Spotlight wiring..

Spotlight wiring..

Postby Steve9R on Mon, 06 Jul 2009 5:08 +0000

ok.. wired a switch (switching earth) to my relay..

Batt Pos, Spotties and i used the Red/Yellow from high beam as the signal wire, cause i wanted to be only able to use spotties when high beams were on.

BUT.. it appears the RED/YELLOW wire goes from +12v to 0v when high beam comes on.. and i need it to do it the other way around.. so at the moment i can use spot lights at ALL times EXCEPT when high beams are on! ugh..

ideas ?

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Re: Spotlight wiring..

Postby TOMUCH on Mon, 06 Jul 2009 6:11 +0000

Steve, what relays did you use? without lookig at the rest of your setup, and assuming you have done everything else right, then you may be using the incorrect relay. Are you using the four or five pin relays? If they are 5 pin, then you should have them wired up so that they drop out ( to connect the circut) when the power drops out of that line. If that makes any sense. Again, this will hold true if your diagnosis is correct and your using the right wiring as you state. For this relay you would connect to 87A and leave 87 blank. Not sure if this is the only answer to your question, but I think this would solve your prolem. Cheers Mark

bosch.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Re: Spotlight wiring.. what did i stuff up.. ?

Postby cr1pp5 on Mon, 06 Jul 2009 6:16 +0000

here is a cirrcuit diagram for you:

R.I.P. The Bogan Truck 14/11/2007 - 08/05/2010
cr1pp5

Postby cr1pp5 on Mon, 06 Jul 2009 6:18 +0000

cr1pp5

Postby olcoolone on Mon, 06 Jul 2009 6:42 +0000

Try this.

RED with YELLOW trace is the switched negative supply on the left and right hand light that turns on high beam.

BLACK is positive on the right hand light and RED is positive on the left hand light, both the black and red wires have power all the time.

---------------------------------------------------

I would recommend using a standard mini 4 pin 20-40 amp relay with an inbuilt resistor to stop spikes developing when the relay is turned off.

You can also use a diode protected type instead of the resistor protected type but with the diode protected type relay make sure terminal 85 and terminal 86 are connected as below. Terminal 85 has to always have an earth source only and terminal 86 has to have a positive source only or you will destroy the diode protection.

Terminal 85 is the earth and terminal 86 is the positive of the coil in the relay.
Terminal 30 is one side of the switch and 87 and 87a are the other side of the switch.

Always us an inline fuse from the battery positive terminal to the relay making sure the fuse is no more than 200mm from the battery.

If you have 2 X 100 watt lights the fuse ratting would be 20 amps.
200 watts divided by 12 volts equals 16.67 amps.

If you have 2 X 55 watt lights the fuse ratting would be 15 amps.
110 watts divided by 12 volts equals 9.17 amps.
You could use a 10 amp fuse but it is getting very close to the constant running current of the lights.

As a rule of thumb allow about 20 to 25% higher fuse rating.

The size of wiring plays a big part in the lights performance.
Use 5 or 6mm auto cable/wire from the battery to the relay.
Use 4 or 5mm auto cable/wire from the relay to the lights.
Use 4 or 5mm auto cable/wire for all earths.

If using a 4 pin relay always run a separate wire from terminal 87 to each light.

If you were to use a standard mini 4 pin 20-40 amp relay.

Terminal 85 - RED wire with YELLOW trace from back of headlight.
Terminal 86 - RED or BLACK wire from back of headlight.
Terminal 87 – To positive wire on auxiliary light/s.
Terminal 30 – From battery positive terminal via a 20 amp fuse.

If you want to put a switch in you will have to put it in the wire that goes from terminal 85 to the RED/YELLOW wire on the back of the head light.

If you were to use a standard mini 5 pin 20-40 amp relay.

Make sure the relay is not a change over type.

Make sure terminal 87 and 87 are joined when relay is switched.

Terminal 87 – To positive wire on first auxiliary light/s.
Terminal 87 - To positive wire on second auxiliary light/s.

If you want to put a switch in you will have to put it in the wire that goes from terminal 85 to the RED/YELLOW wire on the back of the head light.

