Anyone done a speaker upgrade?

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Re: Anyone done a speaker upgrade?

Postby jabiru18 on Mon, 26 Mar 2018 10:51 +0000

Scoobalimalima - Nice! Can you watch movies or youtube while in motion? Iphone user here.

Theres tons of Android based units on Ebay for cheap, I checked out a few friends units, load slow and lots of bugs.
jabiru18

Postby Scoobalimalima on Mon, 26 Mar 2018 11:29 +0000

Technically Apple CarPlay does not allow you to to use youtube etc as they don't want to be seen as advertising watching a video while driving, which I can understand from a legal perspective. There are a few work arounds for this though, one is to just use a usb stick or DVD with the video files on it and yes you can watch them while driving (you do have to connect or leave unconnected a wire though, can't remember which one) when hooking up the unit to allow this. If you go to carboncarsystems.com.au web site they have a full Youtube video on how to hook up this unit to a hilux and they specify which is the wire to take note of. The other two options that I know of is...

1- Open the video on Youtube on your phone, select share video, select text message, send the text to yourself, now you just open messages app on CarPlay and find the message that you sent to yourself, click on the Youtube video and there you go you can now watch it full screen.

2- Jailbreak your iPhone and there are tons of third party apps that will allow you to use practically any app in CarPlay.

The iPhone does not support screen mirroring as the android devices do at present so it does make it a little more restricted as such but hey it's nothing thats not easily worked around.

Hope this info helps.

SLL

Edit - There are limited apps available to use via apple CarPlay at present that I am aware of like Maps, Messages, Spotify etc which is fine for me personally as I'll load a USB drive for videos on the go to keep the rug rat sane in the car if needed.
Scoobalimalima

Postby jabiru18 on Thu, 29 Mar 2018 11:59 +0000

Thanks for the great info Scoobalimalima.

Hanging out to install mine now.
jabiru18

Postby Micky1 on Fri, 30 Mar 2018 2:06 +0000

telliscope wrote:Can recommend these guys, post aust wide.

http://www.lifestylestore.com.au/catalo ... /?q=165toy

Thanks Telliscope ordered mine Monday night and they arrived Thursday morning great shop.
Installed them today took me 3 hours (yep I'm slow) they sound great, the bass and mid range really stand out :)
Watched this video on YouTube on how to remove the door panels https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3ZOgzAIqOA
Only problem I had was the rivets spinning around when trying to drill them out, multi grips fixed that.

Thanks M8
Micky1

Postby Scoobalimalima on Tue, 03 Apr 2018 9:17 +0000

Hey jabiru18

I have just come across info that there is a new firmware upgrade for the Kenwood DDX917WS that allows full iPhone screen mirroring and as a bonus it's wireless! See the link below for all the details and files to download etc.

https://carboncarsystems.com.au/apple-i ... -ddx917ws/

This means you can now disregard my previous post that stated the ways you had to 'work around' to be able to play a YouTube video etc. Anything you can do on your iPhone you can now do on this Kenwood deck! I'm pretty stoked with this upgrade!

SLL
Scoobalimalima

Postby Spin addict on Sun, 15 Apr 2018 9:56 +0000

Scoobalimalima wrote:Hey jabiru18

I have just come across info that there is a new firmware upgrade for the Kenwood DDX917WS that allows full iPhone screen mirroring and as a bonus it's wireless! See the link below for all the details and files to download etc.

This means you can now disregard my previous post that stated the ways you had to 'work around' to be able to play a YouTube video etc. Anything you can do on your iPhone you can now do on this Kenwood deck! I'm pretty stoked with this upgrade!

SLL
I have tested this and while I am able to get my iPhone to mirror, it wont play videos from you tube or iTunes.

Have you tested it yet? Be interested to know if you more joy than me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Spin addict

Postby jabiru18 on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 10:24 +0000

Nice find Scoobalimalima, thanks for that. I am pretty stoked it is now wireless!

Will give it a try this weekend when I get home
jabiru18

Postby Spin addict on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 5:43 +0000

jabiru18 wrote:Nice find Scoobalimalima, thanks for that. I am pretty stoked it is now wireless!

Will give it a try this weekend when I get home

Just so you know, it’s not wireless car play. Unless I can get the video playback to work I think it’s near on useless.

Spin addict

Postby Scoobalimalima on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 8:21 +0000

What's so hard with getting video playback to work? Just mirror the iPhone, open the app eg Youtube and play. Easy as!

SLL
Scoobalimalima

Postby Spin addict on Tue, 17 Apr 2018 3:07 +0000

Scoobalimalima wrote:What's so hard with getting video playback to work? Just mirror the iPhone, open the app eg Youtube and play. Easy as!

SLL

Not so for me. I can mirror no problem, until I open a playback service, it then tries to airplay and dies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spin addict

Postby Scoobalimalima on Tue, 17 Apr 2018 4:08 +0000

Not sure what’s going on there. Have you tried rebooting your phone? Like I said, I have no issues playing videos from YouTube, ABC kids app for the little one etc.

SLL

Scoobalimalima

Postby Spin addict on Wed, 18 Apr 2018 2:59 +0000

Scoobalimalima wrote:Not sure what’s going on there. Have you tried rebooting your phone? Like I said, I have no issues playing videos from YouTube, ABC kids app for the little one etc.

SLL

It’s good to hear that it does actually work. When you connect your phone to the kenwood via the “connection switch”, do you then have to enable airplay on your phone to start mirroring?
That’s what I have to do and then the Mirroring starts to work. Once I start YouTube the kenwood screen just goes black.

My phone OS version is 11.3

Spin addict

Postby Scoobalimalima on Wed, 18 Apr 2018 6:39 +0000

Have you updated your Kenwood unit with the latest firmware? I never tried screen mirroring before I updated so that may be the issue.

See below video on how to complete the firmware update.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CgiiCkERmo

Watch this video after completing the update as there is an extra step required if your going to mirror with an iPhone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQQQ81rIYOE

And the link on this page is where you download the files required, also has all the above instructions in text form too.

If you follow the above (as I did) it should work fine.

Cheers,

SLL,

Edit: Make sure the USB used for the file transfer is formatted as a FAT32 partition, I had a few issues with the head unit not recognising the files at first as I had it formatted in NTFS, EX FAT and also tried Mac OS with no joy.
Scoobalimalima

Postby Spin addict on Wed, 18 Apr 2018 9:11 +0000

Scoobalimalima wrote:Have you updated your Kenwood unit with the latest firmware? I never tried screen mirroring before I updated so that may be the issue.

Watch this video after completing the update as there is an extra step required if your going to mirror with an iPhone.

And the link on this page is where you download the files required, also has all the above instructions in text form too.

Cheers,

SLL,

Edit: Make sure the USB used for the file transfer is formatted as a FAT32 partition, I had a few issues with the head unit not recognising the files at first as I had it formatted in NTFS, EX FAT and also tried Mac OS with no joy.

So I spent a little time testing it tonight, first I just put a DVD into to test to make sure video playback worked and the handbrake wasn’t stopping video playback. That was all good.

Anyway got my iPhone mirroring on the head unit. I opened Netflix tried to playback a video and nothing. Opened the you tube and and no joy either. I then opened YouTube via safari and that actually worked.

So it looks like I can only use video playback via safari.

Is that the same for you? I also verified the same behaviour on my iPad.

Spin addict

Postby Scoobalimalima on Wed, 18 Apr 2018 9:51 +0000

Spin addict wrote:
Scoobalimalima wrote:Have you updated your Kenwood unit with the latest firmware? I never tried screen mirroring before I updated so that may be the issue.

Cheers,

SLL,

So I spent a little time testing it tonight, first I just put a DVD into to test to make sure video playback worked and the handbrake wasn’t stopping video playback. That was all good.

Anyway got my iPhone mirroring on the head unit. I opened Netflix tried to playback a video and nothing. Opened the you tube and and no joy either. I then opened YouTube via safari and that actually worked.

So it looks like I can only use video playback via safari.

Is that the same for you? I also verified the same behaviour on my iPad.

No, again like I said previously I can play anything from any app without issues.

Somethings not quite right with your setup. Did you update firmware as suggested?

SLL

Scoobalimalima

Anyone done a speaker upgrade?

Postby Spin addict on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 7:40 +0000

Yeah I did the firmware update two months ago. It is definitely frustrating!

I reset the kenwood and it made no difference, reset my phone and no difference.

I read through the comments on the carboncar systems you tube channel and I am not alone with this problem. Heaps of people have the same issue with you tube and Netflix.

What IOS Version and iPhone are you using?

Spin addict

Postby khromosone on Sun, 09 Aug 2020 4:39 +0000

How much dynamat does one need to cover front and rear doors?
2017 Toyota Hilux SR
khromosone

Postby usurp on Thu, 18 Aug 2022 7:06 +0000

khromosone wrote:How much dynamat does one need to cover front and rear doors?

I just ordered the door kit from Amazon, supposed to be enough for the two front doors will let you know.
usurp

Postby usurp on Fri, 19 Aug 2022 3:08 +0000

Just realized this conversation was from 2020. Anyway, I installed dynamat today, their door kit which is good for 2 doors comes in 4 pieces. I used 1 and 1/2 piece per door so I have 1 full piece left. Wouldn't be enough to cover the rear door fully.
usurp

Previous

Return to General Discussion