Firm ride on new Prerunner SR5

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Firm ride on new Prerunner SR5

Postby comms1 on Mon, 07 Mar 2016 9:28 +0000

Hi I'm curious to find out if anybody has any experience in softening up the suspension by removing rear leaf springs?

Just got myself a new Prerunner 2wd SR5 and really happy to be back in a Toyota after a few years of owning an unreliable PX Ranger but I'm finding the ride very firm and fidgetty. I knew it was firmer than the Rangers but on longer trips its proving quite uncomfortable. I dont need a big rear payload capacity so was thinking of investigating what simple options exist to get a more compliant ride. The VW Amarok is available in a 'comfort tune' ex' factory where they remove two of the five leaf springs to soften them up and it takes about 200kg off its payload rating so that got me thinking.

My SR5 has the leather seats which are very firm too and probably not helping...

I understand the Asian market Hilux gets a softer suspension tune more suited to the on-road only driving they do so would be interested to find out which suspension components are different on these models?

Any help or feedback would be much appreciated!

cheers
comms1

Re: Firm ride on new Prerunner SR5

Postby ls3tourer on Wed, 30 Mar 2016 1:06 +0000

Any luck with this mate? I test drove the new hilux and was quite surprised how firm it rode too. Keen to hear of any improvements.
ls3tourer

Re: Firm ride on new Prerunner SR5

Postby Rocket55 on Wed, 30 Mar 2016 3:16 +0000

I had a leaf removed from my rear spring pack to a) lower it and b) soften the ride. Worked well and ran around with it like that for years without issue. It's a pretty common thing to do.
Cheers Rod
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Bitumen ...... another waste of public funds
Rocket55

Return to General Discussion