PWR Heater..

PWR Heater..

Postby Steve9R on Fri, 04 May 2007 5:51 +0000

For those with the SR5 and the Pwr Heater.. the manual is a bit vague on its operation and what it is actually doing.. can anyone enlighten me ?

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

PWR Heater..

Postby jcarter on Fri, 04 May 2007 6:45 +0000

from the net manual

The PTC (Positive Temperature Coefficient) heater system contains a PTC heater that heats the air that has passed through the heater core to ensure the proper heater performance.

PTC is standard on Dual cab Diesels.

this manual shows that v6 All and single/extra Diesel has Standard heating.?
"
A compact, lightweight, and highly efficient straight flow (full-path flow) aluminum heater core has been adopted."

PTC Heat output = 450w
Standard = 170w

PTC Heater

1) General

• The PTC (Positive Temperature Coefficient) heater has been adopted as standard equipment on the double cab model with the 1KD-FTV engine for Australia.
• The PTC heater is located above the heater core in the air conditioner unit.
• The PTC heater consists of a PTC element, aluminum fin, and brass plate. When current is applied to the PTC element, it generates heat to warm the air that passes through the unit.

If i read the manual correctly, you can use standard heater without using the PTC.
and only need to use the PTC when necessary.

jcarter

PWR Heater..

Postby Steve9R on Fri, 04 May 2007 7:56 +0000

nah anh nah.... im talking about the "PWR Heater".. its only on the SR5's

on about page 142 of manual, its 'supposed' to when the engines is cold it does something to one of the sensors on the common rail to 'advance' the timing or similar and is supposed to be used on cold mornings or something.. (this is according to a tech at <dealer name removed> Toyota)..

He also said that there could be a recall on all vehicles that dont have it fitted as there has been a lot of complaints...

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

PWR Heater..

Postby Steve9R on Fri, 04 May 2007 8:03 +0000

Actually Ive been doing some research just now..

(Ive taken a bit of translating liberty with it as well)

"PWR Heater = faster heating by an additional load at the engine: Here a small Quirl agitates in a viscous silicone oil. The oil thereby is warmed up in the engine.

Additional heating resistors for ventilating, with which the supply air is warmed up.

Because the engine management decides, when it can switch the VISCOS off again, it dosent harm it when not it to use: The engine becomes warmer faster, the ventilation supplies faster warm air.

The question crucial from the view of the engine is probably, whether it is better for the engine to come on slowly without additional load and operating temperature, or faster with additional load.

I assume that with the VISCUS the latter is somewhat better, since with the oil the mechanical energy of the engine is converted rather directly in warmth.

HP: With the PWR Heater ON you'll notice the higher idling speed only in drive position N or P."

Steve

Steve9R
Valued Contributor

PWR Heater..

Postby Doinit on Sat, 05 May 2007 8:50 +0000

That's correct jcarter, XCab Luxs have "standard" heating, works well. Work SR dualcab has Pwr Heater. Even during black frosty conditions near "The Ridge" @ 5:00 starts, never used it as thought it took the heat away from the engine!
Cheers
Doinit
Doinit

PWR Heater..

Postby Batman on Sat, 05 May 2007 10:30 +0000

I agree with jcarter, the PWR Heater switch activates an additional electric heater element mounted above the heater core. This is provided to heat the air passing through the heater box when the engine is cold. The engine idle up as a result could be to offset the power drawn by the heater element. When switched on the heater element only operates when required, when the motor is warm it does not function. It is controlled by the A/C amplifier.

Cheers Steve.
Batman

PWR Heater..

Postby Steve9R on Sun, 06 May 2007 12:32 +0000

So you're saying there is no oil agitator mechanism hooked to it ?

this toyota tech i spoke with was sure that it was used for pre-heating the oil etc as well..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

PWR Heater..

Postby Batman on Sun, 06 May 2007 8:09 +0000

Steve,
Is the oil agitator mechanism you speak of in the engine or elsewhere? I'm not saying it isn't there for sure, I just can't find any reference to it. I will keep looking!
Cheers Steve.
Batman

PWR Heater..

Postby broke on Sun, 06 May 2007 9:18 +0000

This may sound dull fellas, but if it doesn't hurt to have it on when not required, then since I am in a place where I have cool mornings in winter (Toowoomba) can I just turn it on and leave it on for say 6 mths?
broke

PWR Heater..

Postby Batman on Sun, 06 May 2007 7:07 +0000

Broke,

That's right, if you have your heater on all the time, you may as well have the PWR Heater switch on!

Cheers, Steve.
Batman

PWR Heater..

Postby Steve9R on Sun, 06 May 2007 9:27 +0000

Well according to what Ive been told and what ive read, yes there is some sort of oil agitator in the engine..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

PWR Heater..

Postby Steve9R on Tue, 08 May 2007 3:40 +0000

hahah.. just got a phone call from the Manager of the technical department at <dealer name removed> Toyota apologising.. "The technician who talked to you the other day made a mistake, the PWR Heater is definately NOT anything to do with the engine management system, it is simply like a tangi heating element. The technician has got it wrong and we sincerely apologise"

hahaha.. well at least that clears that up!

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Return to Electrical