If you are using a 6 pin light relay (usually metal cased and not very common).

B - From battery positive terminal via a 20 amp fuse.
S - RED wire with YELLOW trace from back of headlight.
L1 - To positive wire on one auxiliary light.
L2 - To positive wire on one auxiliary light.
S1 & S2 can be joined together and connected to EITHER the RED or BLACK wire from back of headlight.

If you want to put a switch in you will have to put it in the wire that goes from terminal S to the RED/YELLOW wire on the back of the head light.

Most of the times when we install spot lights we don't fit a separate switch to turn them on and off...just another thing to go wrong and extra work for something you may not use………. HOWEVER THIS IS ILLEGAL ……….

Don't forget to earth each spot light.

Regards
Last edited by olcoolone on Mon, 06 Jul 2009 9:12 +0000, edited 2 times in total.
olcoolone

Postby bansheebuzz on Mon, 06 Jul 2009 7:42 +0000

olcoolone has correct hook up method but just want to give you correct pin config

olcoolone wrote:---------------------------------------------------

If you were to use a standard mini 5 pin 20-40 amp relay.

Make sure the relay is not a change over type.

Make sure terminal 87 and 87a are joined when relay is switched.

Terminal 87 – To positive wire on first auxiliary light/s.
Terminal 87a - To positive wire on second auxiliary light/s.

Common 5 pin relays come in 2 forms Normally open or change over
Normally open relay has 2 pins marked as 87 (this is what you want for spotties)
Change over has one marked 87 and other marked 87a

i recommend using a 5 pin relay for conveniance, you can use separate 87 terminals for each spot lights
05 SR5 Xtra Cab D4D
Mudgeeraba Auto Electrical
bansheebuzz

Postby olcoolone on Mon, 06 Jul 2009 8:34 +0000

Bansheebuszz you right, thanks for bringing it to my attention and I have changed it in my original post.

You know what it is like when you take things for granted.

As I said in my post make sure it is not a change over relay.
olcoolone

Postby Steve9R on Thu, 09 Jul 2009 2:12 +0000

hmm thanks guys...

yes it is a 5 pin relay, but i havent removed it yet to check what sort it is.. (ill do that later tonight)..

but i dont think thats the problem..

the main difference to what ive done to what you talk about is where i pick up the red/yellow wire from,
im picking this wire up from under the dash (as spotlights are rear mounted not front), this is the red/yellow wire that goes to the high beam switch on the stalk...

when testing it with multimeter, +12v when high beam is off and 0v when high beam is on..

so i can power the spotlights at all times EXCEPT when high beam is on.. ???????
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby cr1pp5 on Thu, 09 Jul 2009 2:30 +0000

go off the high beam wire under the bonnet...see if there is a wire with 12v on it when high beam is on
cr1pp5

Postby Steve9R on Thu, 09 Jul 2009 2:41 +0000

id prefer not to have to run 'another' wire under the bonnet from inside when they all go back inside anyway..

im just trying to find where inside it is..
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby crosssport on Thu, 09 Jul 2009 2:59 +0000

If you switch earth then you wont need a 12+ when on high beam.
DETERMINATION.....THERE IS NO TRYING...THERE IS ONLY DOING OR NOT DOING!
crosssport

Postby bansheebuzz on Thu, 09 Jul 2009 3:14 +0000

if there mounted facing the rear, dont bother hooking anything through the headlight switch.
05 SR5 Xtra Cab D4D
Mudgeeraba Auto Electrical
bansheebuzz

Postby Squid_87 on Sat, 11 Jul 2009 11:00 +0000

Just sidetracking from Steve's dilemma for a second. My ute came prewired with a pair of Nite Stalker 100w on the front. They work without any problems. Only dilemma is that its wired in a way that when the high beams are on, so are the spotties; theres no switch in the circuit. I was wondering which wire do I tap in to put a rocker switch in and how do I go about it.

