Alternator

Changing the alternator

Postby GD40 on Mon, 04 Jun 2018 7:12 +0000

Hi all,

Just did a weekender away in the high country and looks like my alternator has crapped itself. Luckily I had enough charge in my battery to start the car as the cranking and second battery are linked.

Now I'm going to change the alternator myself, it doesn't seem like a big job but I was wondering if there's anything I specifically need to look for?

I drive a 2010 kun26 dual cab manual diesel.

I'm somewhat handy with cars, as I can service my own, but diving deeper into the truck I might struggle. Does anyone know of any decent guides for stuff like this?

Best place to get parts? My mate has a trade account at bursons I use, and they seem fantastic!

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
GD40

Re: Changing the alternator

Postby TOYZX on Mon, 04 Jun 2018 4:24 +0000

Get on to mudgeeraba auto electric the guy there used to be on this site and he does an upgraded alt for our ute. Runs a solid front pully so no shitty one way bearing to crap out and an upgraded reg not a temp sensitive one. I've been running one for a couple of years now good unit.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Re: Alternator

Postby DeadlyBeast on Mon, 04 Jun 2018 5:20 +0000

Threads merged
DeadlyBeast

Re: Changing the alternator

Postby wombat81 on Mon, 04 Jun 2018 5:54 +0000

GD40 wrote:Now I'm going to change the alternator myself, it doesn't seem like a big job but I was wondering if there's anything I specifically need to look for?

Not really. I've changed mine 4 times now. Just bite the bullet and pull the air box out first. It's only 3 bolts and makes accessing the alternator so much easier. I also managed to cross thread the bottom alternator bolt the first time I replaced it. Had to tap it out which was a massive PITA. Don't do that. If you haven't changed the belt for a while you might as well whack a new one on at the same time. Oh, this is probably worth mentioning:
1. DISCONNECT CABLE FROM NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL
CAUTION: Wait at least 90 seconds after disconnecting the cable from the negative (-) battery terminal to prevent airbag and seat belt pretensioner activation.

GD40 wrote:I'm somewhat handy with cars, as I can service my own, but diving deeper into the truck I might struggle. Does anyone know of any decent guides for stuff like this?

I used the the Toyota GSIC manual the first couple of times. It's easy to find if you do some searching. If you get stuck, let me know. I've also got a Gregorys manual in my Hilux, but I won't have access to it until later in the week (Mrs has the car in Charter Towers for work). Again, let me know if you get stuck.

But it's honestly not hard.
1. Pull the air box out - 3 bolts and remove the MAF sensor.
2. Put a socket and long bar on the tensioner pulley. Push it towards the passenger side to release the belt. Pop the belt off. (maybe take a photo of the belt path before you remove it).
3. Unbolt the alternator (two bolts), remove the plug and earth.
4. Put the new one in and reverse the above steps.

GD40 wrote:Best place to get parts? My mate has a trade account at bursons I use, and they seem fantastic!

Like Toyzx said, Bansheebuzz at Mudgeeraba Auto Electrical does upgraded units with solid pulley (no clutch - the clutches do tend to fail, apparently). They are good. I rang him a few weeks back to get a second one off him and he said he was absolutely snowed under and wouldnt be able to get me one done for a few weeks. So give him a call by all means, but you might need a plan B. In the end my auto elec got me an OEX brand alternator. He reckons they're decent. It outputs the same as the banshees upgraded model, so I'm happy. Will be interesting to see how long it lasts because the genuine ones don't seem to have a great life span. The details are here if you're interested: https://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=421981#p421981

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Current: 2021 SR Dual Cab Chassis 4x4 2.8TD Manual
Retired: 2010 SR Dual Cab Chassis 4x4 3.0TD Manual
My current (2021 model) build thread
My previous (2010 model) build thread
wombat81

Postby GD40 on Mon, 04 Jun 2018 7:14 +0000

Wombat81 you're an absolute legend thanks so much.

I did most of the work before coming back to this thread. I took the airbox out and gave the original alternator a good clean and pressure wash, sprayed it with wd40 and will see how that goes.

I'll pop into Bursons tomorrow at work and get some brushes and replace them, see if the cheaper option works.

If not, I'll replace the whole thing before Monday when we head to Robe.

Who knew changing an alternator was so easy, thanks for the chop out lads!!!!

GD40

Postby wombat81 on Mon, 04 Jun 2018 7:18 +0000

GD40 wrote:I'll pop into Bursons tomorrow at work and get some brushes and replace them, see if the cheaper option works.

In my experience it's unlikely to be the brushes. Is it making any sort of noise, like a whistling/whining type noise? If so it's probably the rectifier failing. Seems to be quite common. Otherwise the clutches seem to let go commonly, too.

Good luck with it.
wombat81

Postby GD40 on Mon, 04 Jun 2018 7:21 +0000

It's not making any unusual noises at all. I think the water pump started making a funny noise a few weeks ago and I pulled the belt off and had a play with the pulleys and assumed it was that but now I think of it, it might be the alternator.

Thanks again mate, hopefully get the old girl back on the road before Monday!
wombat81 wrote:
GD40 wrote:I'll pop into Bursons tomorrow at work and get some brushes and replace them, see if the cheaper option works.

In my experience it's unlikely to be the brushes. Is it making any sort of noise, like a whistling/whining type noise? If so it's probably the rectifier failing. Seems to be quite common. Otherwise the clutches seem to let go commonly, too.

Good luck with it.

GD40

Postby GD40 on Thu, 07 Jun 2018 5:12 +0000

wombat81 wrote:

Good luck with it.
Replaced the alternator, pretty simple to do. She struggled to start from the second battery as that was pretty low in juice but she cranked over and I took the truck for a few laps of the eastern and all back to normal.

Thanks for the help mate!!

GD40

Postby clampy on Tue, 28 Jan 2020 7:24 +0000

what do folks do with the old alternators?
The problem with not finishing what i start is
clampy

Postby TOYZX on Wed, 29 Jan 2020 3:48 +0000

I still have an old one, gunna rebuild it one day. It's a modified one from bancheebuzz with a solid pulley etc, died on me after about 18 months.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby wombat81 on Sun, 16 Feb 2020 1:45 +0000

clampy wrote:what do folks do with the old alternators?

Hang onto them and find a place that does exchanges next time you need one.
wombat81

Postby HiluxBill2 on Thu, 30 Jul 2020 9:36 +0000

My alternator has sh1t itself.
My ute only just started this morning, I managed to get to work this morning while watching the volts on my scan gauge sitting around 10.8-11.1.
My question is, if i charge the batteries up and get the 2012 diesel Hilux started, can you drive it 15km (home) where I can replace the alternator.
Will it do any damage?
HiluxBill2

Postby martynvella on Thu, 30 Jul 2020 3:17 +0000

Yes it will be fine if you fully chatge the battery.
martynvella

Postby HiluxBill2 on Thu, 30 Jul 2020 3:52 +0000

Cheers mate
HiluxBill2

Postby oggy on Fri, 31 Jul 2020 6:51 +0000

I did the same thing for a few weeks. Thought battery might be dodgy. So charged it on the Noco. Fine for a couple of days then slow again. Auto elec reckoned alternator was working.
Same time all this happened ute was making a noise like power steering pump was going.
Then other day light on dash comes on. And noise had disappeared. Anyway. Drove it the 20kms to auto elec and they changed it. Back up to 14.1v as opposed to 11.4.
Occupational health and safety officers..Stop messin with Darwin's theory of natural selection... Stupid hippies.

Oggy's build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=19033
oggy

Postby apSlain on Mon, 03 Aug 2020 11:29 +0000

Funnily enough, I'm in the exact same boat as HiluxBill2. Alternator has seemingly died as of last week. It occurred a few days after a service so I was thinking that was related but the alternator on my 'Lux is fourteen years old, p/n 27060-0L020, and at ~182500km so it's pretty ancient.

