I have rhino racks on the cab and rhino pioneer platform on the canopy
davisbenham

Re: Gen 8 roof racks

Postby MrTimms on Tue, 14 Jun 2016 7:23 +0000

I have the genuine bars
MrTimms

Postby anthonypham67 on Thu, 16 Jun 2016 11:00 +0000

A question for those who have genuine bars fitted. Did Toyota fit a clear plastic film under the foot clamps to prevent damage to the paint work like they did on previous models?
anthonypham67

Postby telliscope on Fri, 17 Jun 2016 5:52 +0000

anthonypham67 wrote:A question for those who have genuine bars fitted. Did Toyota fit a clear plastic film under the foot clamps to prevent damage to the paint work like they did on previous models?

No plastic film, there is a foam type material under the foot clamps
REDHEAD AND STOCKTON BEACH TRIP - Youtube https://youtu.be/WbNIu4Zx-eA

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfnkVp ... Heu1_Xd34w
telliscope

Postby sugaris on Fri, 17 Jun 2016 9:23 +0000

Telliscope... what Bar did you put on?? I can only see a little of the corner above the headlight... :D

Sorry: It's MrTimms lux with the bar on it. What bar is that mate?
sugaris

Postby MrTimms on Sun, 19 Jun 2016 7:46 +0000

sugaris wrote:Telliscope... what Bar did you put on?? I can only see a little of the corner above the headlight... :D

Sorry: It's MrTimms lux with the bar on it. What bar is that mate?

It's the Genuine Alloy bar.
MrTimms

Postby JFlacky on Fri, 09 Jun 2017 2:14 +0000

Digging up an old thread here but does anybody know if these Gen 8 OEM roof racks will fit a Gen 7 (I have a 2005)?

Cheers,

Flacky
JFlacky

Postby adamkberger on Sat, 10 Jun 2017 4:19 +0000

The genuine bars look like they're made by Rhino-Rack. I have a bar from the earlier model and it fits my current model so I would think it should work the other way round. Between the two models, the only difference in the kits is the rubber pads.
2015 SR5 2.8 Dual Cab Hilux
adamkberger

Postby TOYZX on Sat, 10 Jun 2017 6:38 +0000

Think it depends on the rack itself. When the new model first came out rhino rack sent us a kit for the old model assuming it wpuld fit and it didnt. The track you need to rivet into the roof is different, the recess in the roof on the new model is narrower.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby JFlacky on Sat, 10 Jun 2017 4:55 +0000

These are the racks in question. Not gutter mount so could I be safe to say they'd fit ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JFlacky

Postby adamkberger on Sun, 11 Jun 2017 5:28 +0000

Here's a picture of the old style racks on the new Hilux. Compare to what you have and go from there.
adamkberger

Postby adamkberger on Tue, 13 Jun 2017 2:37 +0000

I saw the mounts for the 2015+ Hilux today. Basically the clamp is better contoured for the new model and the rubber pads are angled to the roof line. There is a front and back mount which are different and makes the bars sit level in those locations. The current mount that I have, can be moved forward but it starts to angle downwards. I'm getting the track mount now and a pioneer platform. I will post photos when I get them.
adamkberger

Postby JFlacky on Tue, 13 Jun 2017 5:18 +0000

adamkberger wrote:. I'm getting the track mount now and a pioneer platform. I will post photos when I get them.

This is the road I want to take - but $$$

JFlacky

Postby adamkberger on Sun, 25 Jun 2017 12:37 +0000

I finally got my pioneer platform and roof rails. I spent a bit of time at Opposite Lock working out the best options for levelling between the canopy and roof. Mine is a genuine Toyota (EGR) canopy so if you have another brand, the mounts required may differ. I'll start with the Pioneer platform. If you have the same canopy, you will need the internal support kit from Toyota. After lots of measuring, I chose the 42100B which is 1528x1236mm. Any wider on the EGR canopy and the lift up side glass will hit. The original bars are similar to a Rhino Rack Vortex but unfortunately, the fixings that come with are not compatible with the bars on the Pioneer platform. I ended up purchasing 2 sets of EGR-HD kits from Rhino Rack which allow the platform to bolt straight on to the EGR posts.

The next part is the Rhino Rack roof rails RTS543. Fairly easy to mount and very good instructions. It said not to use a hand riveter, so I purchased a rivet attachment from Total Tools that goes in your drill. Now that is a great piece of kit! The legs I chose for my application are the RLTP type and are extremely low profile. I'm waiting of the vortex adaptors and the wedges for these feet. I put the 3m straight edge on and its very close to level at the moment but I'll wait for the adaptors and wedges before looking at spacers. I would have preferred the quick release legs, but they would have been too high.

adamkberger

Postby Deuscartel on Sun, 25 Jun 2017 5:37 +0000

Nice tip with the drill bit. My hassle was installing the tracks and drilling into the roof. As per instructions (use a depth gauge) I made a drill bit depth gauge by drilling through some dowel... 3rd hole in and bang, split the dowel and the full 100mm drill bit went in. I seriously felt like I had kick myself in the nads! Was so lucky, no damage to the roof liner. I made a dowel for each hole after that, and disposed of them after each hole.

Anyway here are some pics, went with the rhinorack backbone, I also had the roof vinyl wrapped, as I scratched the crap out of the roof on my last hilux when tying stuff down, mainly lengths of timber for work.

I just need to get some spacers for the genuine racks on the canopy to level it out.

Deuscartel

Postby heavymental on Wed, 28 Jun 2017 9:22 +0000

adamkberger wrote:I finally got my pioneer platform and roof rails. I spent a bit of time at Opposite Lock working out the best options for levelling between the canopy and roof. Mine is a genuine Toyota (EGR) canopy so if you have another brand, the mounts required may differ. I'll start with the Pioneer platform. If you have the same canopy, you will need the internal support kit from Toyota. After lots of measuring, I chose the 42100B which is 1528x1236mm. Any wider on the EGR canopy and the lift up side glass will hit. The original bars are similar to a Rhino Rack Vortex but unfortunately, the fixings that come with are not compatible with the bars on the Pioneer platform. I ended up purchasing 2 sets of EGR-HD kits from Rhino Rack which allow the platform to bolt straight on to the EGR posts.

The next part is the Rhino Rack roof rails RTS543. Fairly easy to mount and very good instructions. It said not to use a hand riveter, so I purchased a rivet attachment from Total Tools that goes in your drill. Now that is a great piece of kit! The legs I chose for my application are the RLTP type and are extremely low profile. I'm waiting of the vortex adaptors and the wedges for these feet. I put the 3m straight edge on and its very close to level at the moment but I'll wait for the adaptors and wedges before looking at spacers. I would have preferred the quick release legs, but they would have been too high.

Any pics of the inside of the tub? I can't decide whether to have the platfrom on the cab or canopy. Also have the genuine canopy on mine.
heavymental

Postby Deuscartel on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 7:09 +0000

heavymental wrote:
adamkberger wrote:I finally got my pioneer platform and roof rails. I spent a bit of time at Opposite Lock working out the best options for levelling between the canopy and roof. Mine is a genuine Toyota (EGR) canopy so if you have another brand, the mounts required may differ. I'll start with the Pioneer platform. If you have the same canopy, you will need the internal support kit from Toyota. After lots of measuring, I chose the 42100B which is 1528x1236mm. Any wider on the EGR canopy and the lift up side glass will hit. The original bars are similar to a Rhino Rack Vortex but unfortunately, the fixings that come with are not compatible with the bars on the Pioneer platform. I ended up purchasing 2 sets of EGR-HD kits from Rhino Rack which allow the platform to bolt straight on to the EGR posts.

Any pics of the inside of the tub? I can't decide whether to have the platfrom on the cab or canopy. Also have the genuine canopy on mine.

Here is mine. Genuine canopy, genuine toyota roof racks on canopy.

The holes on the sides are from the genuine hard tonneau that I removed.

Deuscartel

Postby Bschotty on Sun, 09 Jul 2017 7:27 +0000

Good pics thanks guys.
I'll be doing the exact same set up in a few weeks but on the aeroklas. Platform on the canopy and two bars on the cab. Nice to get an idea of what's involved. Was quoted $360 to install so figured I'd do it myself! Doesn't look too bad, I'll go pick up that rivet attachment before I start!
Bschotty

Next

Return to General Discussion