2016 hilux factory diff lock

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

2016 hilux factory diff lock

Postby Tabsymy16 on Wed, 20 Jul 2016 4:59 +0000

Hi guys,
When i go into 4lo and activate my factory rear diff lock on my new Hilux Auto all is ok and it enables(solid red) but if i then stop and dont touch the diff lock switch at all but put the car back to 4h or 2h (in neutral) then the diff lock light on the dash just flashes red and wil not stop flashing(ever) at all even if in neutal or driving etc, also if i go back to 4lo and try to re-engage the diff lock(stoped and in neutral) it wont respond at all just flashes red non stop until the car is eventually tunred off etc to reset the system.. can anyone else confirm if this is normal or if something might be wrong with my truck? cheers all
Tabsymy16

Re: 2016 hilux factory diff lock

Postby creaky on Wed, 20 Jul 2016 5:16 +0000

Not sure if I fully understand your problem but assume that you do realise that the diff lock does not work in 2H or 4H ? If the locker switch is engaged while you are in 2H or 4H then the light will just flash (at least that's what happened in the FJ). Is that all your problem is ?

Sorry if I missed the point of your question.
creaky

Postby Tabsymy16 on Wed, 20 Jul 2016 6:10 +0000

Hi, yeah all good i knew about the only in 4lo thing, its just when i then stop the car and switch to 4h or 2h without turnign off the locker, the manual says it should turn the locker off and it kinda half does, basicly the locker light just flashes and never stops flashing wether you stop the car and push the locker button or not it just never stops flashing ever (like an hour etc) only way to stop it flashing is to turn the car off its as is the sytem crashes like a computer crash, you can not turn the locker back on at all ever even if back stoped in 4lo and in neutral, basicly that light for the locker wont stop flashing ever until the car is turned off and on again from that point
Tabsymy16

Postby creaky on Wed, 20 Jul 2016 6:16 +0000

So if you (as you should) disengage the locker whilst still in 4LO before shifting to high range, is there a problem ?
creaky

Postby Tabsymy16 on Wed, 20 Jul 2016 7:53 +0000

Just went out and tested it then on a dirt track, no problem if i turn off the locker manually before changing out of 4lo, i think its not worth worrying about and not actaully a major issue, just a pet peeve lol.
On the topic of diff lockers is it ok if on dirt or sand etc to go say 30km/h with the locker on? says on the driver door to not operate at speeds over 8km/h, not sure if that meen dont turn it on at over that or never ever go over that speed??
Tabsymy16

Postby ritrka on Thu, 21 Jul 2016 2:40 +0000

I'm having similar/same/worse problems. When I engage 4wd low and place the locker on straight from 2H, it may or may not engage low at all? I have to stop, turn the car off and have another go. Will the Hilux not go straight from 2H to 4L? It seems to want me to go from 2H, to 4H, drive a little bit (50 feet), stop, then engage low. Then the diff locker may or may not go on? Sometimes it will show solid red, other times it just flashes. I assumed that since the terrain was flat dirt, the diff lock doesn’t need to engage as it doesn’t detect slip. But then 5 minutes later it will go solid red under the same circumstances? It also won’t come out of 4Low? I have video of it driving in 4L with the switch clearly in 2H mode?. I have tried stopping, neutral, clutch in, clutch in gear etc, but it appears completely random? My primary concern is that I can’t trust it to engage 4Low and it wants me to stop and turn it off first?. Not ideal if I need it now and it wants time to drive on or spin the wheels for a little bit first before it will engage low. I have the video and the car is only a couple of weeks old, so it'll be back to the dealer shortly to get a rundown on what’s going on. I’ve had 4wd's most of my life, and the dial is hardly rocket science, so I’m a bit baffled as what I could be doing wrong or what it wants me to do. I'm curious can other Hilux owners go from 2H to 4L without going through a three step process? Starting to really miss a third lever! If you can, will the locker also engage?
ritrka

Postby adamkberger on Thu, 21 Jul 2016 3:23 +0000

I just did some testing on mine (auto) and it appears you may have stumbled across a design flaw with regards from shifting from 2H to 4L. Remember, the transfer case and diff lock are controlled by the 4wd ECU. Here are my observations. Going from 2H to 4H (any gear) the green symbol on the dash flashes and goes solid after a few seconds. Probably the front Auto Disconnecting Diff activating. Going from 4H to 4L, (Neutral) the 4L indicator flashes, you hear the transfer case crunching and then the indicator goes solid. If I try this in gear, the 4L indicator flashes and beeps until I either put it in neutral or go back to 4H. If I go from 2H to 4L even while in neutral, the front ADD activates as normal but the 4L indicator flashes and beeps like I'm not in neutral. If I shift out of neutral and back in, it happily engages 4L. It's happy to go from 4L to 2H as long as I'm in neutral. The diff lock will only activate in 4L. If I try to engage it any other time, it flashes and beeps for a few seconds and then goes out. If I go from 4L to 4H or 2H while the locker is in, it simply disengages.

