kut snake flares

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

kut snake flares

Postby timboandbailey on Fri, 04 Mar 2016 3:54 +0000

Just an honest review for those thinking of running kut snake flares....dont bother....

Admittedly still have them on and do like the look and simply dont wanna throw away 400 bucks but their quality control is completely shit which is a shame as i really liked the look

Straight out of the wrapping and they almost look like 2 different molds were used...trimming looks like it was done by my kid as the inside front section looks very different from each other....mostly hidden by the bullbar but not the point when ya pay that kind of money for plastic....

To top it off the driver side flare was a good 25mm shorter in length then the other....obviously put thst on first to be able to match the other side evenly with distance from the door to the flare....came close but still protrudes forward 15mm from the inside mud guard coming to close to my tyres now

Called up the distributor and ll i got was...strange never had that happen yo me....what a joke not even ask for photos or offer options....almost seemed to busy on the phone to deal with me

Like i said not the most exp we nsive out there but definitely not the cheapest. ...when theres so many options out there these days to not have quality control that guarantees fitment out of the box with of couse a bit of tolerance as nothing in this world is perfect is just a waste of everyones time and the mmanufacturers time

Good luck kut snake....ya gonna need it....again no afilliation in the industry just someone who gives an honest review on a purchase without influence from the supplier trying damage control
timboandbailey

Re: kut snake flares

Postby Richolux150 on Sat, 05 Mar 2016 8:17 +0000

Any Pics of the flares T&B...... ;) ;) ;)
Cheers Richo
If cat turds were Gold nuggets, I'd be the richest bloke on the block... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Richolux150

Postby Tzanisisananus on Thu, 08 Dec 2016 2:55 +0000

Hey Tim.
Can you remember who the distributor was?
Location?
Tzanisisananus

Postby rds_929 on Thu, 08 Dec 2016 6:12 +0000

some pics would be ace
rds_929

Postby Spiritlevel on Tue, 19 Dec 2023 11:19 +0000

After stumbling across this post while googling, I had to join to add my experience thats happening right now. I can't believe after all these years Kut Snake is still selling this pathetic crap.

I bought my new truck in '17 and got it fitted with a heap of accessories before I actaully picked it up, one of them being a set of std Kut Snake flares. So I never saw the flare before they were fitted, they look good and haven't really had any problems with them other than a few mounting holes have cracked.
Past several mths started buying better bits, 6 mths ago, a full set of Kut Snake monster flares. I have coated the inside mounting holes with fiberglass.

After reading this post I had a good look at them and OMG. It's just like what timboandbailey said, it's like they are from different moulds. The front pair are worse than the back pair. one is longer than th other, it looks like they were trimmed by a child, one of the ends is not even close to being the same as its other side end, the back flare with the fuel filler cap section has a flatish top, while the other 3 are rounded.

I had planned to fit all four the past weekend, spent more of that time just on the front pair, trying to get them matching each other. had to cut about 5mm off the front side of one and about the same on the back side of the other to get them at least a bit close to being level with the body.

I then compaired the old with the new and again, they are different from each other too, completly different 'foot print'

How is it that you have been selling this crap for so long.

I have a heap of pics but can't see how to add them.
Spiritlevel

Postby Spiritlevel on Sun, 24 Dec 2023 10:21 +0000

Part 2. This weekend I went to fit the rear Kut Snake monster flares. After removing the left side std flare with the fuel cap door I compaired the 2 togeather. Again like the fronts different footprints. 1 thing very noticable was the monster flare ends needed to be pushed out about 100mm. Using a couple clamps and a lot of strong tape I dummy fitted it in position and then I stopped. Another crap fit. This is the one with the flatter, squarer top, a big difference compaired to the other 3. The width of the mounting holes to the body are different. It doesn't fit evenly around the fuel cap door. The biggest problem however is at the top of the wheel arch where the lower part of the flare shoud fit under nicely, there is just under a 40mm gap, WTF...
I have spent thousands of dollars to basicly get a bigger gap between the top of the wheels and wheel arches and I'll be damned if I'm going to put these crap flares on and have that gap reduced by 40mm.

Thanks Kut Snake for these useless pieces of plastic
Spiritlevel

Postby dave g on Tue, 26 Dec 2023 6:35 +0000

You should have sent them back for refund !!!
Not f around with them.
dave g

Postby Spiritlevel on Thu, 28 Dec 2023 8:22 +0000

dave g wrote:You should have sent them back for refund !!!
Not f around with them.

I coudn't return them, as I said it had been about 6mths since I bought them and I had modified them by coating the back of the mounting holes with fibreglass. Not mentioned was that I had also coated the screw heads and washers with red resin to match the truck paint job.
Spiritlevel

Postby Spiritlevel on Thu, 28 Dec 2023 10:33 +0000

Part 3. I got them to fit. I couldn't let this beat me so I decided to have a better look. After hanging the std and monster flares over a saw horse next to each other, I was surprized to see the top of the arches were actually very close in size with the exception of the width. Looking down the sides I figured, like the front, trimming and shaping was needed, sides and ends where they curve under lower body. Trimming away thin sections at a time, a bit here, a bit there, finally got it fitting with now only a few mm gap at the top of arch. The other side was a lot quicker and easier to do. This side also had a section along 1 of the mounting holes were the manufaturer had cut away too much plastic. Regarding the flat top on the fuel cap side flare, theres a mounting screw at the top of the arch. I have drilled the hole a bit higher than when lined up. I am hoping when final fitting happens, this will pull the edge up a bit and make it look more rounded. Also going to try and put a small metal sleeve in the flare hole for extra reinforcment.

So in conclusion, the quality of these flares is very bad. You would expect one side to be a mirror image of the other side, excluding the filler cap area. These flares are not, some places not even close. They will not fit onto your vehicle out of the box. The are very hard to fit. Each flare requires trimming and shaping, hours of wasted time. I would not recommend these flares.
Spiritlevel

Return to General Discussion