V8 Hilux

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Re: V8 Hilux

Postby mrpatchman on Mon, 11 Apr 2016 6:38 +0000

Hilux Max wrote:10 points to you sir for looking into such a project. Great to see people thinking out of the box.

Some suggestions if I may?

1. I was involved in the market research group prior to the development and release of the TRD Hilux. Back then we were offered 3 options, 2 seperate 4x4 version, and a 4x2 version. Even thou I like my 4x4’s, the 4x2 made more sense as a production model vehicle. It could have been pitted against the SS and XR6 turbo utes directly and would have been more within people budgets. I would suggest you consider evaluating a 4x2 New Hilux pickup first for such a project.
2. Are you willing to warrant “stupid”? LS V8 will be putting a lot of power/torque out to the rear diff, and yes, even thou the new hilux has a 8.8” upgraded rear diff, all that extra V8 torque once multiplied through the transfercase in low range will push reliability of drivetrain to its limits, especially the front diff and cv shafts ocne larger/grippier tyres are fitted.
3. You have two separate customer types within the 4x4 market….those that want a “Street Truck”, and those that want an “Offroader”…….for the money your expecting to sell these for, I know many would rather keep the factory Toyota drivetrain and have a engineered and warranted Solid Axle Swapped front end.

I believe there is a much larger market potential for an engineered and warranted SAS’d new hilux that you can buy through a dealership, through finance than there is for a high performance pickup. And those that are after such a modification, already have some options out there that have already built several of them.
4. Lastly, may I suggest, with such a modification list like which you plan, pickup a second hand N70 hilux, to start with. Will be a lot cheaper starting price to begin such a project, with a lower starting price, the end price will be cheaper, and will appeal to a larger market of customers, especially tradies and the like who would love such a vehicle for the 40grand mark as opposed to paying double that for a new shape one. This will be a good guide to help you gauge the market interest before you go spending he sums on a new vehicle.

But don’t let my comments hold you back….Keen to follow progress with whatever you choose to do, and hopefully you can keep a recorded build thread of your projects on this forum for us all to read.

My sentiments exactly. Clutch, Gearbox, transfer, diff centres and CVs... Very expensive if it is to be more than a show car.
PATCH
"Si Vis Pacem, Para Belum" Latin - If you wish for peace, prepare for war
PM if wheeling in ACT region
mrpatchman

Re: V8 Hilux

Postby mrpatchman on Mon, 11 Apr 2016 6:42 +0000

Hilux Max wrote:why fit a 2UZ with a heavy iron block and which is wider than a LS when the LS has so many more benefitsto it?

Gen 3 is too old (5.7 LS1) and won't meet emissions either...

L98... LS3 Gen 4 is the go.

LSA will just rip a driveline out, unless you replace the entire driveline too.
PATCH
"Si Vis Pacem, Para Belum" Latin - If you wish for peace, prepare for war
PM if wheeling in ACT region
mrpatchman

Previous

Return to General Discussion