Adam.
2015 SR5 2.8 Dual Cab Hilux
adamkberger

Postby Rickoo5 on Thu, 21 Jul 2016 5:04 +0000

I use 4H every day to get out my 1km long driveway. I often use 4L when towing a heavy trailer off road. I have not needed to use the diff lock to extract the vehicle yet but it has always engaged when I ask it to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards

Rickoo5 :)
Rickoo5

Postby ritrka on Fri, 22 Jul 2016 2:27 +0000

adamkberger wrote:I just did some testing on mine (auto) and it appears you may have stumbled across a design flaw with regards from shifting from 2H to 4L. Remember, the transfer case and diff lock are controlled by the 4wd ECU. Here are my observations. Going from 2H to 4H (any gear) the green symbol on the dash flashes and goes solid after a few seconds. Probably the front Auto Disconnecting Diff activating. Going from 4H to 4L, (Neutral) the 4L indicator flashes, you hear the transfer case crunching and then the indicator goes solid. If I try this in gear, the 4L indicator flashes and beeps until I either put it in neutral or go back to 4H. If I go from 2H to 4L even while in neutral, the front ADD activates as normal but the 4L indicator flashes and beeps like I'm not in neutral. If I shift out of neutral and back in, it happily engages 4L. It's happy to go from 4L to 2H as long as I'm in neutral. The diff lock will only activate in 4L. If I try to engage it any other time, it flashes and beeps for a few seconds and then goes out. If I go from 4L to 4H or 2H while the locker is in, it simply disengages.

Adam.

Hi Adam, I'll go out again and see if moving from in gear to out of gear etc etc makes a difference. From memory I tried every possible combination, but maybe I missed something? Of equal concern was we couldn't get it to disengage low range? Stopping neutral etc, didn't seem to make a difference, just lots of flashing lights and the switch clearly in 2H. The engaging/disengaging sounds weren't consistent either, sometimes they happened with quite a delay, if they happened at all. I'm sure it'll get sorted, but I will be disappointed in it if I can't go straight from 2h to 4L when I want.Thanks for the insights on how yours operates, cheers
ritrka

Postby Moose_ on Sat, 23 Jul 2016 5:39 +0000

Might sound a bit obvious, but if you read the owners manual in the section regarding the 4wd/diff lock section, it actually gives you a few things to try in the event the option you are selecting doesn't engage/disengage. I haven't had to use any yet, but could be helpful knowing as something else to try if you need to (if they are in the owners manual one would assume they work to some degree).

Are you guys using the diff lock just because? or tackling some pretty knarly tracks?
I haven't had to use the diff lock yet, the A-TRAC system works incredibly well.
The operation is a little noisey and off-putting, but once you learn to ignore it, the thing has gone everywhere with no issues so far. Appart from my side step getting snagged on the wall of a mud rut and not being able to get any traction with standard tyres in the mud.
Moose_

Postby ritrka on Wed, 27 Jul 2016 7:00 +0000

[quote="Moose_"]Might sound a bit obvious, but if you read the owners manual in the section regarding the 4wd/diff lock section, it actually gives you a few things to try in the event the option you are selecting doesn't engage/disengage. I haven't had to use any yet, but could be helpful knowing as something else to try if you need to (if they are in the owners manual one would assume they work to some degree).

When all else fails, read the instructions....damn, I always forget that one.
Thanks Moose, I'll have to have a bit of read and see what it recommends. I haven't had the opportunity to get back out there yet, but I'll give it a go. When tested I didn't actually need 4x4 or the diff lock, so I cant give any feedback on how it performs, but I definitely intend to

Cheers
ritrka

Postby Ryan1kd on Wed, 27 Jul 2016 8:07 +0000

Went on my 5th trip in mine the other day, used the locker a whole heap of times...on and off on a few hill climbs with wheels both on and off the ground. Performed great in both on and off modes...the traction control does the job just as well as the locker if you ask me.
Ryan1kd

Return to General Discussion