HID headlights

HID headlights

Postby Tonym on Wed, 07 Mar 2007 7:29 +0000

Has anyone put a HID kit in their new model HiLux? I heard that they are a great improvement. Does the HiLux have polycarbonate lense covers on the lights? Can HID be installed with poly lenses?
Tonym

HID headlights

Postby TOMUCH on Sun, 11 Mar 2007 9:31 +0000

I have been considering it.... I still need to find answers to the same questions you are asking... I have IPF HIDs and they are great...A mate just converted his Landrover to HID Head Lights.... WOW...what a difference.... will keep you informaed if I find out about the poly lenses...can you do the same for me?? I was told that theHIDs produce more heat.. so that may have something to do with it... Cheers
TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

HID headlights

Postby Tonym on Sun, 11 Mar 2007 10:05 +0000

Yes I will let you know if I find out anything.
Tonym

HID headlights

Postby TOMUCH on Tue, 13 Mar 2007 6:07 +0000

I have asked around and have been given the same answer time and time again.... YES you can fit HID Hi/Lo beams to your Hilux with Polycarbonate lenses.... The HIDs produce LESS heat energy than standard halogens.... The main issue is with the Government regulations...Check your state / Territory rules... but basicly all you need to do is ensure they are aimed correctly and are not offensive to oncomming traffic.... albeit non scientific, I think the best way to achieve this is to aim them correctly then get in a mates car and drive towards yours with the lights on on a dark street... if you think they are OK then they should not attract attention from the boys in blue...also, ensure you get the soleniod type (in / out) HIDs ...dont get the fick up and down ones ... I've heard bad things about them going out of alignment.. I ahve seen thes on Ebay for about $250 up....Cheers TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

HID headlights

Postby Tonym on Tue, 13 Mar 2007 6:59 +0000

Thanks for that info. There is a company on the Ford forums site that sells the GE kit with the ballasts and wiring harness for $330 delivered to your door. The product gets some pretty good reveiws on that forum. GE is suposed to be one of the better suppliers to Ford and GM.
Tonym

Return to Electrical