Over Heating Issue

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Over Heating Issue

Postby sahrahilux07 on Tue, 29 Mar 2016 1:23 +0000

Hi All,

Apologies if this post is ordinary.
This is Technically my first post since my introduction post a few months ago.

I've tried to read a couple of posts in regards to over heating issues.
However, i feel like i can't relate fully to whats being said.

I've owned my hilux for around about 2 Years now (2007 model)
and its only fairly recently i've been finding that i have over heating issues.
Its not Technically over heating on a day to day basis, However, after reading through a few posts on here i'm abit more concerned then i was before.

I'm finding during normal highway driving ( between 100-110km) my A/C does cut out. And it stays off untill i reduce speed to about 80kms which then it obviously gets the chance to cool down.

Other times I've been travelling up hill without load and I've had to slow right back because my Temp starts to creep up.
I don't go full throttle up hill either before you question that. I'll happily sit on about 60-70kms going up hill in 3rd or 4th gear depending on the incline and whether i can hear the Luxy struggling or not.

This long weekend just gone did it for me and now i'm more concerned then ever.
I've recently bought a new camper trailer and took it out for the long weekend. I headed to a local place in Lithgow for a camping trip. The roads to and from Lithgow aren't considered to bad hill wise, I've done the trip Previously and i thought just in case i'll purchase two 10" Thermo fans and install them on the radiator to help.

The Whole way up to the camp site even the slightest inclines i had to slow back to 40kms and below because the Lux was getting to hot. On the way back there's a Large Incline Sydney siders will know what i'm talking about(Mt Victoria) I chose to stay in 2nd gear and putt along in the slow lane, However this wasn't enough i actually had to stop half way up and wait for the temp to go down before continuing to the top. Once at the top i had to stop again because the temps sky rocketed again. Its almost like the Thermo fans didn't even help the slightest. On the plus side my EXT temps stayed below 400 the whole trip.

I've done basic changes and want a bit more advise before i start spending large amounts of money. I'm hoping that someone else has been in the same situation.

So far i've replaced the Radiator Cap and drained the coolant and ran the cleaner though the cooling system, installed 3 Thermo fans (one on the intercooler and 2 on the radiator)

I'm concerned that i haven't bled the cooling system properly and from what I've read this can cause a large issue.
I drained the coolant from the bottom of the radiator and re-filled the coolant from the bottle on the side of the radiator. i ran the car and when the coolant dropped i'd top up the coolant until it didn't need topping up anymore.

I'm hoping with the information I've provided that this does assist slightly in troubleshooting with me.
I just want some information to work off before i head to the mechanics because i don't want to be taken for a ride once i get there.

My Partner seems to think that my Viscus hub may be faulty and i should replace that or i should organise to get a compression test done. I don't believe the head gasket is gone in the vehicle because the oils not milky, there's no oil in the coolant, i cant see bubbles in the coolant bottle either.

Hopefully someone can give me some insight.

Thank you in advance :D :D
sahrahilux07

Re: Over Heating Issue

Postby martynvella on Tue, 29 Mar 2016 1:47 +0000

There are a few things that spring to mind, could be the thermostat not opening fully or stuck, does it seem to warm up in the mornings at the same speed or does it take longer to reach op temp? Feel the hoses, the large radiator hoses shouldn't really warm up gradually, the smaller hoses in the heater circuit should be hot before the large hoses and radiator get flow.

Your partner is correct, it could well be the viscous hub needing topping up or replacing.

The radiator could be partially blocked if incompatible coolants have been mixed.
martynvella

Postby martynvella on Tue, 29 Mar 2016 1:50 +0000

forgot one, make sure the radiator isn't blocked up with mud and bugs and stuff preventing airflow through it.
martynvella

Postby sahrahilux07 on Tue, 29 Mar 2016 1:52 +0000

My partner drives a Navara and it takes half the time the Navara does to heat up in the morning.

I might look into the Viscious hub more so then i have a feeling that this could be the issue.

