Fitting factory towbar wiring harness

Fitting factory towbar wiring harness

Postby rodw on Tue, 27 Jul 2010 7:40 +0000

Been a bit of a discussion about this. So here is how it is done. Mods might like to sticky this

Well, I thought, I’d put up a few pics of how to fit the Toyota wiring loom. So here goes:

I started off forking out $170 for the Towing harness

Only to find I needed to spend another $70 on the relay harness.

This is meant to mount up behind the earthing point right where my dual battery was mounted

A trip to the shed was required. Started by scribing a mark

Then surgery

Then some bashing. I used a bit of scrap metal.

Now the bracket will stand off the inner guard so the relay box can clip in.

Pulled out the cranking battery as there is a bit of room left near it

Clip the box on, used an earthing point for one bolt and also as the earth. One more wire runs to the positive battery terminal.

Plug the front harness into one plug (the other is to run the bulbar indicators)

Wrap the other end of this harness onto some stiff wire with some tape.

Find the big rubber wiring grommet behind the engine and cut off the rubber tit.

Poke the wire through and draw through the harness.

Clip on the provided connector inside the cabin according to the instructions

Remove the kick panel near the drivers foot (remove one plastic nut and pull out the rubber sealing strip near the door and it will unclip. Remove the and drivers side sill panel (pulls straight off). Run the wires down along the sill in the wiring channel

Tidy up the wiring under the dash with the cable ties and tidy up with wire cutters or pincers.

Climb under the car and find a rubber grommet near the back of the drivers seat, pull it out and push the third wiring harness up from under the car and clip the grommet on the cable into place. Here are actually two of these grommets. If it is real easy to get to like this , you have the wrong one

Ya got to make sure you use the hard to get to one poking out from the chassis rail

Plug the wire into the other harness. The blue wire is for electric brake controller but we got ahead of ourselves

Now spend about half an our trying to decipher the factory diagrams and route the wiring down the chassis rail across the cross member the spare tyre swings off and over to the left hand side rear indicator.

Plug the socket in (there is also a 7 pin flat plug option available)

And run the wires over to the left side indicator and the other connectors. Pull the indicators out. They are held on by 2 bolts near the tail gate and then they will pull out.

Remove the wire from the tail lights

And plug in the piggy back harness

Do the same thing on the right hand side

Replace the tail lights

Plug the wires into the third wiring harness that runs back to the cabin.

Tidy up all the wires securely with cable ties.

You are done! Check all the lights work. Shout yourself a carton (maybe 2) if you get it done in the time Toyota allow their dealers to fit it according to the instructions. Next topic will be electric brake controller.
rodw

Re: Fitting factory towbar wiring harness

Postby KTM525EXC on Tue, 27 Jul 2010 11:24 +0000

hey rod i thought this was a recall and was done by toyota free?
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby rodw on Wed, 28 Jul 2010 5:04 +0000

KTM525EXC wrote:hey rod i thought this was a recall and was done by toyota free?

Not anymore. It might have been a recall if Toyota had fitted a basic wiring harness back when they did not know any better. In my case, the original towbar wiring was not fitted by Toyota and had Narva not Toyota on it. I wanted to make sure it was right before I start to tow a van.
rodw

Postby KTM525EXC on Wed, 28 Jul 2010 11:36 +0000

hmmm i wonder how others, myself included will go with the genuine stuff if it ever fails would it be covered?
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby kainb on Wed, 28 Jul 2010 12:54 +0000

Rod,

How much time do Toyota give for their dealers to do this job??
kainb

Postby rodw on Wed, 28 Jul 2010 5:46 +0000

kainb wrote:Rod,

How much time do Toyota give for their dealers to do this job??

I think it was 10 minutes to fit the relays and 40 minutes to fit the full harness based on the instructions. You would need to do a few or at least see it done once to come in on time.
rodw

Postby Paulba on Sat, 07 Aug 2010 8:24 +0000

Hi Rod,

Would it be possible to get a copy of the Toyota install instructions?

I had my loom(s) fitted by ARB with my rear step tow bar, but I would love to have something that documented the extra wiring.

