2016 Hilux Winch springs

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

2016 Hilux Winch springs

Postby telliscope on Fri, 24 Jun 2016 5:00 +0000

After fitting the Toyota steel bullbar the front has dropped a considerable amount, not interested in a lift kit but would like to get the front up to the height it was from factory. I know toyota have a front winch spring kit available, has anyone fitted these springs without a winch? I have no plans of fitting a winch in the future but feel the weight of the bullbar, dual battery and arb uvp have caused the front to drop a bit. Any ideas or opinions would be great
REDHEAD AND STOCKTON BEACH TRIP - Youtube https://youtu.be/WbNIu4Zx-eA

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfnkVp ... Heu1_Xd34w
telliscope

Re: 2016 Hilux Winch springs

Postby Tigesinaus on Sun, 26 Jun 2016 1:43 +0000

I had the spring kit fitted by the dealer, as I spec'ed in a winch. Ride height in the front looks normal.
Would probably be the easiest option if all you wanted to do was prop up the front.
Tigesinaus

Postby sugaris on Mon, 27 Jun 2016 12:30 +0000

Save up your money... buy the BP-51's. They are worth every cent. :D
sugaris

Postby ritrka on Thu, 14 Jul 2016 4:11 +0000

Tigesinaus wrote:I had the spring kit fitted by the dealer, as I spec'ed in a winch. Ride height in the front looks normal.
Would probably be the easiest option if all you wanted to do was prop up the front.

Hi, I ordered the factory winch and alloy bullbar. There was a brief discussion at the time between the salesman and mechanic who said yes it will need the upgraded springs. However, the front does feel quite soft and I'm wondering did they actually change them or not? Are you able to tell me what your factory upgraded springs look like? Mine are standard looking and have two coloured dots on them, like you would expect on a standard factory item. One dot looks greenish yellow and the other reddish orange? Cheers
ritrka

Postby telliscope on Thu, 14 Jul 2016 7:11 +0000

ritrka wrote:
Tigesinaus wrote:I had the spring kit fitted by the dealer, as I spec'ed in a winch. Ride height in the front looks normal.

Hi, I ordered the factory winch and alloy bullbar. There was a brief discussion at the time between the salesman and mechanic who said yes it will need the upgraded springs. However, the front does feel quite soft and I'm wondering did they actually change them or not? Are you able to tell me what your factory upgraded springs look like? Mine are standard looking and have two coloured dots on them, like you would expect on a standard factory item. One dot looks greenish yellow and the other reddish orange? Cheers

Had the upgraded factory springs fitted today. From what I can see they have a grey & yellow dot on them. The original springs that I asked for back have a yellow and orange dot on them. I do know the petrol and hi rider models have different part numbers for the springs so may be other colour markings on them

telliscope

Postby creaky on Thu, 14 Jul 2016 7:39 +0000

Slightly off topic but .... Does the factory alloy bar take a winch ?
creaky

Postby telliscope on Thu, 14 Jul 2016 8:05 +0000

creaky wrote:Slightly off topic but .... Does the factory alloy bar take a winch ?

I believe there are two types of alloy bar, one of them is winch compatible yes

telliscope

Postby ritrka on Fri, 15 Jul 2016 4:13 +0000

telliscope wrote:
ritrka wrote:

Had the upgraded factory springs fitted today. From what I can see they have a grey & yellow dot on them. The original springs that I asked for back have a yellow and orange dot on them. I do know the petrol and hi rider models have different part numbers for the springs so may be other colour markings on them

Many thanks telliscope
I spoke to the dealer and they have my upgraded springs sitting on their shelf. An oversight due to rushing mine out. I accept this as correct as they did turn it around very quick for me and delivered a week earlier than originally advised. It'll go in for its first service shortly and they'll be installed then. For others interest, with the alloy bar and winch it did feel too soft in the front

Cheers and thanks for the info on markings
ritrka

Postby gjn on Fri, 15 Jul 2016 5:26 +0000

Slightly off-topic but related - I've ordered a 4WD SCC with the premium steel bar but no winch. Nothing was mentioned regarding upgrading the springs, has anyone else gone down this path with the single cab 4WD version?
gjn

Postby telliscope on Fri, 15 Jul 2016 6:21 +0000

No problems ritrka, glad you got it sorted, big difference after getting the springs replaced.

telliscope

Postby Tigesinaus on Sat, 16 Jul 2016 5:18 +0000

gjn wrote:Slightly off-topic but related - I've ordered a 4WD SCC with the premium steel bar but no winch. Nothing was mentioned regarding upgrading the springs, has anyone else gone down this path with the single cab 4WD version?

They only recommend the springs if you have optioned a winch. My previous lux had a steel BB and no spring upgrade and was fine.
Tigesinaus

Postby gjn on Sat, 16 Jul 2016 6:03 +0000

Tigesinaus wrote:
gjn wrote:Slightly off-topic but related - I've ordered a 4WD SCC with the premium steel bar but no winch. Nothing was mentioned regarding upgrading the springs, has anyone else gone down this path with the single cab 4WD version?

They only recommend the springs if you have optioned a winch. My previous lux had a steel BB and no spring upgrade and was fine.

Thanks for that. Good to know.
gjn

Return to General Discussion