Thanks,
Luke
Cheers,
Luke

08/05 SR single cab, heavy duty steel tray, steel canopy with vinyl sides and mozzie net, Dobinsons 2in lift, ECB big tube alloy bar, Nitestalker 100w spotlights, 55w under tray reverse spotlights, 31x10.5 Maxxis Bighorns on 15x7 Sunraysias
Squid_87

Postby rodw on Sun, 12 Jul 2009 5:20 +0000

Squid_87 wrote:Just sidetracking from Steve's dilemma for a second. My ute came prewired with a pair of Nite Stalker 100w on the front. They work without any problems. Only dilemma is that its wired in a way that when the high beams are on, so are the spotties; theres no switch in the circuit. I was wondering which wire do I tap in to put a rocker switch in and how do I go about it.

Thanks,
Luke

Track down the relay for the spotties and follow the instructions from Olcolone earlier in this thread as he tells you which wire to put the switch in.
rodw

Postby stquinny on Sun, 12 Jul 2009 10:11 +0000

I have just had the same prob with my new lux with IPF lights and wiring harness. I called ARB and they said the H/B activating wire to the top wire on the headlight globe and the earth wire from the relay to go to one of the bottom wires on the globe socket. cant remember which one try them both. So just remove the earth wire from the relay and try one of those wires.
That aint livin!!
stquinny

Postby daveo on Wed, 07 Oct 2009 1:44 +0000

I am having soptlight wiring issues as well.

Got given a nite-stalker wiring harness (Hansa Parts number HWH12) which i assume is built for pos switched vehicles. Despite following the above instructions and the packet instructions i cant get it working properly. The relay included has no numbers on it

here is the (abbridged) wiring instructions on the back of the packet:
1. heavy white cable connect to batt positive (so this must be the 30 pole on the relay)
2. Black single wire connect to earth (so this must be the __ pole on the relay?)
3. connect red wire to high beam (so this must be the ___ pole?)
4. connect heavy red wire x2 to spotlights (87 pole)

wiring it up, the spots come on when both low beam and high beam lights are on. have tried swapping the wires around to no avail.

thanks
dave
daveo

Postby daveo on Wed, 07 Oct 2009 9:46 +0000

anyideas out there? maybe i should just cut the relay off this loom and get one with the numbers. so frustrating given that i wired up my old ute without a problem! HELP Please!
daveo

Postby jahaelb on Wed, 14 Dec 2011 6:20 +0000

Hi guys,

Gona have a crack at wiring up my new ralley 4000s on my 2011 Hilux today

Have been reading you posts and just wanna get something right before I get started...

The wiring diagram that cr1pp5 has posted, is that the config if I was to be using an illuminated dash switch? ( 3 pins on back of switch - earth , load , supply ) ?

And if I was to use the instructions posted by olcoolone, then I'm presuming my illuminated dash switch would only have a negative switching wire direct from the red-yellow on my headlight running into it? And then a feed out of the switch back to 85 on my terminal?

Basically guys iv purchased an illuminated switch (that I want to use) but my mate who has told me how to wire my new spots up reckons don't worry about the light on the switch.

I began wiring like he told me ( same as olcoolone post) but I would like to use the illuminated switch for what it's made for

Any help would be very much appreciated

That crew.....

JB
jahaelb

Postby yamahaman on Wed, 14 Dec 2011 6:49 +0000

Here is a wiring diagram although I think that there is a small problem in the wiring diagram on the switch there is an yellow ground wire off the switch and I think its ment to be a 12v posative supply to make the illumination in the swicth work. Mabey the auto electricians can confirm I am only an ordinary electrician and I have got to give it to the auto elecs because this stuff can be confusing.

I have wired my spot lights to suit this diagram with the exeption of the yellow ground at the switch I have given it the flick and I dont have any Illumination at the switch All works perfectly

I found this on the internet

The high beam wire on the back of the headlight for the purple 2mm to join to (blue in picture) is the yellow and red wire
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!
yamahaman

Postby BAT091 on Wed, 14 Dec 2011 9:32 +0000

Yea mate assuming that the switch is not diode protected then yea that yellow wire would be a 12v+ feed and if it was a positive switch circuit then it would be a 12v- feed like it says
Cheers Kirk

BAT091 LUX BUILD THREAD
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=10014
BAT091

Next

Return to Electrical