Cold Clutch Shudder

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Cold Clutch Shudder

Postby stevman87 on Tue, 14 Jun 2016 3:53 +0000

Hi all,

Just wondering if any one else experiences a clutch shudder on a cold car. I live on a hill and each morning after leaving the drive way (up the hill) i get a shudder upon releasing the clutch in first and sometimes in second. This also happens going down the hill in the morning - not under load or strain on the clutch.. Im a electrician with a bit of weight in the tray (approx 500KG) After a few minutes of driving around it goes away... Car is still under warranty but Toyota says if they pull it apart and there is no issue, its my cost. I do tow occasional loads of 2-2.2 tonne and maybe the clutch has a wear point or something?
stevman87

Re: Cold Clutch Shudder

Postby Locknut on Thu, 16 Jun 2016 7:52 +0000

G'dy mate

I too have the same problem and have been noticing it a lot more in the colder months. It happens every time the engine is cold and gradually goes away once the engine has warmed up. I don't tow anything, only a little off-road. I really have to ride the clutch to stop it happening as it's like I haven't given it enough gas. I've only had the car 1 year but it's done it since I got it. In the last 12 months I've had the valve clearance check done. I change the fuel filter and clean the MAP/MAF every 10k.

I haven't had the clutch looked at yet and the timing bent is due at 150k. Anyone have any ideas?
Locknut

Postby stevman87 on Thu, 16 Jun 2016 5:19 +0000

True, i have had a few people mention this around sites.. I too have to ride the clutch to stop it from happening.. i have been told that if Toyota / mechnaics service your vehicle that sometimes they dont drain the remaining clutch fluid before supplying new fluid and the oils react causing this issue to happen? :roll:
stevman87

Postby Locknut on Fri, 17 Jun 2016 5:14 +0000

Yeah ok, I replaced the brake/clutch fluid about 7 months ago when I had the brake lines extended but I didn't notice any change unfortunately. It's got another 10k to go before the timing belt needs to be done so I'll get the mecahanic to have a look at it then. If there's any developments I'll let you know. Surely there's someone else on here that's had the same problem that's found a fix?
Locknut

Postby Locknut on Sat, 17 Sep 2016 5:51 +0000

I know it's an old thread, but just an update. Shuddering is a fairly common indication of hot spots on the clutch and it needs replacing. I had mine replaced last week and no more shuddering :D
Locknut

Postby Gipsy on Sat, 17 Sep 2016 6:07 +0000

Locknut, good idea to machine the flywheel too cos they get hot spots too, and since you are in there you may as well do it too... maybe next time?
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Return to General Discussion