. )
I was hoping not to have to cut the factory or pioneer harness. But maybe I will have to if I need power direct from battery.
I am running power direct from battey to powered Kicker hideaway sub located behind rear seat anyway. ( which fits pretty well perfectly btw)
Any advice?

Snap.. i just bought the same amp, and a wiring harness... havent got it yet.
instructions say if your stock audio unit has a 15 amp fuse you can use the existing power. I checked and my 2016 sr has a 20 amp fuse. So i might try using the existing power, although its not hard to add a separate line from the battery.
This amp is not a massive power hog, and i dont plan on cranking it to max, there is no sub etc... im not trying to win SPL comps or anything. So i think ill give it a go without running a separate line. If the fuse blows (might swap to a 15 for safety) ill think again, but i doubt it will.

Ive done the focal speaker upgrade, and have found that on new pop/r&b etc, where the mxing has been done in line with the 'loudness wars' (google it), the speakers sound great and pump nicely with the stock head unit. But on older music, say 90s and earlier, the stock head unit cant supply enough grunt to get the music pumping. At about 35 to 40 volume level the stock head unit limits bass and you just get higher mid and treble volume increase.
So im hoping that this little amp, which is pretty cheap and low power, will let me crank up some of my older music on the focal speaker upgrade.
Will let you know, should have it in the next week or so.
:)
akroehn

Postby RustyCat on Sun, 04 Jun 2017 3:41 +0000

Akroehn
Do the focals have a seperate crossover? If so where di u place it?
RustyCat

Postby akroehn on Sun, 04 Jun 2017 4:15 +0000

RustyCat wrote:Akroehn
Do the focals have a seperate crossover? If so where di u place it?

No separate crossover, just unplug the stock speakers and plug in the focals. Must use the stock crossover, not sure where it is.
akroehn

Postby RustyCat on Sun, 04 Jun 2017 5:21 +0000

Hmm. The pioneers have seperate crossovers. I think I'll run new speaker wires and leave the factory harness off.
Thanks for the response
RustyCat

Postby RustyCat on Tue, 06 Jun 2017 7:50 +0000

To install Pioneer GMD1004 micro amp I used Aerpro APP0140 & APP0140F adapters. F adapter from 2016 SR5 OEM head unit to pioneer input harness and male harness between pioneer output harness and factory loom. Worked a treat and no cutting
RustyCat

Postby telliscope on Wed, 07 Jun 2017 5:54 +0000

RustyCat wrote:Telliscope
Does your focal ibis 2.1 take power from harness adapters or have you wired up to a seperate power source. Want power does the amp need?

I wired up a separate power source to the amp, the cabling/fuse is supplied with the amp
REDHEAD AND STOCKTON BEACH TRIP - Youtube https://youtu.be/WbNIu4Zx-eA

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfnkVp ... Heu1_Xd34w
telliscope

Postby akroehn on Tue, 13 Jun 2017 9:04 +0000

Installed the Pioneer GMD1004 Amp over the weekend. Made a big difference to the previous Focal speaker upgrade i did earlier - it can drive them a bit harder. The amp introduced a slight hiss to the speakers, but I think that is normal for a speaker-level input amp. It's not really noticeable when driving, only when stopped, and the improvement in sound makes it well worth it.

I used a different wiring harness: the Aerpro CT10TY01 ISO T-Harness. This one harness is all you need, can be bought on ebay for about $30. Says it's for a bluetooth kit, but worked fine with this amp. The power cables are decent thickness, and since this is a low powered amp, and the stereo already has a 20amp fuse, I didnt run a separate power line. Works perfectly.

FYI here's a good video on how to get the dash apart to get behind the existing stereo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PcPsEG1Spc

Amp and wiring harness, showing how the cables plug together.

Red arrows show the 2 plugs that connect to the wiring harness.

Wiring harness connected to existing plugs

The amp itself I installed under the centre console, plenty of room down there, and the cables are plenty long enough. I stuck it to the base with a few sticky velcro pads, and cable tied up the cables to keep it from vibrating or moving around.

So overall I'm really happy with the result. Looks and functions as stock, but a huge improvement in sound. Pretty easy installation too - the Focals took about an hour to install, and this amp took another hour to install.

One strange thing I noted, after putting everything back together, and putting the Battery Neg terminal back on, that the pic on the dash that shows which door is open was backwards for the front doors! Ie with the drivers side door (R) open, it showed that the Left front door was open, and vice versa. Confused me a bit as I didnt think I had unplugged anything to do with the door switches. I pulled everything apart to double check that I hadnt missed anything, and it still was the same. So I though it must be a programming issue after disconnecting the battery, and was going to ask my dealer to fix (due for a service soon). But then when I started the engine, I noticed the door indicator on the dash instantly flipped back to normal! So starting the motor must have triggered the programming to correct itself again.
Just thought it was worth mentioning in case anyone else saw the same thing - it should correct itself.
:-)
akroehn

Postby RustyCat on Tue, 13 Jun 2017 5:25 +0000

Good post. Especially the pics.
I agree with your evaluation of the results, though I havnt noticed any hiss. Bizarre about the door indicator. I mounted mine same spot.
RustyCat

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion