Gen 8 hilux issues?

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Re: New 2016 hilux issues?

Postby Inpowers on Sat, 13 May 2017 5:09 +0000

Its a bit of a let down if I have to do a routine every time I need to turn the Hilux off.
I should have stuck with the Manual shift.
My old Hilux i a better car at the moment.

Any ideas on the second problem from above?

Rob
Inpowers

Postby Festus Magnus on Sun, 14 May 2017 11:54 +0000

Inpowers wrote:Its a bit of a let down if I have to do a routine every time I need to turn the Hilux off.

Rob

Your first problem seems an awful lot like the tailshaft issue that others are reporting, i.e. it's a factory machining issue that requires a replacement in order to solve. However, I thought newer (i.e. 2017 manufactured) Hiluxes had the corrected tailshafts straight from the factory. I've got a March 2017 model and I certainly don't experience anything related to a thud/rocking anytime I'm parked and take my foot off the brake pedal.

Re: your second problem, I'm afraid I can't say that I've experienced anything similar to that. But then again the Sydney roads that I drive on usually tend to be so bad that I probably wouldn't even notice!
Festus Magnus

Postby Beta on Mon, 15 May 2017 9:26 +0000

Festus Magnus wrote:
Inpowers wrote:Its a bit of a let down if I have to do a routine every time I need to turn the Hilux off.

Rob

Your first problem seems an awful lot like the tailshaft issue that others are reporting, i.e. it's a factory machining issue that requires a replacement in order to solve. However, I thought newer (i.e. 2017 manufactured) Hiluxes had the corrected tailshafts straight from the factory. I've got a March 2017 model and I certainly don't experience anything related to a thud/rocking anytime I'm parked and take my foot off the brake pedal.

Re: your second problem, I'm afraid I can't say that I've experienced anything similar to that. But then again the Sydney roads that I drive on usually tend to be so bad that I probably wouldn't even notice!

the replacement tailshaft doesn't fix the problem, after another 5-10,000km's it comes back, when my service manager experienced he said there is no further fix...........
Beta

Postby hywellvdp on Mon, 15 May 2017 1:08 +0000

Beta wrote:
Festus Magnus wrote:

Rob

the replacement tailshaft doesn't fix the problem, after another 5-10,000km's it comes back, when my service manager experienced he said there is no further fix...........

My tailshaft was replaced at 15,000km with the new one and has been fine ever since. 42,000km to date.
hywellvdp

Postby Inpowers on Mon, 15 May 2017 4:09 +0000

Hi Guys

Thanks for the reply's tail shaft not sure how this effect the jump forward and reverse.
I thought it would be more of a transmission adjustment.

As for the 2nd issue the M4 Highway section that I was driving on is pretty smooth as on my old Hilux I don't notice that noise at all.

Regards
Rob
Inpowers

Postby Inpowers on Thu, 18 May 2017 4:03 +0000

Inpowers wrote:Hi Guys
I have just purchase a new Toyota Hilux SR5 2017 model auto.
I have only done about 500k and had it in for its first free service.
The problems that I am have are
1. Hilux rocks forward harshly after releasing footbrake when Hilux is in "Park" gear with handbrake up?
Also does this in reverse.
2. I was using the cruise control on this issue and was travel at 100kph 1500rpm's.
When suddenly the car sounded like it was driving over those bumps on the side of the road to wake you up if your about to drive off the road. At first I thought it was the road but it did it again about 10 minutes later.
This noise went on for about 30 seconds and then slowly disappeared the revs did in crease to 2000rmps then back to 1500rmps it did this on a flat road no hills.
The service depart told me this is normal (bull shit) it did scare the shit out of me.
Does anyone else have this with the same model?
Any advice will be greatfull.

Thanks for feed back.
Robert

I have an update
I took the Hilux back to Toyota today and they are telling me that the jump forward and reverse is due to the GVM upgrade that was performed.
What a load of rubbish.
And the second item they tell me they need the car for a full day which I did leave it for a day.
They have no idea.

Regards
Inpowers

Postby iller on Fri, 19 May 2017 2:09 +0000

Inpowers wrote:
Inpowers wrote:Hi Guys
I have just purchase a new Toyota Hilux SR5 2017 model auto.
I have only done about 500k and had it in for its first free service.
The problems that I am have are
1. Hilux rocks forward harshly after releasing footbrake when Hilux is in "Park" gear with handbrake up?
Also does this in reverse.
2. I was using the cruise control on this issue and was travel at 100kph 1500rpm's.
When suddenly the car sounded like it was driving over those bumps on the side of the road to wake you up if your about to drive off the road. At first I thought it was the road but it did it again about 10 minutes later.
This noise went on for about 30 seconds and then slowly disappeared the revs did in crease to 2000rmps then back to 1500rmps it did this on a flat road no hills.
The service depart told me this is normal (bull shit) it did scare the shit out of me.
Does anyone else have this with the same model?
Any advice will be greatfull.

Thanks for feed back.
Robert

I have an update
I took the Hilux back to Toyota today and they are telling me that the jump forward and reverse is due to the GVM upgrade that was performed.
What a load of rubbish.
And the second item they tell me they need the car for a full day which I did leave it for a day.
They have no idea.

Regards

Second issue is the dpf burnof, it can happen like that aswell as a longer burn. So it's normal. If you got a diesel that is.
iller

Postby Festus Magnus on Fri, 19 May 2017 3:22 +0000

iller wrote:Second issue is the dpf burnof, it can happen like that aswell as a longer burn. So it's normal. If you got a diesel that is.

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines too. But he also mentioned the strange noise. It could plausibly be the DPF if it's the case that he might be just interpreting the engine sound?

However, I have to say that I haven't heard my DPF make any sound like that. I hear it as more of an expected change in engine tune, noticeable, but not particularly intrusive.
Festus Magnus

Postby Inpowers on Sat, 20 May 2017 3:25 +0000

Hi Guys

Thanks for the update
DPF Burn off you say.
I will have to keep an eye on that.
But as said before it is quite load.

Thanks
Regards
Inpowers

Postby Jamesyjums on Sat, 27 May 2017 12:00 +0000

Had my hilux on for its 10k service thought I would get them to adjust the hard lid as it was really hard to close, you had to push down on each side to get it to lock in, when I picked it up tried it and thought sweet, as I was walking away from it at home didn't hear it lock when I locked the car, tried it several times, central locking for the hard lid shagged, thought no worries I'll use the key no good either jiggle the handle and it pops open, took it back to Toyota to be told the central locking mech is knackered, although worked fine before the apprentice adjusted the lid!, none in stock of course so book it in a few weeks later to be fixed when I pick it up I'm told that there is a fault or update on the hard lid and they call me in a few days to bring it in again, that was a week ago! Like the car but little things like that make me fairly cranky.
Jamesyjums

Postby Festus Magnus on Sat, 27 May 2017 7:47 +0000

Jamesyjums wrote:Had my hilux on for its 10k service thought I would get them to adjust the hard lid .

A couple of fellas have posted on here with their own issues related to the locking mechanism of the hard lid. Third party product (with a Toyota label), nasty and cheap locking mechanism. Not sure if Toyota (or rather, their supplier) have come to the table with a more permanent fix yet.
Festus Magnus

Postby Laverty on Wed, 09 Aug 2017 8:14 +0000

Dare007 wrote:
Inpowers wrote:1. Hilux rocks forward harshly after releasing footbrake when Hilux is in "Park" gear with handbrake up?

Yes I've noticed that my 3 week old SR5 does this. Not sure if it's normal.

Our SR is just hit 500km and also does this. Makes a pretty loud noise when engaging reverse on occasions too...

Will be something I'll be bringing up on the 1000km service.
Laverty

Postby iller on Wed, 09 Aug 2017 9:15 +0000

Laverty wrote:
Dare007 wrote:
Inpowers wrote:1. Hilux rocks forward harshly after releasing footbrake when Hilux is in "Park" gear with handbrake up?

Yes I've noticed that my 3 week old SR5 does this. Not sure if it's normal.

Our SR is just hit 500km and also does this. Makes a pretty loud noise when engaging reverse on occasions too...

Will be something I'll be bringing up on the 1000km service.

When parking put it in neutral first, pull handbrake, release breakpedal, push breakpedal again and move it to park and this goes away. This is actually how should put a auto in park to my knowledge. Will get rid of both the sound and the rocking.
iller

Postby hayst on Sun, 13 Aug 2017 5:57 +0000

!9000 kms SR5 auto with Toyota canopy, liner and toolbox plus tow pack, occasionally hear the clunk when cold, haven't noticed burn-off, $50 for fuel from Ararat vic to Hay NSW (via Mitiamo) towing a trailer in power mode.
Have added console tray and mats for cupholders/slots, and central locking to tailgate...would gladly drive a knife through the arsehole that decided DRLs should stay on all the time.

This morning I shall add Toyota torsion bar to tailgate, after which will be spare battery, more lights, and underbody plates.
hayst

Postby hayst on Sun, 13 Aug 2017 11:33 +0000

Update on Toyota torsion bar lift for tailgate.

Works well, but be aware that the instructions are written by an Asian fellow with hands the size of a small lemur...he also seemed to have used an online translation app for the instructions.

The unit was worth the effort though, and looks right for the vehicle.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LABOR-SAVING ... 2749.l2649

hayst

2017 Hilux Diesel Double cab, any problems?

Postby Markdavo on Thu, 12 Apr 2018 6:36 +0000

I'm looking for a 2017 Hilux Diesel Double cab (undecided between cab chassis and ute) and wonder if owners have found any problems in any aspect of the vehicle?

Thanks
Markdavo

Re: 2017 Hilux Diesel Double cab, any problems?

Postby creaky on Thu, 12 Apr 2018 11:26 +0000

creaky

Re: 2017 Hilux Diesel Double cab, any problems?

Postby Markdavo on Thu, 12 Apr 2018 6:43 +0000

Thanks for that link.
Markdavo

Postby DeadlyBeast on Thu, 12 Apr 2018 8:34 +0000

Thanks creaky
Threads merged - title edited to reflect issues for all gen 8 years
Does anyone know if there is anything they have fixed for 2017 gen 8 models?
DeadlyBeast

Re: Gen 8 hilux issues?

Postby doug.mead.31 on Thu, 21 May 2020 9:17 +0000

Hi We just brought a Hilux 2019 sr5 but I don't seem to be able to turn on TSS Toyota safety system can any Body help
doug.mead.31

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion