reverse camera???

reverse camera???

Postby badboymatt on Fri, 19 Jan 2007 11:52 +0000

has anyone put in one ?
does it show much when u r backing?
badboymatt

reverse camera???

Postby kingwilly on Sun, 21 Jan 2007 5:09 +0000

Had one installed but can't say I'm overly impressed with it. It gives a very distorted view of the world. I thought it might help reversing the boat trailer when retrieving the boat but it doesn't help. I've had big problems with the monitor as they don't like the heat. Unfortunately when you live in the tropics the temp outside reaches 40 + degrees and the inside car temp gets well over 70 which apparently is when lcd screens fail. It will come good when the temp goes down. Hope you don't want to reverse in the middle of the day. Anyway the monitor has been replaced once because it completely failed and the 2nd monitor is so warped from the heat I can't see it lasting to long.
kingwilly

reverse camera???

Postby badboymatt on Sun, 21 Jan 2007 8:55 +0000

well it aint get that hot in NZ, esp wellington. im going to hook mine up to a jvc head unit,so hope that gives me a clearer pict. Its a pain when you cant see over the back ot the vehicle cos i toe a jet ski and its real haed to see when launching and retriving. cheers. does it give you a good indication of how close you get to parked cars when parking tho?
badboymatt

reverse camera???

Postby Rich on Sun, 21 Jan 2007 7:26 +0000

Agree, not that great. I have had my reversing camera for over 1 year now. It's good to let you know that there is something behind you, but don't rely on it for judging distance or accuracy etc. Mine has also failed once and I think it's about to fail again. I would like to recommend them, but for $500 I expect better reliability / quality.
Rich

reverse camera???

Postby Waz on Sun, 28 Jan 2007 12:19 +0000

I've got one with 120 degree vision camera mounted under the tray directly above the tow ball and a clip over mirror moniter. Because mine is a trayback with canvas, visibility is RS. Camera is a great solution especially for backing onto the boat trailer with nobody else for directions. I think it's a must if you have little kids around the place. The wide angle is not much good for any distance, so I'm considering getting another camera mounted at roof rack height with a change over switch. I think most monitors are 2 channel.
Waz

reverse camera???

Postby Norm C on Sun, 04 Feb 2007 10:01 +0000

I've got a clip over mirror type monitor from Brash Imports over the web. Works very well.

I had to mount my camera off centre beside the rear number plate. This makes reversing onto a trailer a bit difficult until you are used to it, but now no problem.

I think it is great. With my set up (canopy, fridge, box for boat motor) the internal rear view mirror was close to useless.
Norm C

Return to Electrical