uhf in ash tray slot

uhf in ash tray slot

Postby rusty1980 on Wed, 02 Jun 2010 7:55 +0000

Hi all,
I have found a few pic in members sheds of there GME tx3400 head unit mounted in the ash tray slot. I couldn't find any info on haw to do this. Can anyone help?

Thanks Rusty
rusty1980

Re: uhf in ash tray slot

Postby Steve9R on Wed, 02 Jun 2010 8:00 +0000

yeah.. simply remove the ash tray, there is a metal bracket that holds the ashtray, just screw the head unit swivel bracket to it and run your cables.. easy..

Cheers
Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby rusty1980 on Wed, 02 Jun 2010 8:36 +0000

hi steve

I have a 2010 dual cab and the ash tray bracket is plastic. My uhf swivel bracket dosn't fit into the ashtray slot. In the pics i have seen it dosn't look like they have used the swivel bracket. Have a look at jabren shed.

http://www.newhilux.net/forum/memberlis ... file&u=256

Thanks Rusty
rusty1980

Postby trymypride on Mon, 09 Aug 2010 6:33 +0000

This is a bit of a bump......
I like also like the idea of a flush ash-tray mount for the UHF and have seen it in a few sheds. Is this the only GME unit that will fit and where have you guys located the main unit? In the footwells?
I have a 2005 model SR5, so any advice greatly appreciated :)

Cheers
Chris
trymypride

Postby broke on Mon, 09 Aug 2010 9:31 +0000

My head unit bracket is actually screwed into the face of the ashtray. This way when I go to sell the car I just need to get a new ashtray and I don't have any holes in the car.

My main unit is velcroed to the carpet under my seat. I just used the hook side of velcro with an adhesive backing and stuck it on. It doesn't budge on the carpet at all and I can hear the speaker well. Only downside is if I was to get a heap of water inside, it may go under. But just quietly, if I had that much water inside, it would be the least of my worries!! ;)

Here is a link to the article that a member had done on it but the pictures don't seem to work anymore (or it could be just my work computer),

http://www.newhilux.net/myshed.php?view ... cle=48&id=

Daniel
broke

Postby rodw on Mon, 09 Aug 2010 6:48 +0000

NOt saying it will help, but I recently posted a "how to fit brake controller" thread in te ashtray but I removed the two hidden screws to pull out the slide the ashtray fits into. This will give you more clearance. Might work for the CB as well. Lots of pics in the thread I refer to.
rodw

Postby hayzie on Mon, 09 Aug 2010 7:33 +0000

rodw wrote:NOt saying it will help, but I recently posted a "how to fit brake controller" thread in te ashtray but I removed the two hidden screws to pull out the slide the ashtray fits into. This will give you more clearance. Might work for the CB as well. Lots of pics in the thread I refer to.

thanks rodw

iv got the problem with fiting the GME TX3200 somewhere around the dash. if i can just make a bit more room in the ashtray slot then it might just work. probably not but ill have a crack at it anyway. ill read your "how to fit brake controller" thread and work something out. the hammer is plan C.

cheers
hayzie.
hayzie

Postby sass on Wed, 11 Aug 2010 3:46 +0000

Rodw,
Thanks mate!!!
I just used your idea and removed the ashtray and installed my GME TX3100 in its space.
Worked a treat.
It was quit a tight fit (couldn't use the mounting bracket the radio came with), I ended using 50mm wide self adhesive industrial velcro and velcroed it to the bottom of the ashtray slot.
Good luck if someone wants to steal it!!!!
The velcro holds really well!!!!
The only way to get it out is to work a piece of plastic or cardboard between the velcro and slid it out.
It turned out really well and rods thread was an amazing help.
Thanks again mate
SASS
Last edited by sass on Wed, 11 Aug 2010 4:28 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Sasquatch by name, Sasquatch by nature!!
sass

Postby rodw on Wed, 11 Aug 2010 3:52 +0000

Glad it worked mate, can you post up a pic of the finished job on this thread?
rodw

Postby jakelux on Wed, 11 Aug 2010 5:42 +0000

I did this a while ago the TX3100 is perfect for it. I did have to cut out the bracket that held in the ashtray frame and was a bit fidelly but well worth it. I flipped mine so the speaker was on the bottom and nothing is blocking it. sass do you think your speaker is muffled at all being covered?
jakelux

Postby joshmackay23 on Wed, 11 Aug 2010 6:39 +0000

haha heres my TX3100 aswell!!!

im thinking about getting a plug in external speaker. the current unit volume is good but i like a nice loud uhf to get over the top of my stereo!! does anyone have one or know about them?? thanks

Understate and Over Deliver
joshmackay23

Postby hayzie on Mon, 16 Aug 2010 7:39 +0000

hey guys

Installed my TX 3200 yesterday into the ashtray slot. took a bit of man handling (and a lot of "if it doesn't fit force it!" attitude.) Here's my end result.

Give me a hoi if you have a TX 3200 and would like install into the ashtray.
But if you not to keen on cutting out some of your dash then maybe this inst for you :D :D :D :D

Hayzie.
hayzie

Postby brusa on Mon, 16 Aug 2010 8:10 +0000

Hi folks,
I too considered the old "UHF in the ash tray slot" trick but didn't want to loose the ash tray or butcher the dash and was concerned about the clarity and volume from the speaker, ended up opting for a roof console which opens up your options to a much bigger range of UHF's. I'm running a full din size unit (ICOM IC-400PRO) which have the speaker mounted in the face of the unit and its up at ear level too. Easy to hear and see, perfect for old farts....... (also now have better interior lighting (LED), map lights, storage and it looks neat)
Cheers,
Brusa
FCCW
Brusa.
....the more hair I lose, the more head I get.....
brusa@newhilux.net
brusa

Postby dunno on Mon, 16 Aug 2010 3:21 +0000

brusa wrote:Hi folks,
I too considered the old "UHF in the ash tray slot" trick but didn't want to loose the ash tray or butcher the dash and was concerned about the clarity and volume from the speaker, ended up opting for a roof console which opens up your options to a much bigger range of UHF's. I'm running a full din size unit (ICOM IC-400PRO) which have the speaker mounted in the face of the unit and its up at ear level too. Easy to hear and see, perfect for old farts....... (also now have better interior lighting (LED), map lights, storage and it looks neat)
Cheers,
Brusa

hey brusa what did it cost ya for your roof console

cheers dunno
dunno

Postby hayzie on Mon, 16 Aug 2010 6:56 +0000

brusa wrote:Hi folks,
Cheers,
Brusa

yea a roof console would be good but iv heard roof liners getting unstuck over a period of time so thats the only reason i went for the ashtray slot for the radio. like i said above only do it if you have that type of radio or a small type (TX3100). sounds great where it is, not quite at all. best part about it tho is it costs nothing to mount your UHF there.

Hayzie
hayzie

Postby brusa on Mon, 16 Aug 2010 7:46 +0000

Hi dunno,

its an "Outback" brand roof console from ARB, cost $425 fitted, not a cheap option, I know, but its looks as smick as...... Not sure about the roof lining coming unstuck like hayzie just posted as this is the first time I've had one and its only new but it uses the exsisting interior light mount as an anchor point, time will tell i guess, so maybe some one else has experianced this over time.....if it does I'll be sure to post it on this forum

Cheers
Brusa
FCCW
Brusa.
....the more hair I lose, the more head I get.....
brusa@newhilux.net
brusa

Postby rodw on Tue, 17 Aug 2010 11:29 +0000

Good to see a few doing this trick. If anyone is interested in an external UHF speaker, I have a Benelec one which is just a few months old (purchased in March this year). I pulled it out yesterday because I got my roof console mounted yesterday and it came with a GME unit already installed. PM me if interested.

I fitted the Department of the Interior console which was custom made for my head unit which will not fit in the Outback one. If you reckon the outback one is expensive, you should price up a custom made console with vacuum formed finish painted to colour match the interior! It is a fair bit heavier than the Outback one and it is therefore much more strongly mounted.
rodw

Postby stuckindmud on Sat, 02 Oct 2010 3:49 +0000

Hey Brusa,

Could you post a couple pics of the installed roof console ?
stuckindmud

Postby trymypride on Tue, 19 Oct 2010 4:01 +0000

These installs are great guys.
I also like the idea of the TIC-TACS in the dash pocket SASS....
The handbrake will never know about lunch at the pub.....
:D
trymypride

Postby shanno on Sun, 03 Jul 2011 10:23 +0000

Just bumping an old thread. Which way should I have to speak facing for it to be the loudest??
Cheers,
Shanno

My Buildup
shanno

Next

Return to Electrical