New member with a question

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

New member with a question

Postby daz1974 on Sat, 25 Jun 2022 1:13 +0000

Hi all, Daran from Landsborough in Queensland. Just joined. Have checked through the other posts on the forum and cant see a similar issue posted. I have rust spots coming out through the paint above the windscreen. The spots are on the edge of the panel where the roof skin meets the windscreen frame. These are evenly spaced, 3 so far, and are bubbling under the paint before breaking out. Given the even spacing I am working on the theory that these rust spots are caused by spots welds that have not been sealed/painted correctly. The car is 6 years old and I would not expect that rust bubbles should be appearing within that time. Tried to ask the dealer about this last week, he insisted that they were stone chips that had begun to rust. Anyone else had a similar issue?
daz1974

Re: New member with a question

Postby dave g on Sat, 25 Jun 2022 8:13 +0000

If you are shore they are rust spots go to a smash repairs and get a report and send it to Toyota and try for a clam.
Have you had the car from new the car has not been in a smash and not fixed right.
dave g

Postby numberplate on Sun, 26 Jun 2022 4:50 +0000

a few members on the FB page have complained of the same thing. Toyota have a 7 year corrosion warranty according to the handbook but dealers always try to fob you off.

funny how stone chips can affect the paint yet completely miss the windscreen .

my missus just had the roof resprayed on her MQ Triton for stone chips but the windscreen was peppered with chips so that was definitly the cause. cost about $800 including the screen and labour , paint , roof rack removal etc
numberplate

Postby Philos on Sun, 26 Jun 2022 5:29 +0000

daz1974 wrote:Hi all, Daran from Landsborough in Queensland. Just joined. Have checked through the other posts on the forum and cant see a similar issue posted. I have rust spots coming out through the paint above the windscreen. The spots are on the edge of the panel where the roof skin meets the windscreen frame. These are evenly spaced, 3 so far, and are bubbling under the paint before breaking out. Given the even spacing I am working on the theory that these rust spots are caused by spots welds that have not been sealed/painted correctly. The car is 6 years old and I would not expect that rust bubbles should be appearing within that time. Tried to ask the dealer about this last week, he insisted that they were stone chips that had begun to rust. Anyone else had a similar issue?

Has the windscreen been changed? I'm wondering if these rust spots are coming from underneath the windscreen seal? I watched a guy replace my windscreen a while back and he used a long sharp knife on the inside of the car to slide around and break the seal. Well there's a great place for rust to start bc now I have a scratch most of the way around the frame underneath the removal rubber seal...
Philos

Postby Big Damo on Wed, 29 Jun 2022 6:23 +0000

Mate all jokes aside, it seems likely your car might have contracted Monkeypox on your Hilux. Apparently its mutating at 12 times quicker than first thought, and we can't rule out it's spread to motor vehicles as it is soooo contagious. I'd get it vaccinated as soon as possible.

I saw it on TV news so it must be true.
Big Damo

Postby Gipsy on Thu, 30 Jun 2022 5:49 +0000

:lol: been there, done that to death damo... Methinks social media has a lot to answer for. :lol:
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Return to General Discussion