speedo -odo working -speed not

speedo -odo working -speed not

Postby cereza on Tue, 25 Jan 2011 2:51 +0000

hi guys,
new to this forum -and like th elook of it already

I have recently purchased a "red duster" 07 V6 dcab hilux - part of the cleansing process involved removing the dash cluster -i have done this a few times and know to be very careful - i removed it as it had some stains on the actual lens -to clean i removed the lens and in doing so move the speedo needle -not much though. After putting it back together everything owrks including the odo but it wont register speed - when i put the key in its making a ticking sound and the needle vibrates very slightly - anybody know if there is a reset for this (fix) turn key on and off 4 times etc or have i possibly bumped the needle off a cog ??

any help appreciated

cheers
cereza

Re: speedo -odo working -speed not

Postby Hellbound on Tue, 25 Jan 2011 10:27 +0000

Hmmm, did you actually move the needle itself? Is the needle resting on exactly 0? I think as long as the needle is resting on its "stop" then it should work unless the white wiring connector that goes into the back top part of the cluster hasnt gone all the way back in.

Check that the connector is firmly pushed in and that the needle is resting at the 0 "stop" as the needle can be moved around the dial but this moves the stop to a different spot so you may have to just take it all apart again and pick the needle off the dial then move and place it down again until it rests on its own at exactly the 0 marker....
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby cereza on Fri, 28 Jan 2011 8:33 +0000

Hellbound
thanks for the post - new development - the speedo works but "0" is now at what would be about 280kmh - or about half way between "0" and the 200kmh mark (facing backward) So when i take all the speedo covers (plastic) off it works -
So yes i did move it - and cant remember how far - also there is no "stop post" for the needle to go back to zero -

So if i move the needle to zero it works fine until i turn the car off - then it goes back to the spot mention above - do i simple pull the needle off its spline? - am worried it will break -doesnt appear to any clips/screws holding it on
Do i just prise it off with like a flat butter knife or sim?

thanks again
Clint
cereza

Postby Hellbound on Fri, 28 Jan 2011 12:25 +0000

Cool bananas, sounds like you have moved the needle and the stop post might now be somewhere else. What you need to do is lift off the needle itself with something like a thin razor blade but i managed to get mine off with just a gentle pull on the centre circular bit, deffinately dont grab the needle itself as it might bend.

Pull it off completely and replace it down at say 80km. What you need to do now is just twirl it from the centre anti-clockwise until you find where the stop is. Its deffinately there somehere so you might need to do this a few times until you can feel where it twirls around easy, but then becomes more difficult to twirl and right at that point is the stop. Basicall you need to get the stop back to 0 so just find where it is and keep moving the middle part anti-clockwise until you get it back to exactly 0, have fun and good luck :D
Hellbound

Postby cereza on Fri, 28 Jan 2011 1:59 +0000

thanks mate - thats great info
i will also be a bit careful as to my speed until resolved - this morning i got the big girl up to 180kmh and a scooter overtook me - haha (so assume i was really doing about 40kmh!)
cereza

Postby Hellbound on Sat, 05 Feb 2011 6:35 +0000

Any luck with it yet mate?
Hellbound

Postby reallyxxxxxxloud on Sat, 12 Feb 2011 4:32 +0000

Remove the needle plug the dash cluster back in and turn the car on. The pin Speedo pin should of moved back to the 0km/hr mark. Push the needle back on so its sitting at 0 and it should now be correct...
reallyxxxxxxloud

Postby Pearso on Mon, 15 Aug 2016 8:36 +0000

reallyxxxxxxloud wrote:Remove the needle plug the dash cluster back in and turn the car on. The pin Speedo pin should of moved back to the 0km/hr mark. Push the needle back on so its sitting at 0 and it should now be correct...
I was having the same problem with my 2010 hilux and was told I needed a new speedo. But after reading this I lifted off the needle and placed it back solving the problem.
Also since I have now fitted 33" mud tires I placed the needle at 4-5kmh so when travelling at 40 60 80 and 100kmh my speedo is correct! :D
Pearso

Postby rachael on Sat, 22 Jul 2017 3:13 +0000

thanks guys,was cleaning speedo as well and must of moved needle.as the stop point was at the bottom had to move anti clock ways all the way back to zero happy days
rachael

Return to Electrical