Satellite Phone calls.

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Satellite Phone calls.

Postby Cactusfizzy on Mon, 02 May 2016 9:23 +0000

Who would I call in a situation if broken down or seriously stuck and not life threatening .How to I obtain all the correct phone numbers while traveling in remote areas of SA WA and NT...
Also is it enough just to carry a Satellite phone I do I really need PLB or alike thanks
Cactusfizzy

Re: Satellite Phone calls.

Postby dave g on Mon, 02 May 2016 10:30 +0000

easy research the area your going make a list of all the numbers you think you will need then add same more and PLB are for life or deaf only.
there are plenty of books with a list of numbers from police to road houses
again research is same of the fun of going out back.
I TAKE BOTH
DAV
dave g

Postby awwricecracker on Tue, 03 May 2016 5:20 +0000

Hema maps have phone numbers on them for roadhouses, visitors centres etc which usually mean you can get through to someone who can then give you the number for the local that you need.
awwricecracker

Postby Bushbound on Tue, 03 May 2016 9:23 +0000

You will need numbers for SA, WA, NT road conditions, police stations, road houses etc in the area you travelling and Flying Doctor - note the RFDS has several different numbers for the different regions they cover.
I carry satfone and PLB.
Geoff
Danger is natures way of eliminating stupid people.
Bushbound

Postby rob101 on Tue, 03 May 2016 7:23 +0000

Vks737 did a very interesting (and compelling) facebook post for using HF over a satphone.
When using HF, transmitting a message tho anyone listening on a emergency channel will be heard by others listening, who may be able to help;

Vks 737 facebook, 25-march
"SatPhones" thanks to http://www.westprint.com.au

• I was an Inmarsat Dealer for a fair while. The comments about pre-paid expiry are quite valid only lasting 30 days. However, if you do not activate them you have a 12-month shelf life on the prepaid vouchers and the 30 days only starts from when you activate it. I normally don't activate the voucher unless needed. OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE is the fact that you can dial 000 without having any credit or activated voucher. I believe that calls can also be received without credit. Peter.

• I read with interest the contributions about Satphone use, particularly when travelling remotely. While I do believe that satphones can be a useful tool to maintain contact when travelling this great country, I have some concerns about relying on them solely when in trouble. I have to confess at this point that I am a great supporter of HF radio, being a voluntary co-ordinator with VKS-737 Radio Network and also being the holder of an Advanced Amateur Radio Licence.

When in an emergency situation and asking for help via a satphone, who knows that you're in trouble? Your party and the person on the other end of the phone link. No one else because no one else can hear your conversation. All of the commercial HF Radio Providers have provision for people on their networks to gain help when things go badly downhill. On the network I represent (VKS-737 Radio Network), a four digit selcall gains help through any of our 19 base stations via a system that is monitored 24 hours a day, every day of the year. Another great advantage of requesting help via a HF radio is that assistance may actually not be that far away.

Last year, travellers on the Canning Stock Route had a rear suspension failure (broken U Bolts) north of Well 33. They called for assistance using their HF radio and within a short time, another traveller on our network passed them and gave them one of his spares. Additionally, another traveller at the Kunawarritji Community (Well 33) called on air to say he was parked in front of a wrecked Troop Carrier with the required U Bolts still on it. He made enquiries and secured both sets for a grand total of a $40 donation then delivered them to the stranded travellers; total cost equivalent to a few minutes of calls on a private satphone that no-one else would have heard.

Another example of the benefits of HF radio occurred when a club group had a major vehicle failure in the Victorian High Country. After repeated calls for assistance, using a satphone and expending over $50 of call costs, they still hadn't secured any assistance as they had trouble convincing the call takers in two states that they weren't in a built up area. One call on HF radio secured the required assistance and provided radio backup throughout their ordeal. A woman travelling solo in the New South Wales High Country became stranded early one evening. A call for help into our network got assistance on the way and also alerted other travellers close by who immediately came to her aid and secured her safety

What about the case of the two Korean cyclists on the Anne Beadell Highway who were ill equipped and ran out of food and water? The welfare calls over HF radio and the food and water drops saved their lives. Finally, the case of a New Zealand couple, experienced travellers in our outback who broke down on the Anne Beadell Highway at the WA Border with a transmission failure. They called on HF another traveller on our network heard their cry for help and detoured from north of Neale Junction to their spot and towed them into Ilkurlka Roadhouse, then subsequently assisted them all the way to Kalgoorlie. They are now lifelong friends. Try to achieve that via a satphone!

I haven't mentioned the many people who've become ill or have suffered accidents who've been helped successfully through the use of HF radio. Having only a satphone, you could travel within a short distance of someone in distress, possibly able to provide assistance but not even knowing that they were there.
Having a HF radio on board provides you with a community you wouldn't otherwise have. There are other people on your chosen network who you can talk with and even meet up with, gaining new friendships. You have ready access to weather information, particularly significant weather warnings. You can obtain information about road conditions and suggested camping spots from others who have a fair degree of experience. Most importantly, you have access to reliable help from people with local knowledge should things go pear shaped.

Yes, HF radios are expensive if purchased new. My pre-loved Barrett HF radio cost me $800, many years ago. Add a tapped whip for a couple of hundred and I had a system that could reliably talk across the country. I tell people that satphones have their place in maintaining contact with families and friends. Remember though that travellers can make phone calls using HF radio networks such as ours. UHF Citizens Band is good for point to point local comms, particularly in convoys. A HF radio will save your life if you're in the poop. I also strongly recommend an EPIRB for people who get off the well-travelled roads. Enjoy travelling but stay safe out there. Robert (VKS-737 Volunteer)
rob101

Postby awwricecracker on Wed, 04 May 2016 6:13 +0000

Hi Robert,

Out of interest, do you know if there is any correlation between an epirb activation and the HF radio network? I work reasonably remote between communities in the West Kimberley area, I have wondered who would be notified if I activated the epirb.
awwricecracker

Postby rob101 on Wed, 04 May 2016 9:40 +0000

I don't know. Sorry.
rob101

Postby adamkberger on Wed, 04 May 2016 3:39 +0000

There is no correlation between HF and EPIRB/PLB. HF uses a land based radio network while EPRIB/PLB communicate with the Cospas-Sarsat satellite network in space. When an EPIRB/PLB is activated, it sends a signal to the satellite at 406MHz. When this is received, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority will be notified and if you have registered your EPIRB/PLB, they will proceed to contact your emergency contacts to learn more about where you might be before they start a search.
2015 SR5 2.8 Dual Cab Hilux
adamkberger

Postby rob101 on Wed, 04 May 2016 7:10 +0000

adamkberger wrote:There is no correlation between HF and EPIRB/PLB. HF uses a land based radio network while EPRIB/PLB communicate with the Cospas-Sarsat satellite network in space. When an EPIRB/PLB is activated, it sends a signal to the satellite at 406MHz. When this is received, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority will be notified and if you have registered your EPIRB/PLB, they will proceed to contact your emergency contacts to learn more about where you might be before they start a search.

I'm sure its not that hard to tune a scanner to 406mhz.
Determining direction is harder.
Decoding the gps info encoded in the transmission can be included for bonus chuckles.
Line of sight is rarely available too.
rob101

Postby rob101 on Wed, 04 May 2016 7:12 +0000

Also. Wikipedia claims epirb is un the UHF range.
rob101

Return to General Discussion