Fitting factory towbar wiring harness

Re: Fitting factory towbar wiring harness

Postby hdengate on Thu, 31 Jan 2019 2:15 +0000

G'day Rod,

I'm having issues with my Trailer indicators not working (I know they work because i've hooked it to another car). I've tracked it back to the plug in your second last photo, where one of the green and one of the yellow show 12v (with hazards on) and the other only shows about 1v. Any ideas?
hdengate

Postby HiluxKiwi93 on Wed, 28 Sep 2022 5:17 +0000

hdengate wrote:G'day Rod,

I'm having issues with my Trailer indicators not working (I know they work because i've hooked it to another car). I've tracked it back to the plug in your second last photo, where one of the green and one of the yellow show 12v (with hazards on) and the other only shows about 1v. Any ideas?

I've got a similar issue, My Indicators work as they should when it's just them. As soon as the headlights or brakes are turned on they both light up if one is on with a 1v voltage leak coming through.

Has anyone else had this issue and managed to resolve it?
HiluxKiwi93

Postby Rob_Wood on Wed, 28 Sep 2022 3:26 +0000

HiluxKiwi93 wrote:
hdengate wrote:G'day Rod,

I've got a similar issue, My Indicators work as they should when it's just them. As soon as the headlights or brakes are turned on they both light up if one is on with a 1v voltage leak coming through.

Has anyone else had this issue and managed to resolve it?

Sounds like a common issues with a lack of effective earthing in many trailers. The best way to resolve this issue is to run a separate earthing wire and not rely on the trailer itself as an earth conductor. Let us know how you go.
Rob_Wood

Postby HiluxKiwi93 on Mon, 10 Oct 2022 7:55 +0000

I tried another earth wire with no success.
I found that there was a very slight voltage leak from my Hilux. Checking the factory loom I couldn't find any fault in the wiring. (Short of replacing it all again which I didn't want the time or expense off)

I did discover when checking with my other trailer where the LED Lights worked correctly that it had more resistance 4 Mega Ohms.

The Trailer where I had the issue only had a measurement of 1 Mega Ohms. As a result I added a couple of resisters to my affected trailer from the indicators to the earth and the problem was resolved.

Hope this helps someone else.
HiluxKiwi93

Postby hylux on Mon, 10 Oct 2022 5:31 +0000

Kun26 requires a trailer module installed to stop car and trailerr doing stupid things.
I love hybrid cars - means more fuel for me
hylux

Previous

Return to Electrical