Set-up options for driving conditions

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Set-up options for driving conditions

Postby carltunstall on Thu, 21 Apr 2016 8:52 +0000

Hi,
With all the technical wizardry available on the new SR5 Diesel Auto, selecting the optimum stock drive set-up for different driving conditions can be pretty confusing. When we throw in weight, suspension set-up, personal driving preference etc. the number of set-up combinations are huge. But perhaps you can help me with a ‘rule-of-thumb’ set-up guide?

Here are the drive options:
1. DAC = On (Y/N)
2. Traction = On (Y/N)
3. 4x4 = Engaged (Y/N)
4. Low Range = Engaged (Y/N)
5. Diff Lock = On (Y/N)
6. ‘D’ = Selected (Y/N)
7. ‘S’ = Selected (Y/N)
8. ‘S’ = # (n/a; 1;2;3;4)

Here are the drive conditions:
1. Mud
(a) Track
(b) Downhill
(c) Uphill

2. Sand
(a) Track
(b) Downhill
(c) Uphill

3. Rock
(a) Track
(b) Downhill
(c) Uphill

Example: Sand Downhill (not saying this is right)
2 (b) = (1= Y; 2= Y; 3= Y; 4= Y; 5= Y; 6= N; 7= Y; 8= 2)

Interested to hear what your setup would be?
carltunstall

Re: Set-up options for driving conditions

Postby heavymental on Thu, 21 Apr 2016 9:08 +0000

Been on the dunes a bit and have yet to use low range :). sr5 does it too easy in just 4x4hi. rest is good.

I also believe that when you engage 4x4 lo the traction and stability is off automatically. with 4x4hi the traction is still on by default but can be switched off.

that was my understanding.
heavymental

Re: Set-up options for driving conditions

Postby carltunstall on Fri, 22 Apr 2016 10:35 +0000

Thanks heavymental,
Yes I have done a bit of beach driving up at Delicate Nobby (NSW) and a few trips to the dunes on Stockton in the Lux, as well as Fraser in the old Jeep.

Generaly I use low range in soft sand, especially if I get bogged. In high range engine roars, revs climb and the wheels barely move. Meanwhile theres slippage and heat transfer going on through the automatic gearbox which can't be good - Personal opinion..... But also enjoy smashing steepies in Hi 8-)

On a not unrelated topic - At one stage I did think about fitting a Torque Converter Lockup Switch to assist engine breaking heading down steep hills. But since tested the manual select in the Lux and happily the gears stay locked in - so good news.

- 4x4 lo the traction control is off automatically in the Hilux - Thanks never noticed :)
- 4x4hi the traction is on by default - Its not a good idea to have traction on on soft sand, it doesn't really give you any better traction and plus the traction control light will flash like billiho. Also the doomsters will tell you the constant activation will quickly wear out the brake actuators and pads as well as transmiting shock through the drivetrain which again can't be good.

So on sand would you say you are a:
2 (a) = (1= N; 2= N; 3= Y; 4= N; 5= N; 6= Y; N= Y; 8= n/a)?
carltunstall

Return to General Discussion