Battery Charger Leads modification

Battery Charger Leads modification

Postby PluckA76 on Thu, 12 Aug 2010 6:48 +0000

Does anyone know if changing the ailigator clamps that come with battery chargers to say a half meter lead with an anderson plug woukd make the charger function any different Are they tuned to a specific lead length.

I'm thinking as long as you dont try to connect a rediculously long cable to it that would cause a significant voltage drop it would be ok.

The idea behind this question is making up a cable for my battery in my camper trailer. One end solder on terminal lugs and fix to battery terminals and the other an Anderson plug. The battery box and battery are screwed to the floor of the camper trailer and will have the battery box lid on to keep it a little dust free. Make the cable long enough to route from the battery terminals through the channels in the lid and hang loose with about 40cm slack.

Cut the clips off my Projecta 25A charger and extend the lead slightly and solder another anderson plug on it. This way I don't have to root around undoing the lid and trying to get the clips to stay on properly.

The aligator clips I cut off the charger I leave abit of length so I can solder a lead up - again an anderson plug which will connect to the charger I have already changed to charge the camper trailer battery and the aligator clips on the other end for when I I need to use them.

Sorry for the long winded story but just something I'm thinking would be worth doing.
HE WHO DIES WITH MOST TOYS WINS
PluckA76

Re: Battery Charger Leads modification

Postby Steve9R on Thu, 12 Aug 2010 8:25 +0000

yep, no problem at all..depending on how far you need to extend them, youll probably need to put in bigger wire to reduce the voltage drop and deliver the amps you require...make sure you use the correct sized anderson plugs too....

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Re: Battery Charger Leads modification

Postby Rebs on Sat, 30 Sep 2023 3:01 +0000

I did that a few years ago to my chargers. At home I plug the aligator clips back in for the tractor and other batteries around the place and when away camped can plug the chargers into any of the 3 aux batteries on board the lux and camper. Too easy, beats messing around with alligator clips on hard to get at batteries.
Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat, 30 Sep 2023 3:01 +0000.
Rebs

Return to Electrical