Front end clunking now 4wdmalfunction.both accuators look ok

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Front end clunking now 4wdmalfunction.both accuators look ok

Postby Byron Dening on Thu, 23 May 2024 2:00 +0000

Hi
Last few weeks my 2016 hilux has been making a loud clunking noise from the front end. Mostly have noticed it when cornering or especially when going over bumps.
Getting gradually more common the more I drive it.

Today I've tried to put it in 4wd and noticed it no longer will and is giving me the malfunction warning.

I took it to a mechanic a few months back and mentioned there was a slight whistle coming from the front end and he told me to just spray silicon spray around the cvs. Which seemed to stop the whistle until it had dried.

Does this sound like cvs or could it be something worse then that?
Last edited by Byron Dening on Fri, 31 May 2024 8:53 +0000, edited 2 times in total.
Byron Dening

Re: Front end clunking now 4wd malfunction

Postby Rob_Wood on Thu, 23 May 2024 5:34 +0000

Worse than CVs?
Without being able to look at it's a bit tricky to diagnose..
CVs are one option, suspension (broken spring or blown shocks) can make these noises. Going into the less likely would be steering linkages or steering box, loose ball joints or control arms..
Peter Ardetti at Verge Street Autos is a brilliant diagnostition ... One of the best mechanics in Kempsey, let him know I sent you and he'll look after you.
Rob_Wood

Postby dave g on Tue, 28 May 2024 4:33 +0000

If it is not going into 4wd it is something in the shift area check that there is no water damage in the slider the noise when turning my be a cv
dave g

Postby Byron Dening on Fri, 31 May 2024 8:48 +0000

Is a damaged cv likely to cause a 2wd-4wd malfunction warning?
Ive started focusing more on that side of the issue. Starting by checking the diff accuator, pulled it off and tested with 12v everything looks good. Then tried the transfer case accuator which also looked reasonable. After putting it all back together (and retiming transfer case) it seemed to get rid of the warning and allow me to engage 4wd just not low range. Car now gets stuck in low range every time I engage it meaning I have to re take off the transfer case accuator and retime everything. Is there something else that could be causing this?
Byron Dening

Postby Byron Dening on Fri, 31 May 2024 8:50 +0000

Rob_Wood wrote:Worse than CVs?
Without being able to look at it's a bit tricky to diagnose..
CVs are one option, suspension (broken spring or blown shocks) can make these noises. Going into the less likely would be steering linkages or steering box, loose ball joints or control arms..
Peter Ardetti at Verge Street Autos is a brilliant diagnostition ... One of the best mechanics in Kempsey, let him know I sent you and he'll look after you.

Thanks for that. Will keep in mind next time I'm up that way. Currently in Sydney for work and trying to find a mechanic I trust and is capable or figure things out myself cheers
Byron Dening

Postby Rob_Wood on Fri, 31 May 2024 9:55 +0000

Byron Dening wrote:Is a damaged cv likely to cause a 2wd-4wd malfunction warning?
Ive started focusing more on that side of the issue. Starting by checking the diff accuator, pulled it off and tested with 12v everything looks good. Then tried the transfer case accuator which also looked reasonable. After putting it all back together (and retiming transfer case) it seemed to get rid of the warning and allow me to engage 4wd just not low range. Car now gets stuck in low range every time I engage it meaning I have to re take off the transfer case accuator and retime everything. Is there something else that could be causing this?

It almost sounds like a computer thing. Unfortunately my vehicle is older and thus not comparable to what you're experiencing. Mine's all mechanical engagement. If you'd like, I can give Peter a heads up that you'll be in contact next time you're up this way?
Just sing out.
20 or 30 years ago I could've given you some contacts in the shire, sorry, not sure if they're still around.
Rob_Wood

Return to General Discussion