Regards,

Paul
Paulba

Postby Steve9R on Sat, 07 Aug 2010 9:44 +0000

hmmm.. sticky.......;)
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby Lucasss on Sat, 07 Aug 2010 10:44 +0000

Lucasss

Postby sdrob on Wed, 02 Feb 2011 7:44 +0000

i too did this wiring loom and yes it took way longer than the described, the only bonus is that when i bought the tow bar, wiring and relay kit they gave me 3 relay kits in one bag by mistake... so now have to work out what to do with the 2 spare relay boxes...
sdrob

Postby Isaacn on Fri, 27 May 2011 2:32 +0000

good stuff i like your sharing good information about cars i like.
Isaacn

Postby hylux on Fri, 27 May 2011 3:06 +0000

Sounds like a lot of work. ARB fit a module behind tail light and have one wire going to the battery for power. Dead simple to install - not sure on price for just this gear bit sure its a lot less than $240.
I love hybrid cars - means more fuel for me
hylux

Postby VMN on Sat, 28 May 2011 7:17 +0000

hylux wrote:Sounds like a lot of work. ARB fit a module behind tail light and have one wire going to the battery for power. Dead simple to install - not sure on price for just this gear bit sure its a lot less than $240.

Sounds like they are fitting the relay harness (or similar) at the rear. But if you are running electric brakes, you will need to run another wire to the controller in the cabin which is included in the factory harness. This was the driving force behind the project I have documented here. It brought my install to factory spec and added the wire to the brake controller.

Rod
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
Dedicated to providing exceptional value and service to NewHilux members
VMN

Postby ARB_SR5_W.A on Sat, 10 Dec 2011 4:40 +0000

Is there any chance of getting some photo's of how you've run the wiring down the chassis before the spare tyre. I fitted my harness but couldn't find holes for all of the clips on the harness in that area, it looks dodgy when I'm under there and it's one thing I hate looking at when I put it up on the hoist :roll:
ARB_SR5_W.A

Postby fourby4diesel on Sat, 10 Dec 2011 6:22 +0000

aftermarket hayman reese fitted by towbar city $500.00 done fitted and finshed.....

Theirs is all done at the back, they dont have any issues.
New DENSO Injectors are the go! New genuine parts.
Cheers, Anth - Technician - 1KD-FTV

Check your injectors about every 10,000k.
WARNING check oil pickup screen is clear
no chips no tune ups - why increase risk of piston cracking?
fourby4diesel

Postby VMN on Sat, 10 Dec 2011 9:11 +0000

ARB_SR5_W.A wrote:Is there any chance of getting some photo's of how you've run the wiring down the chassis before the spare tyre. I fitted my harness but couldn't find holes for all of the clips on the harness in that area, it looks dodgy when I'm under there and it's one thing I hate looking at when I put it up on the hoist :roll:

Sorry, my car is off the road. Maybe check that you used the right cable grommet as discussed above. I think I used the wrong one and nothing lined up, maybe you have done the same.
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
VMN

Postby VMN on Sat, 10 Dec 2011 9:14 +0000

Slowlux wrote:aftermarket hayman reese fitted by towbar city $500.00 done fitted and finshed.....

Theirs is all done at the back, they dont have any issues.

That may be OK for a basic trailer but if you have a few running lights etc you can run into problems. My lights worked ok on a box trailer just wired into the back too (most of the time) but I decided to do it properly when I bought a caravan.
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
VMN

Postby ARB_SR5_W.A on Sun, 11 Dec 2011 6:29 +0000

Yeh I used the hard to get to hole, as I could barely even get my fingers in there to pull the wiring through!
ARB_SR5_W.A

Postby daz243 on Sat, 12 May 2012 3:27 +0000

G'day all just a quick question for those in the know,I've got a 08 dual cab with a tray.Just brought a factory towbar and harness,can I cut out the patch connectors to the taillights and join by another means as the tray has led taillights?? Cheers
daz243

Postby fredbear on Mon, 28 May 2012 6:12 +0000

VMN wrote:That may be OK for a basic trailer but if you have a few running lights etc you can run into problems. My lights worked ok on a box trailer just wired into the back too (most of the time) but I decided to do it properly when I bought a caravan.

Thanks for explaining problem. Any idea if Toyota have 'fixed' this issue on the MY12 SR5 with either heavier wiring or including the 'extra' relays & harnesses? or do we still need to buy the 2 harnesses as optional extras (if I done a search & had known I would have tried to get dealer to include them). I plan to fit ARB rear bar so just want the toyota wiring
fredbear

Next

Return to Electrical