In regards to coolant I've kept the same pink coloured coolant which the car had when i bought it. It didnt look like the previous owner changed it out for a long long time though it was almost clear. i'd say he didn't maintain it to well.

And yes! in regards to the radiator itself i ensure after every trip i give the radiator a good clean.
Honestly you could eat off it haha thats how clean it is!!
sahrahilux07

Postby LocalFart on Tue, 29 Mar 2016 3:04 +0000

Could be as simple as the thermostat isn't opening enough... try a new one? they aren't expensive. or could even do with an air pocket in the system?
LocalFart

Postby mitch_893 on Tue, 29 Mar 2016 3:58 +0000

http://www.moranbahweather.com/toyota/h ... 7000x.html

Refer to that link in regards to bleeding. If you didn't remove that vent plug you probably have an air lock.

If you rev the car a bit on a cold start does the fan sound like it's working a lot harder? Should slow down after 30 seconds or so.
Have you got a bullbar with lights etc on the front?
What size tyres are you running?

Is it even overheating, as in, what makes you think it is? Sounds as though you have a seperate gauge, but what readings are you getting? What's the factory gauge doing?
06' D4D dual cab SR
Build thread

Cheers!
mitch_893

Postby deffer64 on Tue, 29 Mar 2016 4:05 +0000

To check viscous hub warm up car to operating temp then lift bonnet with motor still running and get someone to switch off engine and watch fan if it stops straight away or continues to spin if motor is hot it should stop instant motor is off hope this helps.
deffer64

Postby sahrahilux07 on Tue, 29 Mar 2016 6:28 +0000

Cheers mitch might try that this weekend. By the looks of things ive definitely done it the wrong way.

Ive currently got a bullbar with a lightbar mounted on the hoops sitting on top. I know theres a chance that could restrict airflow but ive tried to compensate by installing the thermo fans.
I have a aftermarket boost and ext guage but not water temperature. That'll probably be my next investment l.
I currently have 32" tyres on the vehicle. To be fair i never tested it out when i had my 31s on to see if there was a significant difference.

The standard temp guage on the cluster has near reached in the red on a few seperate occasions.
I know its standard for any car to get hot but not that significantly hot where its becoming a nuance to drive.

I cant even go out and check right now because my alternator gave out over the long weekend. But once ive swapped that out in the next coming days ill give that a crack and see what it is.

Thanks for that link to that should come in handy
sahrahilux07

Postby PRS on Wed, 30 Mar 2016 8:34 +0000

Your radiator has blocked tubes internally. Get it cleaned out or buy a new one. The plastic top tank will be getting a bit long in the tooth anyway.
PRS

Postby Mrmal on Thu, 31 Mar 2016 10:45 +0000

Some simple checks:

1 Viscous clutch - with a rolled up news paper engage the fan blade tips - if it doesn't stall with moderate force applied via the news paper - its probably good
2 Thermostat - check for gradual heating of the top pipe as stated
3 Water pump - with bleed bung removed check that you can see coolant flowing over the core when the top hose goes hot
4 If you see big fluctuations from hot to cool or no real drop in temperature when you back off that is an good indicator of air trapped in the system. With the system cool I have found that getting air out of the cooling system is to remove the top house and back fill the engine through it (not sure if it is right way but it worked for me)

I have had this issue on two of my hiluxes - both were air issues after radiator or engine replacement.

Best of luck

Mal
Mrmal

Postby sahrahilux07 on Fri, 01 Apr 2016 8:59 +0000

thanks Mal defiantly going to give that a try this afternoon :)
sahrahilux07

Postby Mattyazza on Sat, 02 Apr 2016 7:58 +0000

Exact symptoms I had including the alternator shitting itself. You've gone through a watery-muddy bog?
Fine mud bakes in between the radiator and aircon. Clean as much as you like but unless you pull out the radiator and clean it will never come good.
Mattyazza

Postby sahrahilux07 on Tue, 05 Apr 2016 2:11 +0000

yeah over the weekend, however the overheating issue has been constant.
I'm always on top of the mud issue if i cant avoid the mud completely i'll sit there and rinse it all out once i get home.
If i was to put a hose to my radiator now it would come out clear.
sahrahilux07

Postby LocalFart on Tue, 05 Apr 2016 2:20 +0000

Sahra,

Try the earlier suggestions of removing air pockets and double checking the thermostat...

Do you notice that you loose alot of coolant if any?
LocalFart

Postby snakesoup on Thu, 05 May 2016 4:20 +0000

hi guys , a little bit of a curve ball here but hoping to get some ideas for my old man, he has a 89 model Nissan d21 2wd 2.5 diesel ute, great little rig too, but he is concerned as his temp gauge has always sat just under half, but now it seems to sit just over half and it's doing his head in as to why ?? has flushed the cooling system and tells me the thermostat is operating as should Be and water pump is flowing well, only thing I can think if is maybe an airlock, but he tells me it doesn't have a bleed screw, only bleed through the cap etc, any of you guys git any ideas ?.
cheers in advance .... snake

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
snakesoup

Postby TOYZX on Thu, 05 May 2016 4:37 +0000

Pull the radiator out and give a good clean. Usually the bottom third will be fully blocked.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby hylux on Thu, 05 May 2016 5:13 +0000

snakesoup wrote:hi guys , a little bit of a curve ball here but hoping to get some ideas for my old man, he has a 89 model Nissan d21 2wd 2.5 diesel ute, great little rig too, but he is concerned as his temp gauge has always sat just under half, but now it seems to sit just over half and it's doing his head in as to why ?? has flushed the cooling system and tells me the thermostat is operating as should Be and water pump is flowing well, only thing I can think if is maybe an airlock, but he tells me it doesn't have a bleed screw, only bleed through the cap etc, any of you guys git any ideas ?.
cheers in advance .... snake

Nissan ute that age might be worth checking the electrical plugs and connections in the engine bay for corrosion. A bad connection could be putting a resistance to the guage. Simple no cost try anyway
I love hybrid cars - means more fuel for me
hylux

Postby snakesoup on Thu, 05 May 2016 5:22 +0000

good tips guys

snakesoup

Postby snakesoup on Thu, 05 May 2016 5:26 +0000

I'll let him know

snakesoup

Postby jplozza on Thu, 12 May 2016 11:27 +0000

Your Ute is an 07 an there for nearly 10 years old. Therefore it is almost certain some things need replacing.

It is hard to pinpoint any one thing in a cooling system that is the problem and if every thing is original it is more likely a combination of things adding up and contributing to varying degrees. Note that if you replace only one thing you may get a good result but you are likely only fixing part of the cooling system.

I suggest that you do the following and if you do them all then you will be confident you wont have to do any thing for another 100 thousand km or more.; But before you do them rule out an air blockage by beading the system as suggested by others. I don't think it likely as blockages usually fix them selves over a short period of time especially if you have been off road the bumping and rocking usually moves the trapped air to the radiator.

Starting with the cheapest to most expensive and check the results after each until you are satisfied.
Steel your self for a radiator replacement as it is likely it is blocked to some extend or another and may be the biggest issue but not the only one.

1. Replace the thermostat (cheep and reasonably easy to replace)
2. Top up the viscus clutch oil or replace the clutch (this is almost certainly needed given the age of the Ute and in my opinion the most likely contributor to cooling issues. if the clutch is gone then the Ute will be guaranteed to over heat as your is.
3. Replace the coolant with good high quality coolant.
4. Check if the water pump has been replace. if not check if it is leaking around the input shaft. Replace if there is any sight of a leak (the original pumps reliably leak between 80 and 150 thousand km)
5. Replace the radiator. Given the age of our Ute the radiator is likely to have some blockage but may be significantly blocked. But leave it to last as the cost is significant compared to the viscus clutch and thermostat.. You can have them reconditioned but the cost is nearly the same as a new radiator.

The least likely issue in my opinion is the thermostat but as it is cheep replace it.

Over time the clutch will deteriorate and the radiator will slowly block. This is almost a certainty and as each deteriorates the effect is compounded by the other
jplozza

Next

Return to General Discussion