The battery charges fine off a charger (up to ~12.5v) but won't charge after start-up via the alternator. I have the dash light for the battery on as well. I tested for parasitic draw and nothing worrying came up (0.22 on the multimeter which I believe is fine).

I don't have or plan to have any massive power draw on the alternator outside of the usual tourer items so thinking about putting in an OEX DXA4056 which is their 85A rather than the DXA552U which is the 130A which seems to keep getting recommended? I'm not arsed for a wiring upgrade.

For the sake of preventative maintenance, what else should I be looking at getting swapped out/looked at at the same time? Any long-term reviews of the OEX units above? I can get a genuine DENSO at a comparable price apparently. Thanks fellas.
Check out Slain's Overlander, a perpetual work-in-progress.
apSlain

Postby martynvella on Mon, 03 Aug 2020 2:40 +0000

I put an OEX 552U in at 200k as preventative maintenance and it shit itself at 10k 2 days into a 21 day desert trip, luckily we were in the last sizeable town before the desert section. Ended up putting in a JAS brand 80 amp unit and got a full ref und on the OEX when i got home.

I would recomend sticking with a genuine denso unit but I chose OEX because no ashdown outlet close to me⁰ had any denso units without a wait, should have waited. The JAS alternator is going fine 30k later so fingers crossed.

Tha amazing part is the original alternator's bearings still feel as good as new so I will check the brush length and then carry it as a spare in future.

I also replaced all the idler and tensioner pullies but their bearings feel good too so they are spares too.
martynvella

Postby apSlain on Mon, 03 Aug 2020 9:04 +0000

Thanks for the feedback. Interesting to hear about the OEX, I had only heard decent words them 'till now. Then again, I've only heard bad things about the OEM DENSO alternator but that's lasted me much longer than expected.

Situation is a little more dire now, been charging the battery every night as I need the vehicle for work but the charge is not capable of making the trip. Had a complete shut-down about two corners from home, luckily I could get the battery home, charge it up, and get the car started. Dumb risk.

EDIT: if people are interested in some cost numbers...I've received the following thus far.

• Genuine + Dealership Labour: ~$800 alternator, ~$660 labour.
  • OEX + Mechanic Labour: ~$400 alternator, ~$250 labour.
What a rort from Toyota...have opted for the reconditioned unit from bansheebuzz/Mudgeeraba Auto Electrical. Want to stick with OEM and have only heard good things about MAE's units. Admittedly, I did see a few people's had died a little sooner than expected after re-install but no-one's had bad words and if it does go, I believe there's warranty (asked about everything except that though so need to confirm...) and aftermarket units seem readily available if I desperately need one.
Check out Slain's Overlander, a perpetual work-in-progress.
apSlain

Postby HiluxBill2 on Wed, 05 Aug 2020 10:10 +0000

I had a win, got a OEX Alternator 12V 130A Denso style (Model DXA552) for $203+GST and fitted it myself in 2 hours after a couple of youtube vids and how-to on PradoPoint.
I'll see how long it lasts.
HiluxBill2

Postby wombat81 on Wed, 05 Aug 2020 10:23 +0000

apSlain wrote:What a rort from Toyota...have opted for the reconditioned unit from bansheebuzz/Mudgeeraba Auto Electrical. Want to stick with OEM and have only heard good things about MAE's units. Admittedly, I did see a few people's had died a little sooner than expected after re-install but no-one's had bad words and if it does go, I believe there's warranty (asked about everything except that though so need to confirm...) and aftermarket units seem readily available if I desperately need one.

bansheebuzz is a good guy. Just be aware that he does get crazily busy for periods of time. When my recon alternator died he wasn't available to replace it for about a month, so I had to source another elsewhere. It's not a big deal, just have a backup plan.

I would also recommend learning how to do that change over yourself. You only need very basic tools. I would put aside half a day the first time around, but after a few goes you'll be able to swap it out in under an hour. You'll save a heap on labour and it's good piece of mind if you do have a failure somewhere remote.
wombat81

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical